Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 08:11 PM

2 posts, read 4,692 times

Advertisements

I'm white and my daughter's black. I'm looking for a nice, suburb in the Chicago area with good schools and diversity so she wont feel like she stands out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 08:53 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
West Aurora, Oak Park come to mind.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:58 PM

79 posts, read 264,560 times
Wow, I feel really discouraged about how many posts are made by people that are running away from towns due to race, culture and lifestyle preference.

Can I ask where you are coming from/area?

Old 02-04-2009, 09:05 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Evergreen Park?

Old 02-05-2009, 06:44 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Bolingbrook has everything---White, Black, Mexican, east Indians, Chinese and all kinds of mixes too. It's common there for kids to run in social circles made up of all kinds of people. One of my daughter's closest friends were a Black kid, an east Indian kid and a gay Mexican kid. And a mix of social classes too. Hard to find a place more diverse than Bolingbrook. More trendy yes, more diverse no.

The schools are OK, my girls had no trouble getting accepted at Northwestern, U of Chicago and U of Illinois after going to school there. Or maybe it's that the quality of the kid is more important than the quality of the schools?

Old 02-05-2009, 07:35 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,510,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citimom View Post
I'm white and my daughter's black. I'm looking for a nice, suburb in the Chicago area with good schools and diversity so she wont feel like she stands out.
Take a peek at Floosmoor, Homewood, Glenwood, Thornton, and even a few parts of Lynwood. All towns offer both black and white and the area is remaining pretty stable where there isn't a major exodus out of the area by all the white folks because they are afraid of the blacks moving into the area, so the days of thinking "there goes the neighborhood" seem to be gone finally.... Thank God.

Everyone... Or most people I should say, take really nice care of their homes and there is plenty of shopping and places to eat out. Overall the towns are still very nice so check em out. Lynwood is probably not as nice as Floosmoor and Homewood, but still it does actaully have some nice/newer areas where new homes were or are being built (near 394 and rte 30). Also you may want to check across the border in neighboring Dyer, IN which has had a fair amount of rehabbing done to rejuvinate the area.

Heres a nice lil feature that people keep overlooking. Click and drag or click the arrows on the picture and you can basically take a lil drive through where ever. Anywho, this is downtown Homewood. http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...59.997865&z=19

Last edited by NYrules; 02-05-2009 at 07:44 AM..

Old 02-05-2009, 07:47 AM

910 posts, read 2,331,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Bolingbrook has everything---White, Black, Mexican, east Indians, Chinese and all kinds of mixes too. It's common there for kids to run in social circles made up of all kinds of people. One of my daughter's closest friends were a Black kid, an east Indian kid and a gay Mexican kid. And a mix of social classes too. Hard to find a place more diverse than Bolingbrook. More trendy yes, more diverse no.

The schools are OK, my girls had no trouble getting accepted at Northwestern, U of Chicago and U of Illinois after going to school there. Or maybe it's that the quality of the kid is more important than the quality of the schools?
Neighboring Romeoville is nice and just as diverse too. Just bought a house there!

And it's the quality of the kid, and therefore the quality of the parenting, in my opinion...congrats on raising great kids.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:22 PM

358 posts, read 847,636 times
There's no way to tell that. Kids can be cruel. You roll the dice, and pray for the best. There's no magical school that teaches kindness.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:22 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,374,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
Heres a nice lil feature that people keep overlooking. Click and drag or click the arrows on the picture and you can basically take a lil drive through where ever. Anywho, this is downtown Homewood. Google Maps
Thanks for posting the Google maps thing. I love that feature. Clicked on it just to travel back to my old area. What's the first place I see? The dentist office that performed my root canal.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:02 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chummy Waters View Post
There's no way to tell that. Kids can be cruel. You roll the dice, and pray for the best. There's no magical school that teaches kindness.
Even where you have a homogeneous student body, you will still have kids that are cruel. You will have kids who hate you because they don't like the way you dress, look, or talk.

I have to wonder whether all this concern by parents translates into a kid who EXPECTS to be treated differently?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs