Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2021, 02:57 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
I think the OP is implying the Northern communities need a good dose of BLM and not only by donations.
Actual disadvantaged people moving into those high opportunity areas, not just those yard signs they put out!

Old 09-27-2021, 10:37 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,544,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
It must be very small indeed. African Americans make up 1.2% of Glencoe's population. Since 8,800 people live there, that means there are only about 100 or so!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glen...e%20population.
Certainly. But, it's a visible and affluent population. Pretty much everyone in Glencoe knows a black family that lives there.

I hope the OP realizes that Chicago suburbs are fairly small and people have a tendency to live around people that are like them. It's not exclusionary policies anymore that stop minorities from settling in communities like Winnetka. It's a choice by them. Many of the Indian people who purchase monstrosities in South Barrington or Oak Brook could afford something more modest and more tasteful in Winnetka or Hinsdale. They largely choose not to for reasons that have nothing to do with being excluded.

Old 09-28-2021, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Certainly. But, it's a visible and affluent population. Pretty much everyone in Glencoe knows a black family that lives there.

I hope the OP realizes that Chicago suburbs are fairly small and people have a tendency to live around people that are like them. It's not exclusionary policies anymore that stop minorities from settling in communities like Winnetka. It's a choice by them. Many of the Indian people who purchase monstrosities in South Barrington or Oak Brook could afford something more modest and more tasteful in Winnetka or Hinsdale. They largely choose not to for reasons that have nothing to do with being excluded.
The median home sold price in Winnetka is $1.1 million. That's what excludes black and brown people, who tend to make a lot less. I bet you a significant number of liberal Winnetka residents decry "systemic racism" and "white privilege," of which this disparity would be one result. So if they believe that, then they should take affirmative steps to cure it, such as a large affordable housing development or two in their downtown!

Of course that will never happen. Instead, they'll continue to virtue signal, supported by citing to a small handful of minorities who may live in their town. Maybe they'll even protest when the median price of a house in a minority majority city neighbourhood goes fron 210k to 220k due to gentrification. But in the end, they'll still live in an isolated bubble, safely protected by high housing costs and property taxes.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...ka_IL/overview

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...go_IL/overview

Last edited by BRU67; 09-28-2021 at 06:51 AM..

Old 09-28-2021, 07:03 AM

Quote:
The median home sold price in Winnetka is $1.1 million. That's what excludes black and brown people, who tend to make a lot less. I bet you a significant number of liberal Winnetka residents decry "systemic racism" and "white privilege," of which this disparity would be one result. So if they believe that, then they should take affirmative steps to cure it, such as a large affordable housing development or two in their downtown!

Of course that will never happen. Instead, they'll continue to virtue signal, supported by citing to a small handful of minorities who may live in their town. Maybe they'll even protest when the median price of a house in a minority majority city neighbourhood goes fron 210k to 220k due to gentrification. But in the end, they'll still live in an isolated bubble, safely protected by high housing costs and property taxes.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...ka_IL/overview

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...go_IL/overview
I'm a North Shore native. There are many non-white multimillionaires in this country and in the Chicagoland area. I just gave you two examples of similarly affluent communities with much larger populations of non-white people. Winnetka's median sales price might be $1.1 million. But, in my parents' Evanston neighborhood, the median sale price is even higher. On their block, there is an Indian family that paid $1.8 million for a home, and just down the street, there is an African-American family that paid $2.1 million for a home. Surely, they could have afforded to live in Winnetka or wherever, but decided NOT to. I have ZERO interest in living in Winnetka or Glencoe or Highland Park, and I think a lot of people feel the same way, and many of those people are minorities who could afford it. Meanwhile, my SO will be showing a $1,100 studio apartment in Winnetka today—to a white lady.

Old 09-28-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
I'm a North Shore native. There are many non-white multimillionaires in this country and in the Chicagoland area. I just gave you two examples of similarly affluent communities with much larger populations of non-white people. Winnetka's median sales price might be $1.1 million. But, in my parents' Evanston neighborhood, the median sale price is even higher. On their block, there is an Indian family that paid $1.8 million for a home, and just down the street, there is an African-American family that paid $2.1 million for a home. Surely, they could have afforded to live in Winnetka or wherever, but decided NOT to. I have ZERO interest in living in Winnetka or Glencoe or Highland Park, and I think a lot of people feel the same way, and many of those people are minorities who could afford it. Meanwhile, my SO will be showing a $1,100 studio apartment in Winnetka today—to a white lady.
The median income for African-Americans in Chicago is about $30k. For Winnetka, it is nearly $100k. To suggest that more than a tiny fraction of Chicagoland's African-Americans can afford to live in Winnetka but choose not to is a fallacy. There is more diversity in Oak Brook and South Barrington, this is true, but it is Asian/White diversity. Those communities are only 2% and 0.7% African-American respectively. Hispanics aren't much better represented at 4.3% and 2.6% respectively.

But anyway, if that's indeed true, then maybe everyone can shut up about gentrification and low income housing requirements now? I mean, if large numbers of non-whites can afford to live in Winnetka, Oak Brook, and South Barrington, then they certainly can afford to live in Logan Square and Pilsen!

Old 09-28-2021, 10:09 AM

60 posts, read 29,144 times
Screw the bastards, there is no place for snottiness in America. But it’s here and getting worse.
I am white and poor and I get sneering glares at times, because of how I dress. I just tell myself that I can wait for Judgement Day, and then things will get leveled out.

Old 09-28-2021, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blistered View Post
Screw the bastards, there is no place for snottiness in America. But it’s here and getting worse.
I am white and poor and I get sneering glares at times, because of how I dress. I just tell myself that I can wait for Judgement Day, and then things will get leveled out.
Hopefully. God certainly must know that they're not getting it done through housing policies which will have any actual impact on them!

Old 09-28-2021, 11:07 AM

Quote:
The median income for African-Americans in Chicago is about $30k. For Winnetka, it is nearly $100k. To suggest that more than a tiny fraction of Chicagoland's African-Americans can afford to live in Winnetka but choose not to is a fallacy. There is more diversity in Oak Brook and South Barrington, this is true, but it is Asian/White diversity. Those communities are only 2% and 0.7% African-American respectively. Hispanics aren't much better represented at 4.3% and 2.6% respectively.

But anyway, if that's indeed true, then maybe everyone can shut up about gentrification and low income housing requirements now? I mean, if large numbers of non-whites can afford to live in Winnetka, Oak Brook, and South Barrington, then they certainly can afford to live in Logan Square and Pilsen!
The median annual income in Winnetka is definitely higher than $100k. Even so, there are thousands of black millionaires in the Chicago area. A wealthy African-American family is just much more likely to choose a luxury home in Kenwood, Hyde Park, Olympia Fields, Evanston, or Oak Park than they are Winnetka. Ditto for Asians in South Barrington, Lincolnwood, Oak Brook, etc. vis-a-vis Winnetka. It's just a preference issue. The whole narrative of black people being super poor when most African-Americans in this country are middle class needs to stop. Winnetka is NOT exclusionary.

Old 09-28-2021, 11:51 AM

Quote:
The median annual income in Winnetka is definitely higher than $100k. Even so, there are thousands of black millionaires in the Chicago area. A wealthy African-American family is just much more likely to choose a luxury home in Kenwood, Hyde Park, Olympia Fields, Evanston, or Oak Park than they are Winnetka. Ditto for Asians in South Barrington, Lincolnwood, Oak Brook, etc. vis-a-vis Winnetka. It's just a preference issue. The whole narrative of black people being super poor when most African-Americans in this country are middle class needs to stop. Winnetka is NOT exclusionary.
Sorry to break it to you but Winnetka is exclusionary. You are going on ancedotal evidence and emotion. The data shows that very few Chicagoland African-Americans could afford to live there. That makes it exclusionary.

And this could be corrected by affordable low income housing developments, which many North Shore residents no doubt support (just not by them). Then we might start talking about it not being exclusionary. Until that happens I would view it as exclusionary, as would objective data.

Also, do you have any factual support for the statement that there are thousands of black millionaires in Chicago? Only 2.1% of African American households in Chicago earned over a $100,000/year as of 2015, and there has been a lot of black flight from Chicago and Cook County since then. Not saying you're wrong. You can be a millionaire and not be particularly rich, or be able to afford the North Shore. Just have not seen that data.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...925-story.html

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...130-story.html

Last edited by BRU67; 09-28-2021 at 12:02 PM..

Old 09-28-2021, 12:01 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,203,209 times
I’m confused because your OP says North Chicago suburbs but you seem to be focused strictly on the North Shore. Places like Gurnee and especially Waukegan are certainly not nearly as white. Same with Evanston, Skokie, etc.

If you’re referring specifically to the North Shore, I can tell you it’s hardly something unique to Chicago. There are old money areas like that in literally every major metro area and they are almost all very white areas. Even in New York, even in California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs