Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2019, 10:24 AM

282 posts, read 438,227 times

Advertisements

Good morning! My wife and I are very interested in purchasing a three unit building in Pullman's historic area near 113th and Langley. I know this maybe a very vague question, but what are your thoughts on this investment based on the current situation and future outlook of the area? I know that the area west (Roseland) is not the best area, but I see potential in this little pocket. Similar to Hyde Park on the South Side.

What do you all think? Should we pull the trigger?

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2020, 12:31 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,459,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroy217 View Post
Good morning! My wife and I are very interested in purchasing a three unit building in Pullman's historic area near 113th and Langley. I know this maybe a very vague question, but what are your thoughts on this investment based on the current situation and future outlook of the area? I know that the area west (Roseland) is not the best area, but I see potential in this little pocket. Similar to Hyde Park on the South Side.

Thanks in advance!!
It depends at what price point and what your cash flow would be after expenses. That's something you should definitely check into. I think a lot of new investors in multi units are not checking that and just assuming a rental building will make them rich. Obviously not worth having it if it's not going to positive cash flow after mortgage, insurance and maintenance, as that area is not likely to experience gentrification.

Old 01-02-2020, 01:13 PM

885 posts, read 623,973 times
Pullman is a neighborhood within the city of Chicago. You might get more responses to your query if you post in the Chicago forum, and not in Chicago Suburbs form.

Old 01-02-2020, 06:04 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,067,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroy217 View Post
Thanks in advance!!
What are the economics of the purchase? Will the rent pay the full mortgage, taxes, insurance, administration (taxes, rent collection, taxes, etc.), and upkeep (assuming you pay contractors to do the work)? If not, why would you want to buy it? Also, I would not assume income from the property is "(# of units) times (rent per unit) times (12 months)", I think you should count on each unit being vacant for one or two months per year to be on the safe side (what do other landlords use for the occupancy rate?). Is it, or could it be, Section 8? At least the Feds pay their rent on time.

I have a buddy who owns a trailer park in central Illinois. He currently has no rental units, it was a friggin' nightmare dealing with the professional freeloaders who moved in and then quit paying rent after a couple of months, his rental trailers were largely money-losers due to the lost rent, legal costs to evict, and rehabbing the damage the deadbeats caused after he got them out. Over time, he tore them down rather than rehab them, and sleeps much better these days, even though his income took a hit. Personally, if I were looking to buy rental property, it would be commercial (a warehouse or self-store building or something), that you can simply lock the door on if the tenant quits paying rent. Illinois law is without a doubt on the side of the deadbeats over the property owners, I myself wouldn't own residential rental property in Illinois on a bet. Do you plan on collecting rents yourself, or do you plan to hire a management company?

Old 01-04-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearwest View Post
Pullman is a neighborhood within the city of Chicago. You might get more responses to your query if you post in the Chicago forum, and not in Chicago Suburbs form.
I did post in the Chicago forum.

Old 01-04-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
What are the economics of the purchase? Will the rent pay the full mortgage, taxes, insurance, administration (taxes, rent collection, taxes, etc.), and upkeep (assuming you pay contractors to do the work)? If not, why would you want to buy it? Also, I would not assume income from the property is "(# of units) times (rent per unit) times (12 months)", I think you should count on each unit being vacant for one or two months per year to be on the safe side (what do other landlords use for the occupancy rate?). Is it, or could it be, Section 8? At least the Feds pay their rent on time.

I have a buddy who owns a trailer park in central Illinois. He currently has no rental units, it was a friggin' nightmare dealing with the professional freeloaders who moved in and then quit paying rent after a couple of months, his rental trailers were largely money-losers due to the lost rent, legal costs to evict, and rehabbing the damage the deadbeats caused after he got them out. Over time, he tore them down rather than rehab them, and sleeps much better these days, even though his income took a hit. Personally, if I were looking to buy rental property, it would be commercial (a warehouse or self-store building or something), that you can simply lock the door on if the tenant quits paying rent. Illinois law is without a doubt on the side of the deadbeats over the property owners, I myself wouldn't own residential rental property in Illinois on a bet. Do you plan on collecting rents yourself, or do you plan to hire a management company?
Well two of the units are occupied with tenants. The tenants are to pay all utilities but water. The empty unit is in great shape and can possibly rent for up to $1000. Not going to do section 8, the area is beginning to revitalize. Will not hire a management company at first because we live close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs