Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2008, 10:45 PM

8 posts, read 32,387 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm about to move to Chicago, staying in Oak Park with a job in Oak Forest. Does anyone have any recommended routes or tips, beyond taking 290 to 294? How long would this take by train, on average? Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 08:02 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSioux View Post
Hello, I'm about to move to Chicago, staying in Oak Park with a job in Oak Forest. Does anyone have any recommended routes or tips, beyond taking 290 to 294? How long would this take by train, on average? Thank you so much.
There is no train connection Oak Park to Oak Forest, so you would have to get an inbound Union Pacific West train into the Loop, transfer, and take an outbound Rock Island train to Oak Forest. And vice versa for the return home. Both train trips are relatively short, so it's a matter of making the transfer work--which could be tricky considering these trains leave from different stations in the Loop (the UP-W is at Ogilve while the RI is at LaSalle Street). Also, you'd be on the RI doing a reverse commute both ways, and those trains don't run nearly as frequently (something like every 45 minutes, I believe).

I hate to say it, but you'll probably just have to drive.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:28 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
MSioux,
I don't know how 290 is during rush hour, but on 294 you will be in the reverse commute traffic pattern. Going south in the AM is pretty quick and going north on 294 in PM is also free flowing traffic. It's heavy, but it moves well.
Not sure how Harlem is, probably too many stop-lights. Might experiment with Harlem to I-55 to 294. You might save some time by taking 294 and exiting at 159th street instead of exiting at Cicero/127th. Good luck. By Chicago standards, it shouldn't be a bad commute. Guessing 30-45 minutes depending on weather and time of day.
Quote:
I hate to say it, but you'll probably just have to drive.
I agree with Lookout. Probably faster to drive. Chicago's Public transportation is good, BUT limited by only providing "spokes" into downtown. The area is limited by not having any "circles" around the spokes.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:18 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,510,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSioux View Post
There really is no good direct route for you unfortunantly. Try Harlem south to 87th Street, turn east (left) and take that to Ridgeland, at Ridgeland turn south (right), stay on Ridgeland all the way down to Oak Forest... Well 147th Street and go left or right.

You can also go straight down Harlem the entire way, but Harlem is supposed to be ripped up for repaving soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs