Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 07:52 AM

1,946 posts, read 7,372,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
I may be a bit off, but in my opinion, there are quite a few options in Chicagoland that can match Flossmoor's charm and amenities. Flossmoor certainly doesn't have a patent on nice residential architecture and a quaint downtown.

The issues most certainly is which towns N/NW can offer the same "QOL" with relative affordability.

Flossmoor, as far as I've seen, and in doing some quick investigative work, has a few "types" of neighborhoods. But, the vast majority of the town does not rely on a grid format like much of Chicagoland does. Instead, it has winding roads, which adds a certain aesthetic for some. Good tree coverage abound in the older neighborhoods, with nice architecture. Like anywhere else around these parts, the "newer" post war areas have ranches and splits, with less tree coverage... Very vanilla areas that you can find in almost any suburb. So, i'll assume based on your love of the place and the nostalgic vibe I'm getting, you grew up in the former and would prefer the older neighborhoods.

So, in making some assumptions, I won't reference more traditional grid towns like Park Ridge or Elmhurst. Just know that those are great options. Instead, I would (again) start by looking in certain areas of Clarendon Hills and Northbrook. Both have pockets of old architecture, quaint little town centers, and neighborhoods with winding roads.

Yes! Curvilinear streets, old houses (well maintained old houses) and the tree canopy
Sigh... that's all I need but surrounded by a nice progressive town lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2020, 10:54 AM

15 posts, read 16,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Hi everyone. Toying with the idea of a move back to Chicago. Lived in Flossmoor in the early 2000's and loved the sense of community, schools, architecture, diversity, downtown, and library. What burbs would you suggest that most closely have a similar vibe and outlook that Flossmoor had then? 300's-400's. Thanks!

We're from Chicago - have lived pretty much all over the country and really, few to no places have beaten Chicago's amenities.

Edit to add: Can be a townhouse or maaaybe a condo. We don't have to have a sfh, but would prefer it. Don't want to do any major rehab projects.
Take a look in Westmont if you’re a fan of a broken in town with a nice mix of older and new homes. Downtown is quaint but they have some project moving forward to modernize it a bit. Schools are smaller if you’re in the westmont school district but are highly rated in regards to academic performance. Message me if you have any questions. I just moved here and I think it checks all of your boxes.

Old 08-15-2020, 06:43 AM

2 posts, read 1,256 times
I also lived in Flossmoor during the early 2000s and went to HF. We've been searching the Chicagoland area over a year looking for somewhere similar to Flossmoor in the same price range (particularly Oak Park and Evanston) and couldn't find anything with the square footage (+3800 sq ft) with modern amenities (open floor plan, attached garage) and great schools. We couldn't find anything better particularly when it came to diversity so we decided to go ahead and move back to Flossmoor! We put an offer on a house and should be closing in September. There is nowhere else in the Chicagoland suburbs like it.

We also heard it had gone down in recent years, but then when we actually drove out there to see with our own eyes it looked pretty similar to the early 2000s with more businesses than I remember in some parts. Looking forward to raising our kids back there and coming home after living away from family and traveling all over the world the past 20 years (for school and more recently work). Excited to be going home and raising our children close to family.

Old 08-15-2020, 10:59 AM

93 posts, read 126,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanGirl2020 View Post
I also lived in Flossmoor during the early 2000s and went to HF. We've been searching the Chicagoland area over a year looking for somewhere similar to Flossmoor in the same price range (particularly Oak Park and Evanston) and couldn't find anything with the square footage (+3800 sq ft) with modern amenities (open floor plan, attached garage) and great schools. We couldn't find anything better particularly when it came to diversity so we decided to go ahead and move back to Flossmoor! We put an offer on a house and should be closing in September. There is nowhere else in the Chicagoland suburbs like it.

We also heard it had gone down in recent years, but then when we actually drove out there to see with our own eyes it looked pretty similar to the early 2000s with more businesses than I remember in some parts. Looking forward to raising our kids back there and coming home after living away from family and traveling all over the world the past 20 years (for school and more recently work). Excited to be going home and raising our children close to family.
Congratulations & welcome home!

Old 09-02-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:

Oh yeah!! Congrats You are absolutely correct - nothing like Flossmoor and hard to beat it.

Looked a few minutes ago at For Sale's in Flossmoor. It's soooo hard to accept the taxes. Our old house went from $4800 to $7500 in 15 years which while high is not insane. Houses in the price point we'd look in are averaging around 9k. That is so much. Makes it harder to justify for us compared to out west where we lived in the desert - comparable taxes annually were about 2k, pretty much the same in the south but less about $1500 annually.

Old 09-02-2020, 12:38 PM

2 posts, read 1,256 times
We're moving back from New Jersey where taxes are $10,000 to $12,000 on average so these taxes really don't bother us so much. Also these taxes are way less than private schools in Chicago. I guess it really depends on where you are coming from.

Old 09-02-2020, 12:53 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,912,172 times
The more I look, the more I feel like Flossmoor is an anomaly.

The median SFH is actually well below the Chicagoland median, but the schools are strong, it's diverse, and it's neighborhoods have the aesthetic I'd associate with higher end towns... Older homes, diverse architecture, well kept.

Even in my past life living in Chicago, I never really knew much about Flossmoor. But what am I missing? Why is it so affordable? The median income is $100k+, adults with a bachelors degree is 60%+. In fact, Flossmoor has very similar median income/educational attainment as towns like La Grange and Elmhurst, but it's 50%+ cheaper.

Is it just a hyper local market with low demand?

Old 09-02-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:
We're moving back from New Jersey where taxes are $10,000 to $12,000 on average so these taxes really don't bother us so much. Also these taxes are way less than private schools in Chicago. I guess it really depends on where you are coming from.
You're right. Taxes much less than going private for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
The more I look, the more I feel like Flossmoor is an anomaly.

The median SFH is actually well below the Chicagoland median, but the schools are strong, it's diverse, and it's neighborhoods have the aesthetic I'd associate with higher end towns... Older homes, diverse architecture, well kept.

Even in my past life living in Chicago, I never really knew much about Flossmoor. But what am I missing? Why is it so affordable? The median income is $100k+, adults with a bachelors degree is 60%+. In fact, Flossmoor has very similar median income/educational attainment as towns like La Grange and Elmhurst, but it's 50%+ cheaper.

Is it just a hyper local market with low demand?
The demand has been fairly consistent from my unofficial scouting out in the years we have left. Much lower prices during the '08-11 era.

For many folks like me Flossmoor was/is perfect. Lots of diversity with folks pretty much on the same page when it comes to sense of community and quality of life. The schools when we left were very good but that trended downwards but then eventually cycled back upwards. There are some surrounding suburbs that have seen better days.

There were quite a few foreclosures in the mid 2000's, I'm guessing mostly due to the spiraling taxes. Also certain areas are absolutely prone to flooding - as in water in the basement which depending on the cause can be easy or not to remedy.

After some of the things we have experienced elsewhere across the country - wildfires, 118 degree temps, "severe weather" half of the year (needing to "take cover" from hail and tornadoes). The cold, snow and taxes of Illinois don't look half bad. But there is such a distinctly different vibe in other parts of the country that translates into an almost bubble like experience which admittedly I actually like lol. It would be hard to go back to the Chicago area.

Where we live(d) it's soooo chill. It's beautiful, women leave their purses in the grocery carts and walk away lol - something that I of course don't do but the point is it can be done. Super super safe everyone smiles and is helpful - feels like your're on a constant vacay. Ample sized newer houses. But man there is for sure a trade off. You don't get the good street food, excellent museums, stunning architecture and logical carefully thought out city planning done over 100 years ago, the lake, a grid system for ease of movement throughout the city and all that Chicago offers.

I truly miss my city but not the crime, cold, taxes and corruption. I could probably manage the weather but I'd miss the laid back vibe of the places we have lived. Decisions.

Old 09-03-2020, 07:34 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,915,130 times
H/F is cheap because there are few high paying employers within easy commuting distance. The University of Chicago and the hospitals are about it. Downtown Chicago is doable but it's a long slog on clogged expressways, or else a ride on a train that rarely comes. If you can live in H/F and make a good living without a nightmare commute, you've got it made.

Old 09-04-2020, 02:44 AM

30 posts, read 66,422 times
Actually the commute by train is very convenient. Metra Electric is the most convenient in proximity to downtown and reliable. You can get downtown in about 30 minutes during rush hour incoming and outgoing. There is no such thing as a perfect area as this pandemic has shown us. My hairstylist informed me that his friend was robbed in the West Loop this week of his car and photography equipment. “Perfect” areas can be turned to not so perfect areas in a heartbeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs