Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2008, 06:32 AM

2 posts, read 10,983 times

Advertisements

i'm thinking of moving to lansing and the house i'm looking at sits one street over from what looks like a major train track (sherman ave near the golf course). can anyone tell me about train frequency, noise, etc?

(I mean Lansing Illinois)

Last edited by kjkkad; 05-07-2008 at 07:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 08:53 AM

1,216 posts, read 5,773,334 times
I live near the Metra Rail line [milwaukee west] and Ugggggggg, i honestly do not know how some folks can live so close to the tracks [in back yards, across the street, etc]

their homes must just shake and rattle.

I used to live 3 blocks away ... and i had this dresser drawer that had handles that clanked very time a train went past. .... ALLLLLL hours of the night.

7yrs ago, we moved 3 more blocks farther away .... and while we still hear them... i have nothing that rattles.

my point being.... I'd NEVER live close to train tracks AGAIN.

I can't tell you specifically about that rail system in Lansing.... but it's possible it is Freight and Passenger... then the frequency will be high.

I know there are some tracks where it may only run once per week.... but i highly doubt it.

Hopefully someone familiar with that area will jump in.... but i for one would avoid any and all tracks.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:58 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
I used to live right on top of the Metra station on Rt. 59 in Naperville and never had an issue with anything rattling, etc. The apartments had nice, thick glass to drown out the sound and it worked wonders. You really had to strain to hear the trains, thats how insulated the place was. But if youre going to buy and older home right next to the tracks, it might become annoying. I dont know how some people do it, or also live right under the airports. Ugh, no thanks.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:03 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,464,245 times
I'll second what was said about Freight and Passenger tracks above. We're looking in areas that have various railroad tracks and our realtor said to avoid any tracks that have freight cars-- they're a lot louder and they take FOREVER to pass-- all hours of the day and night.

Commuter tracks are not as bad, according to her. The heaviest traffic is during rush hour-- when you may not be home anyway-- the trains pass quickly and relatively quietly (except when they blow their horns), and there isn't any traffic in the middle of the night.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:33 AM

36 posts, read 188,510 times
I completely agree with tcs 1366! We just finished renting for 8 months in Grayslake with a train in our backyard (freight and metra). Even once a local law passed for "quiet corridor" with no train horns the house would still rattle at night. I completely slept through the earthquake because my body was conditioned to rattling!! The freight trains run all night- esp. on Sundays.
Don't think it is a good idea for resale either...

Old 05-07-2008, 09:39 AM

863 posts, read 2,784,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjkkad View Post
i'm thinking of moving to lansing and the house i'm looking at sits one street over from what looks like a major train track (sherman ave near the golf course). can anyone tell me about train frequency, noise, etc?

(I mean Lansing Illinois)
I live right in the area you are looking at (around 186th and Sherman). The trains (mostly freight, occasionally Amtrak) come through pretty frequently (I'd estimate one every two hours or so) and we only hear the train whistle/horn, not the actual train. However, after a few days of moving in, I didn't even notice. I don't know if you would adjust the same way, but it doesn't even register with me anymore.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:47 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,773,334 times
Yes -- Steve -O, we did live in an old home [built in th '20's] . but even if i was in a new home... I'd still never live near tracks.

our next home will be 50 miles from trains, planes and highways ... i currently have all 3.

Old 05-09-2008, 05:12 PM

2 posts, read 10,983 times
thanks everyone, especially skye1974
if you happen to take a walk in nice weather down to the end of Sherman, maybe you could ask anyone you see on the street about it????

Old 05-12-2008, 05:36 AM

863 posts, read 2,784,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjkkad View Post
thanks everyone, especially skye1974
if you happen to take a walk in nice weather down to the end of Sherman, maybe you could ask anyone you see on the street about it????
I will do that.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:39 AM

2 posts, read 9,652 times
i live behind the metra in the chicago suburbs and dont even notice a thing. i've lived there 20 years. but it's a commuter train which is significantly less noisy than say amtrak trains. in college i got a dorm right behind an amtrak route and it's livable, but a little more noisy. also check out if your town has a law requiring a train to blow its whistle every time it passes through a station. if you're close to the station, that's going to be unbearable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs