Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 03:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,131 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am a first time poster but have been absolutely living on the Chicago suburbs forum for the past few weeks- finally decided to ask for some HELP! We currently live just outside of Philadelphia in NJ. My husband got an amazing job opportunity in Deerfield. He's giving up on retiring as active duty military to start a whole new career, and I'm quitting my job as a nurse anesthetist out here to move to the North Shore area with our 4yo daughter this summer. We're looking as far south as Evanston (thinking that would be close enough to the city if I ended up finding work downtown Chicago or at Northwestern, but reasonable commute for him), all the way up to Highland Park. It all seems crazy but I have no doubt he's going to do very well- it's just all very sudden, so we're taking a lot of deep breaths and trying to learn quickly!

My main questions are regarding taxes and commute times.

Taxes!!! We bought a house in NJ of all places, and the property taxes look far worse in the North Shore. I realize this is just an unfortunate part of living in these desirable areas at the moment, but would it be a huge mistake to buy an expensive home and risk not being able to sell it if things don't work out? We have a decent budget and could probably afford a home in the 600-750000 range, but I feel terrible for all the sellers having so much trouble right now, and am scared of being one of them Rental homes seem so expensive, but then, of course,you have no liability. However, we would be planning to house hunt with the intention to buy during that first 6mo-year anyway, so is moving twice and taking our time learning the areas worth it? Or really, is house hunting to buy and selling at a loss in a year or two essentially the same cost if we're paying $3000+ in rent, just a little more work in terms of maintenance/heartache? Any opinion/advice here would be much appreciated!

Another reason we're wavering on the buy/rent issue is because I have no idea where I'll end up working. He'll be traveling a lot for work but otherwise should have relatively normal 'office hours'. Anesthesia typically starts early (0630-0700), so figuring out how I can operate as a part time single mama in a new place is a challenge. My job here works because her school is across the street from our house, before-care starts at 0630, and it takes me 10-15min to drive to my current hospital. We are guessing that if we found something we loved in the Winnetka/Wilmette section I would have a reasonable chance of finding a job with a 10-20min commute, so buying there might be a safer bet than, for example, finding something in Highland Park, and ending up working in Evanston. Does winter slow down commute times drastically out there? I'm assuming it does, but honestly have no idea. The area is SO much larger than Philadelphia and distances on google maps can only tell us so much.

Luckily it looks like we won't have a problem finding a great school for our daughter, who will be five, and it looks like a beautiful area, so our fingers are crossed for the best. I'm just really struggling with the rent/buy issue given that we don't really know the areas at all. Any opinions or advice would be amazing, thank you for any help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2020, 04:07 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,254,863 times
Default Breathe deeply- rent first, explore then buy later :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipstone View Post
Hello! I am a first time poster but have been absolutely living on the Chicago suburbs forum for the past few weeks- finally decided to ask for some HELP! We currently live just outside of Philadelphia in NJ. My husband got an amazing job opportunity in Deerfield. He's giving up on retiring as active duty military to start a whole new career, and I'm quitting my job as a nurse anesthetist out here to move to the North Shore area with our 4yo daughter this summer. We're looking as far south as Evanston (thinking that would be close enough to the city if I ended up finding work downtown Chicago or at Northwestern, but reasonable commute for him), all the way up to Highland Park. It all seems crazy but I have no doubt he's going to do very well- it's just all very sudden, so we're taking a lot of deep breaths and trying to learn quickly!

My main questions are regarding taxes and commute times.

Taxes!!! We bought a house in NJ of all places, and the property taxes look far worse in the North Shore. I realize this is just an unfortunate part of living in these desirable areas at the moment, but would it be a huge mistake to buy an expensive home and risk not being able to sell it if things don't work out? We have a decent budget and could probably afford a home in the 600-750000 range, but I feel terrible for all the sellers having so much trouble right now, and am scared of being one of them Rental homes seem so expensive, but then, of course,you have no liability. However, we would be planning to house hunt with the intention to buy during that first 6mo-year anyway, so is moving twice and taking our time learning the areas worth it? Or really, is house hunting to buy and selling at a loss in a year or two essentially the same cost if we're paying $3000+ in rent, just a little more work in terms of maintenance/heartache? Any opinion/advice here would be much appreciated!

Another reason we're wavering on the buy/rent issue is because I have no idea where I'll end up working. He'll be traveling a lot for work but otherwise should have relatively normal 'office hours'. Anesthesia typically starts early (0630-0700), so figuring out how I can operate as a part time single mama in a new place is a challenge. My job here works because her school is across the street from our house, before-care starts at 0630, and it takes me 10-15min to drive to my current hospital. We are guessing that if we found something we loved in the Winnetka/Wilmette section I would have a reasonable chance of finding a job with a 10-20min commute, so buying there might be a safer bet than, for example, finding something in Highland Park, and ending up working in Evanston. Does winter slow down commute times drastically out there? I'm assuming it does, but honestly have no idea. The area is SO much larger than Philadelphia and distances on google maps can only tell us so much.

Luckily it looks like we won't have a problem finding a great school for our daughter, who will be five, and it looks like a beautiful area, so our fingers are crossed for the best. I'm just really struggling with the rent/buy issue given that we don't really know the areas at all. Any opinions or advice would be amazing, thank you for any help!!!
Congrats, it will be a fun move for you and your family. Lots to explore here

Definitely rent first to see where you ultimately would like to reside here. It’s much more expensive to buy quickly (and potentially making a bad choice for your needs). Keep in mind you do not need to live in a SFH yet. With a small child not yet in elementary school, plenty of apartments would suffice until you find the right suburb/schools/etc.

Your husband may have decent public trans options if he’s working somewhere along the Lake-Cook corridor in Deerfield (where I live). YMMV.

The housing budget works in your favor here. In fact, you would not need to max out your budget. This would let you absorb some of the higher property tax burden vs your part of NJ. Look around Highland Park and Deerfield in the 550k range on zillow for examples.

Winter commutes are generally longer since road conditions are sometimes poor with snow/ice. Your early start time will help though, although weather related delays can vary.

Old 03-02-2020, 05:22 PM

768 posts, read 1,104,658 times
Rent first - there is so much to explore here and really figure out what you want...

Old 03-02-2020, 08:09 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,415,078 times
Rent for sure.

It will be challenging to match the commute/before care situation you have now. To be honest.... I don't know anyone in a job/specialty like yours that has such an ideal set up.

Any chance you have considered a live in nanny?

That early morning commute/drop off for little one for you is going to be very rough. Traffic to any major city hospital from a suburb will be challenging unless you work for a smaller hospital in that suburb. And winter/snow/weather can really slow down commutes.

Old 03-03-2020, 05:48 AM

249 posts, read 236,840 times
I also agree that renting first is the better / safer option. Each area has its own feel and culture, so you want to make sure you find the place where you feel most at home. Once you accept a new position, you’ll have a better handle on commute times etc and can plant some roots. Best of luck to you!

Old 03-03-2020, 08:26 AM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,365,036 times
Since one job is locked in already in Deerfield, I think you need to look at large suburban hospitals that might work for you. As one example, Glenbrook Hospital in Glenview is a large hospital that is in the Northshore Health system. Bordering the hospital campus to the north is Winkelman Elementary School and bordering to the south is Glenbrook South High School. This might be workable for you. The commute from there to Deerfield going north or ORD going south is not normally a problem traffic-wise. Other hospitals to explore include Highland Park Hospital (also part of Northshore) and Lake Forest Hospital (part of Northwestern Medicine that moved into a new and state-of-the-art facility that opened in 2018).

A little further from Deerfield, but still a decent commute is Northwest Community Hospital in Arlington Heights. The commute to ORD is about the same as Glenview. Two elementary schools and a middle school are nearby.

I think you have a lot of nursing options that do not involve the hassle of going into the city or trying to drive to Evanston from the north or northwest suburbs (which can be a nightmare).

Old 03-03-2020, 12:23 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,415,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjj View Post
Since one job is locked in already in Deerfield, I think you need to look at large suburban hospitals that might work for you. As one example, Glenbrook Hospital in Glenview is a large hospital that is in the Northshore Health system. Bordering the hospital campus to the north is Winkelman Elementary School and bordering to the south is Glenbrook South High School. This might be workable for you. The commute from there to Deerfield going north or ORD going south is not normally a problem traffic-wise. Other hospitals to explore include Highland Park Hospital (also part of Northshore) and Lake Forest Hospital (part of Northwestern Medicine that moved into a new and state-of-the-art facility that opened in 2018).

A little further from Deerfield, but still a decent commute is Northwest Community Hospital in Arlington Heights. The commute to ORD is about the same as Glenview. Two elementary schools and a middle school are nearby.

I think you have a lot of nursing options that do not involve the hassle of going into the city or trying to drive to Evanston from the north or northwest suburbs (which can be a nightmare).

This is great advice.

These are the "smaller" hospitals you should be looking at, in a suburb where you might be living. They are decent sized so may have some job availability. I would not recommend living on the North Shore and commuting in to Northwestern's main hospital downtown, with your family issues/work hours requirements.

Old 03-03-2020, 03:00 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,553,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
I would not recommend living on the North Shore and commuting in to Northwestern's main hospital downtown, with your family issues/work hours requirements.
I would be willing to bet that most of the physicians at Northwestern Medicine and NMH reside in suburban Chicago. At least, that's the way it was, and that's what my dad did.

Old 03-03-2020, 05:10 PM

30 posts, read 26,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I would be willing to bet that most of the physicians at Northwestern Medicine and NMH reside in suburban Chicago. At least, that's the way it was, and that's what my dad did.
Sure. I know a few myself in this area. But I'd bet that most of them have spouses or nannies who handle a lot of the day-to-day childcare duties that the OP is concerned about.

Nthing the advice to rent first, see where you end up working and getting feel for the towns.

Old 03-03-2020, 09:40 PM

259 posts, read 174,278 times
Each neighborhood has a very distinct personality and I would advise to rent before buying and definitely investigate neighborhoods before renting. Evanston, for example, is VERY different from its neighbors up north. Realtors won't help you but if you describe what you are looking for here, you may get some additional ideas whixh areas may be a good fit for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs