Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 12:50 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,749,542 times

Advertisements

What about homes near Mt. Prospect/Prospect Heights?
Schools are pretty good there, aren't they? I mean, not New Trier or Stevenson, but solid? Cold he find something west of 294 in the upper 200's?

Also, I don't know your field of work, but to transfer someone from the UK for a position - I think this sounds like they're lowballing you on the salary. Please understand this is a somewhat uninformed opinion, but it just doesn't sound right to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 01:01 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
There are a lot of issues.

On a purely 'add up the budget' sort of summary I know that expenses BEYOND housing for a family of four could easily be several thousand a month. A while back CHICAGO Magazine did a feature story on "what do they spend" -- some crazy lawyer was spending like $15,000 a month on his AmEx card, other singles were spending a lot less, maybe even under $500. With two school age kids I would guess that the average monthly expenses for would be about $1500 or so. Property taxes and monthly association fees on a modest attached dwelling would be about $6000/yr. Communting costs could easily be $300/month.
Healthcare????

Things looks very tight from where I sit...

Last edited by chet everett; 05-02-2008 at 01:25 PM..

Old 05-02-2008, 01:18 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,522,795 times
Without a mortgage, you'd be able to live somewhat comfortably on $55K as long as your kids don't go to private schools. You'll have to pick an area with good public schools, and where your commute to work will not cost an arm and a leg.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:31 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc3217 View Post
What about homes near Mt. Prospect/Prospect Heights?
Schools are pretty good there, aren't they? I mean, not New Trier or Stevenson, but solid? Cold he find something west of 294 in the upper 200's?

Also, I don't know your field of work, but to transfer someone from the UK for a position - I think this sounds like they're lowballing you on the salary. Please understand this is a somewhat uninformed opinion, but it just doesn't sound right to me.
A single family detached home anywhere in any sort of safe neighborhood around Prospect Heights under $200 would still be as scarce as hen's teeth...
Prospect Heights is considerably less desirable than Mt. Prospect, where you could raise the floor by $50K or more.

I do agree that the traditional level of an overseas transfer is at the "senior manager / jr. executive" level -- a salary level that corresponds to something a good 50% more than the salary that is being offered to the OP. While it may be a very handsome salary for a new college graduate, to support two the typical two vehicle lifestyle needed in suburban Chicago it is not much at all, even if the house is free & clear. There will still be property taxes and utilities and medical costs and unexpected maintenance needs. What about furniture? Company is going to move all that?

Believe me the people living AT the median income in Grayslake or Mundelein are not living the high life.

Last edited by chet everett; 05-02-2008 at 01:42 PM..

Old 05-02-2008, 01:47 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,749,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
A single family detached home anywhere in any sort of safe neighborhood around Prospect Heights under $200 would still be as scarce as hen's teeth...
Prospect Heights is considerably less desirable than Mt. Prospect, where you could raise the floor by $50K or more.
Well that brings me back to what I was first going to post:

When OP starts house shopping, he's going to end up looking at 350K homes minimum, meaning he'll have a $100,000 mortgage. So doing a budget,and assuming this is 55K salary before taxes, etc.

55,000 x .8 (-20% for taxes) = 44,000
Let's say he's got a 401K (I know this is accountant's nightmare how I'm doing this but...)
44,000 x .95 (-5% in the 401K) - $41,800

So lets say he's got a household budget of $40,000; $3,300 month

100,000 Mortgage = 600/mo
Guesstimate property taxes = $500/mo
Food = $600/mo
Gas/commute = $350/mo
Utilities - 300 for gas, electric & water
Phone - 100 easy
Vacation fund - $250/mo
Kid activities - $150 / mo

Very tight. Depends on how OP lives now, and what kind of housing bargains he can find.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:54 PM

702 posts, read 2,523,107 times
I have to agree with everyone, 55K is very difficult to live on for a single person let alone a family of four. I hate to be discouraging because you sounds like you are really looking forward to the move. Can you negotiate a raise for this transfer? I am kind of surprised because usually people coming from europe do better coming to America with the current state of our dollar.

Is it possible for your wife to work part time or full time? That would help you out a lot. I just wish you and your family the best. I am so glad you found this forum. You will get candid and helpful answers to your questions.

Old 05-03-2008, 01:58 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times
55k is hard for a single person? lol

Old 05-03-2008, 02:38 AM

8 posts, read 49,424 times
Hi Everyone,
I really don't know how I could have had access to such a lot of information so quickly in any other way; this site is superb!
I'd like to thank everyone that contributed, in particular, Chet and cdc3217, also everyone else that helped; your comments has been very helpful and without a doubt will make a huge impact on my decision. If you ever need to know anything about UK just contact me and I will do my best to help out. I will check the thread for another week to check for any additions.
I think I have to either re-negotiate to increase my salary or pass on this opportunity and wait for the next one.
Once aging thanks very much.
George

Last edited by George_Sully; 05-03-2008 at 03:40 AM..

Old 05-03-2008, 08:34 AM

389 posts, read 1,986,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
55k is hard for a single person? lol
that shocked me too... my annual income is less than $16000. and i am surviving.. well i live with my sis in LBS, i just bought a mini cooper, i pay my insurance, car payment, gas, groceries, i also shell out $400/mo kind of my "rent" for living with my sis... but that's about it. in order for me to survive with all my expenses monthly and my measly salary that means i dont have a life. but im used to not having a life anyway... so. i wonder how hard could it be budgeting a 55K? i would have a life.. thats for sure.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:19 AM

702 posts, read 2,523,107 times
The original poster was inquiring about the areas around Northfield. I realize 55K can work for families in other communities, but not in Northfield and the surrounding communities. Perhaps you could advise the OP on communities where he and his family would be able to live comfortably on his salary and still hit all his requirements. I think that would be very helpful and I am sure he would appreciate your advise.

Last edited by Calidreemer; 05-03-2008 at 10:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs