Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 09:27 AM

11 posts, read 11,953 times

Advertisements

For a family that has kids in KG-2nd grade, where would be a great place to buy their house in/live and raise their family?

So far, they have seen houses in South Elgin that falls in St Charles 303
Fox River Grove that falls in Barrington SD (nice houses but is it too far out? possibility of floods?)
Crystal Lake that feeds into CL - SD (too far out?)

Budget is 400k-500k, 3000+ sq ft 4Bed, 3+BR, newer(1990?) houses and ideally with a reasonably well-sized / private backyard.
Schools (K-12) MOST important.
One parent work in downtown Chicago- so metra station is important.
One parent work in Lombard, IL- but has to work from office only 1 day/week. Sometimes 2.
Closer to retail, hospital and such conveniences will be nice.
Do not want to buy a very old property or in places under risk of going down in value in the next 10 years.

Naperville- seemed pricey, over-crowded, busy and metra station - parking issues.
Schaumburg - very old houses for the price.

With the budget- are they looking for something that they can't find? Overlooking any other towns that will work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2020, 12:31 PM

57 posts, read 63,746 times
Crystal Lake Prarie Grove seems like it'd fit your criteria perfectly. You'll get a nice house for the money. Yes you'll be far out there, but the Metra has 2 stops and great service to downtown. Lots of parks too, I think highest number of parks per capita in the state.

Old 07-26-2020, 08:44 PM

11 posts, read 11,953 times
Is the South Elgin area (thornwood) not as good as the Barrington area? I see newer construction with better parking for shopping and wider roads/access to I-90 in SE. But would you say, Barrington 220 is better than St Charles 303? I am worried about being in Fox River Grove to be in Barrington SD. Is the area flood prone? Could the Fox River Grove area houses depreciate vs say a newer community like Thornwood?

Old 07-29-2020, 06:19 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
South Elgin is a nice area and D303 is an excellent school system, but I wouldn't want to commute to downtown from there! There is a large quarry in that area so keep that in mind (check aerial views) before committing. Geneva has a metra station so maybe take a look there if train service is important. Geneva schools are also excellent.

Old 08-04-2020, 11:30 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,004,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
South Elgin is a nice area and D303 is an excellent school system, but I wouldn't want to commute to downtown from there! There is a large quarry in that area so keep that in mind (check aerial views) before committing. Geneva has a metra station so maybe take a look there if train service is important. Geneva schools are also excellent.
For what it's worth, we live in Elgin (though we're selling our house/trying to relocate currently) and there was a period where 3 out of the 5 work days of the week I would commute from the big timber metra station in Elgin to downtown. On the express times it wasn't un-bearable and it was some nice-downtime, but it's not something I would have wanted to do daily unless I had no other option. If you had the option to work downtown a few days of the week and work from home the other days it would be way more do-able in my opinion.

Old 08-06-2020, 05:42 PM

69 posts, read 77,391 times
We are buying in a new community that has the address of Elgin (but on the map is closer to South Elgin and Campton Hills). We fell in love with the area but we do not plan to go downtown often. We are buying a new construction home because we did not find a floor plan and finishes that works for us in the existing homes for sale.

Old 08-08-2020, 06:51 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,004,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsDogsSun View Post
We are buying in a new community that has the address of Elgin (but on the map is closer to South Elgin and Campton Hills). We fell in love with the area but we do not plan to go downtown often. We are buying a new construction home because we did not find a floor plan and finishes that works for us in the existing homes for sale.
Contrary to most popular belief, Elgin has some really nice pockets, especially on the outskirts. Having lived here for a few years my wife and I have really enjoyed the majority of the area.

Old 08-08-2020, 07:17 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsDogsSun View Post
What, you have a problem with Oak everything?

Welcome to the hood, I'm in St. Charles, but very close to South Elgin/Campton Hills.

Old 08-10-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
Contrary to most popular belief, Elgin has some really nice pockets, especially on the outskirts. Having lived here for a few years my wife and I have really enjoyed the majority of the area.
Yes, I agree. We fell in love with the area - lovely homes and some very nice, small farms.

Old 08-10-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
What, you have a problem with Oak everything?

Welcome to the hood, I'm in St. Charles, but very close to South Elgin/Campton Hills.
Ha ha! Yes, the Oak everything is not my favorite! We are so looking forward to living in Kane County (after over 20 years in downtown Chicago)! Open spaces, more nature and much easier to get around than the city. We wanted one-story with a basement. Inventory is pretty low right now but we found a new construction community that has one-story homes with basements, white trim and wood floors throughout (tile in laundry and baths). We loved it! And some lovely small farms and barns nearby that are so charming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs