Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2008, 10:41 PM

2 posts, read 7,791 times

Advertisements

So I was thinking of moving to Blue Island.

I'm familiar with the Chicago suburbs and most of the city as a whole, as I've lived here my whole life, but as anybody that has lived in Chicago knows, we're a very "street by street, neighborhood by neighborhood" kind of place.

I searched previous threads about Blue Island, but all they tell me is the obvious, the big nice homes in the historical district west of Western are a good area, the apartments and dumpy housing north of 127th near Vincennes is not a great area.

South of Cal Sag seems to be hit or miss, the old Western area there seems to have been on the rise.

While the town's crime levels seem a little higher than desired, I'm sure most of that could be attributed to a few rough areas.

Now, on to my question.

Is the area near Vermont and Hoyne ok? I've driven through it several times and it seems fine. It's just east of the metra and north of the canal. Seem to be a mix of latinos and older folks there, nothing bad or "shady" looking from what I could tell. Any specific area in that neighborhood that is no good? If it's a fine area, how far east can I go until I might not like it so much? How far north?

Thanks, any other comments specifically about BI are welcome, if I move there I'd want to know as much as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 07:45 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,749,100 times
That's considered the "east side" of Blue Island. The core of that section is north to 127th and east to Division. The two landmarks are Centennial Park and St. Donatus Church. Nearer the church is a little more well-kept. As you head up toward 127th its a little more scraggly, but I'd just look for a nice-looking block or two. It was historically the Italian side of town.

I don't wander that way too much, but I'm not aware of any bad reputaion. I'll ask around. There's supposed to be a good new Mexican restaurant on Vermont right around there.

The great thing about Blue Island is that you have awesome proximity to the city. I think I've said this before - its simultaneously very urban and very small town, which makes it interesting. There's a lot of multi-generational families who are kind of true believers, and the good thing about that is there is a large core of people who do really care about the city and try to improve it and move it forward. Of course, the same long-timers can stall out progress and protect their elected cronies. Our Park District is pathetic.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:54 AM

142 posts, read 427,107 times
Blue Island has a mixed reputation in the south suburbs, but I've been there a few times and never felt threatened. Blue Island and Berwyn both seem to be fighting negative and unfair reputations that I think are almost entirely due to the fact that they have large Mexican populations. Both town are safe, though, and both have incredible housing stock.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:45 PM

2 posts, read 9,812 times
You may be interested to know that along with the new hospital came a new TIF district which will pave the way for the new development which is slated for the area around the train station. The area is currently steady, full of working class people, not bright and shiny, but solid, inclusive, and most of Blue Island is diverse in racial make up, housing stock and economic class. The upcoming development in the Blue Island Plan is very exciting. Speculation in this area could pay off big time, IMO.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:41 AM

167 posts, read 396,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMover111 View Post
So I was thinking of moving to Blue Island.

I'm familiar with the Chicago suburbs and most of the city as a whole, as I've lived here my whole life, but as anybody that has lived in Chicago knows, we're a very "street by street, neighborhood by neighborhood" kind of place.

I searched previous threads about Blue Island, but all they tell me is the obvious, the big nice homes in the historical district west of Western are a good area, the apartments and dumpy housing north of 127th near Vincennes is not a great area.

South of Cal Sag seems to be hit or miss, the old Western area there seems to have been on the rise.

While the town's crime levels seem a little higher than desired, I'm sure most of that could be attributed to a few rough areas.

Now, on to my question.

Is the area near Vermont and Hoyne ok? I've driven through it several times and it seems fine. It's just east of the metra and north of the canal. Seem to be a mix of latinos and older folks there, nothing bad or "shady" looking from what I could tell. Any specific area in that neighborhood that is no good? If it's a fine area, how far east can I go until I might not like it so much? How far north?

Thanks, any other comments specifically about BI are welcome, if I move there I'd want to know as much as possible.
Hi! Let me gladly help you on this one, okay. You're right about Blue Island being "street-by-street" and such. I've been through the main part of town (north of the river, between Kedzie and Vincennes). I'll admit, parts of it are like that.

As for the areas, let me give you a good idea of them. Indeed, the area boarded by Vermont (131st), Ashland, Burr Oak (127th), and the Railroad Tracks (roughly 2700 West) is beautiful. It is an elegant mix of antique homes. Let's see...American Foursquares (which are dominate in Blue Island), bungalows, two flats (most from 1900 to 1930), Victorians, frames, etc. What can I say, it's great!

I read a post about the area boarded by 123rd Street, Western Avenue, 119th, and again those railroad tracks (specially EJ&E) as family friendly and nice. The same can be said about that area as well. However, the housing stock consists of mostly bungalows from the 1920s, frame homes, and two story homes (maybe a few 1910s Foursquares) south of 121st. North of 121st, we have mostly 1950s era ranch homes. There are a few "Beverly" type homes from the 40s too. You'll like it, trust me.

Okay, now we jump to the "okay" areas. First, south of the area in my last paragraph. The housing stock is mainly homes from the 1910s and 20s. All are really nice. I am not too familiar with this area though. I heard a few beatings took place in this area between Western, 127th, EJ&E, and 123rd. There are some "hidden" bars and stores on Greenwood and Maple around 12400 South. Again, not that familiar with that part of town.

I can tell you that Vincennes is bad. Specifically, Vincennes is just a through street for those that don't like Western Ave. Really, it's very light traffic and narrow. Plenty of apartments and more dumpy, older homes from the 1890s or so. The block east of that (which is Irving) is basically the same.

The next area boarded by 123rd, 127th, Western, and Vinncennes isn't bad. My sister used to live on Florence. The closer to 127th you get, the older the homes. This area in particular is quiet. I still go by here to see some friends and have fun. Some homes could use a remodeling job though.

Downtown is the best. Obviously. South of the Cal-Sag isn't bad but it depends on the block you want.

I hope this helps plenty and please let me know if you want to find out more. I got all my information from my sister, a few friends, and cookcountyassessor.com. That link will tell you about almost every single parcel of land in Cook County. Try it.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:40 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,749,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnchantedEvergreen View Post
Okay, now we jump to the "okay" areas. First, south of the area in my last paragraph. The housing stock is mainly homes from the 1910s and 20s. All are really nice. I am not too familiar with this area though. I heard a few beatings took place in this area between Western, 127th, EJ&E, and 123rd. There are some "hidden" bars and stores on Greenwood and Maple around 12400 South. Again, not that familiar with that part of town.

There is one corner bar in this section of town. (on Maple)I think of it as an old man bar - not a lot of action that I'm aware of. There is a corner store a block over from the bar that everyone stops in for cigs, lottery tix, candy, etc. The reason this part of town is not quite as nice as the north end and historic district (which it is sandwiched between) is that there are more rental houses, two flats and apartments than in the aforementioned areas.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:15 PM

167 posts, read 396,244 times
Default You're Totally Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc3217 View Post
There is one corner bar in this section of town. (on Maple)I think of it as an old man bar - not a lot of action that I'm aware of. There is a corner store a block over from the bar that everyone stops in for cigs, lottery tix, candy, etc. The reason this part of town is not quite as nice as the north end and historic district (which it is sandwiched between) is that there are more rental houses, two flats and apartments than in the aforementioned areas.
I probably know more than what I think about this area. You're right about the corner store (one block from the bar). I agree with you about the quality of the area. More two flats indeed and more rentals. I have seen pictures of these homes in: Harmon Homes, Home Guide, Home Guide Plus, and Realtor.com.

It's great to be sharing knowledge with each other. Did the infomation I gave you help?

Old 05-20-2009, 07:18 PM

3 posts, read 7,370 times
Blue Island is Ok.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:39 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,133 times
Blue Island is alright and racially diverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs