Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 04:28 PM

7 posts, read 15,412 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a house in the 'burbs and getting overwhelmed...

We are moving from the city and want a yard for our two small children. Obviously, we want a "family friendly" neighborhood. My husband wants to replicate the ride-your-bike, play with the neighborhood kids environment he grew up in.

This led us to look in areas like Wilmette, LaGrange and Hinsdale, but part of me also likes areas like Naperville with larger, newer homes and subdivisions. I will be staying home with the kids, my husband will be commuting downtown. Our budget is anywhere from $950k to $1.2m (I know the north shore might be a little tough in that range and I am a little afraid of the affluence of that area and it's impact on kids). Any help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 05:13 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,293,498 times
I'll recommend what I know very well and it happens to be what you want, Park Ridge.

Even the smallest of houses have yards and many have big ones where you can run around, play catch etc. Even more of a plus are the numerous parks that are in the Park Ridge. It's definitely family friendly. There are a few subdivisions with newer houses, they look nice. The city actually touches Chicago on the Northwest side and is only 15 miles away from the loop so it would be a much shorter commute than th towns you named.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:33 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,410,260 times
Wheaton, Naperville, Wasco, Glen Ellyn, Hinsdale all come to mind.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:24 AM

939 posts, read 2,381,526 times
All of the suggestions are great, but seriously, if you can afford an $850,000 - $1.2 million dollar home, you aren't priced out of the NS. Also, if you go to any upper middle class suburb, the affluence impact on your children will be about the same.

I'd choose anywhere on the NS, Hinsdale, La Grange or Western Springs. So many suburbs to mention, I'm just considering the ones that I like that are closest to the city. I think PR's mention of Park Ridge is also a good choice.

If you like newer and bigger, then you can pretty much go to any suburb and get a really nice house for $1.2 mil. However, you might like downtown Naperville area if you like the walkability aspect, plus a new home and a yard. If you don't care about walkability, your new house options in the suburbs in your price range are pretty much endless, with a few exceptions.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:52 AM

Let me clarify a little - I know houses can be found on the North Shore for that price, but I worry about how comfortable we will be there etc., if we have a small house among lots of huge houses and "old money."

Part of me also thinks I'd like something bigger with space (Geneva/St Charles?), part of me thinks I'd like the village/neighbor aspect of Wilmette... As a stay-at-home parent, I also want to find a place with lots of kids and other moms.

Again, I'd love to hear suggestions. Thanks for the input so far!

Old 07-30-2008, 10:39 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,651,433 times
I would encourage you to go even farther west, out I88 to Sugar Grove! we have homes in many prices ranges...from the 350's to the millions. depending on the neighborhood. we have the more exclusive Stafford Woods subdivsion and Hannaford Farm. They have beautiful custom homes. There is also Black Walnut Trails, and Lakes of Bliss Woods. Prairie Glen is a brand new subdivision with many lots currently available. We really love it here. It is a friendly town, with a population around 9,000

Old 07-30-2008, 11:33 AM

220 posts, read 745,005 times
Do you have any upper limit on time length for commute?

If you live in the city, then you must be amendable to city living, so I would suggest Oak Park or River Forest. In you price range you can certainly get a nice house and a relatively large lot (60x170+) with room for kids to run and play, but not a "large" lot (15,000 sqft+) one could find in the munis you and others have mentioned.

But with Oak Park or River Forest you get all the benefits of close-in suburbs with a nice downtown (Oak Park), great library (both), good park district (both) and a 40 min commute for your husband (by Green Line) or 20 min (by Metra).

Think about it.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:46 AM

Pardon my ignorance, but is Sugar Grove on a Metra line? I have to admit, I've never heard of that town...

Old 07-30-2008, 11:47 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,512,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winchmom View Post
We are looking for a house in the 'burbs and getting overwhelmed...

We are moving from the city and want a yard for our two small children. Obviously, we want a "family friendly" neighborhood. My husband wants to replicate the ride-your-bike, play with the neighborhood kids environment he grew up in.

This led us to look in areas like Wilmette, LaGrange and Hinsdale, but part of me also likes areas like Naperville with larger, newer homes and subdivisions. I will be staying home with the kids, my husband will be commuting downtown. Our budget is anywhere from $950k to $1.2m (I know the north shore might be a little tough in that range and I am a little afraid of the affluence of that area and it's impact on kids). Any help?

Of course you can look at all the usual mentions that I saw listed on here and all are great choices, but there are other areas to take a look at.

Obviously in your price range, you can afford the crem de la crem, but don't want to go house poor either. If I was you with your money and looking to get a nice house for the money and yard, plus not have your neighbors right on top of you as you may in some "inner ring burbs" then I would suggest Frankfort.

Frankfort is thought to be the "next Hinsdale" as the town has grown into a very prestigious area to live in with great schools, enormous homes on huge lots, great police and fire, bike trails to ride your bike on, lots of shopping in neighboring Orland Park, plus there are a TON of young families out there with lots of kids.

Here is a link to see what the towns homes are like so you know what to expect. Real Estate at Homes.Com for FRANKFORT, IL

Your husband can catch the Metra (Rock Island) line right out of Mokena at this station Metra / Hickory Creek Station Information

And here is the town itself Home

AND check out this link Frankfort, IL - Presented by Village Profile

Hope this helps some.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:23 PM

162 posts, read 803,988 times
While I am biased (moved to Frankfort from the South Loop a few months ago), you will be amazed to see how far your $1mm will go in Frankfort - seriously - you can get a ridiculous new home with a huge yard and amenities for that money. Great little downtown, bike paths, parks, etc.

I commute to the city daily (downtown/River North) - Metra and sometimes drive - both are easy trips.

Anyway - lots of beautiful burbs around Chicago - good luck with the search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs