Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 12:09 AM

5 posts, read 38,969 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody, I'll be transferring to Chicago in a few months and will be working at O'hare. The employee parking lot is actually north of the airport off W.Touhy Ave. I would prefer a commute of not more than 20 minutes driving time. I'll be working a swing shift so I won't be driving during rush hour. I've been looking at Des Plaines and Mt. Prospect to the north, Schaumburg to the west and Park Ridge to the East. Which of these towns are "nicer" and which would you pick? I'll be renting, so I'm looking for NEWER, nicer apartment complexes that are close to shopping and a little downtown "mainstreet" area would be a plus. Of course I'm looking for something in a "safe" area as well, and I'm single with no children so schools won't be an issue for me. By the way, any photos of these towns would be greatly appreciated. I couldn't find any on the "Chicago Suburb Pics" thread. Most of the pics were of Wheaton, St. Charles and Naperville and they look really nice! Anything similar to those towns near O'hare? Thanks for all your help! Really looking forward to the move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 08:00 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,609,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris80233 View Post
Hi everybody, I'll be transferring to Chicago in a few months and will be working at O'hare. The employee parking lot is actually north of the airport off W.Touhy Ave. I would prefer a commute of not more than 20 minutes driving time. I'll be working a swing shift so I won't be driving during rush hour. I've been looking at Des Plaines and Mt. Prospect to the north, Schaumburg to the west and Park Ridge to the East. Which of these towns are "nicer" and which would you pick? I'll be renting, so I'm looking for NEWER, nicer apartment complexes that are close to shopping and a little downtown "mainstreet" area would be a plus. Of course I'm looking for something in a "safe" area as well, and I'm single with no children so schools won't be an issue for me. By the way, any photos of these towns would be greatly appreciated. I couldn't find any on the "Chicago Suburb Pics" thread. Most of the pics were of Wheaton, St. Charles and Naperville and they look really nice! Anything similar to those towns near O'hare? Thanks for all your help! Really looking forward to the move!
Check out Arlington Hts as well. Has more in common with Wheaton,St Charles, N'ville then certainly Des Plaines . Mount Prospect has a nice little "downtown" . I am not a fan of S'burg for anything else besides having to shop. Too much traffic, no "downtown" at all (lots of strip malls and the huge mega mall Woodfeild)and all charm and character of a car lot. Park Ridge has the nice Downtown you want and would be an easy train to the city (since you are single) for the big fun. Good luck to you.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:26 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,508,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris80233 View Post

Have you ever looked at the areas near downtown Niles off Touhy? Niles is really pretty in it's downtown. I know there are plenty of apartments around there, yes they are older, but Touhy moves right along between O'Hare and Niles. Not like 65 mph, but usually its moving right along about 40 even during rush hour. I'm sure if you look, you can find a really nice apartment there.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:41 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,555,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
Have you ever looked at the areas near downtown Niles off Touhy? Niles is really pretty in it's downtown. I know there are plenty of apartments around there, yes they are older, but Touhy moves right along between O'Hare and Niles. Not like 65 mph, but usually its moving right along about 40 even during rush hour. I'm sure if you look, you can find a really nice apartment there.

I hate to disagree with you, but if you mean the area of Niles by Touhy, Milwaukee & Waukegan, there isn't much there. A police station, a senior citizen building (I believe), a bowling alley, a cemetary, and a few motels.

Downtown Park Ridge is also close to Touhy Ave, is closer to O'Hare, and has quite a few cute shops, nice restaurants, and the beautiful Pickwick theatre. Plus the Metra stop to downtown isn't far.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:55 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,258,305 times

Link to newer building in downtown AH:
Avalon Arlington Heights - Arlington Heights, IL Apartment Floorplans

There are other complexes as well

Old 09-10-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Mappy View Post
I hate to disagree with you, but if you mean the area of Niles by Touhy, Milwaukee & Waukegan, there isn't much there. A police station, a senior citizen building (I believe), a bowling alley, a cemetary, and a few motels.

Downtown Park Ridge is also close to Touhy Ave, is closer to O'Hare, and has quite a few cute shops, nice restaurants, and the beautiful Pickwick theatre. Plus the Metra stop to downtown isn't far.

Well there's a little more than that in Niles, but you're right it is no downtown Skokie or anything like that. But Niles is pretty and the fountain on the corner is really nice in their downtown/town center.

Park Ridge I think though was the one that I was thinking of. Thats the downtown with the old movie theater and the row of quaint old shoppes right?

Old 09-10-2008, 02:21 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,779,208 times
Park Ridge has an area called "Uptown" as well, which is walkable and nice (not to be confused with Chicago's Uptown neighborhood). I'd personally pick Park Ridge, but it's probably the most espensive town on your list.

I found this photo by Googling the area (see link):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68971340@N00/2819574458 (broken link)

Old 09-10-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Park Ridge has an area called "Uptown" as well, which is walkable and nice (not to be confused with Chicago's Uptown neighborhood). I'd personally pick Park Ridge, but it's probably the most espensive town on your list.

I found this photo by Googling the area (see link):

Uptown Park Ridge on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/68971340@N00/2819574458 - broken link)
YES!!! I was there about a month ago. Thanks. I got the two confused. Park Ridge is the one with the movie house and Niles has the fountain and high rise behind it.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:45 PM

694 posts, read 2,015,736 times
I agree----Park Ridge should be a top choice to consider.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:57 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,868,885 times
Default Itasca and Elmhurst

Check out Elmhurst and Itasca. Both are close to O'Hare, though Elmhurst is much larger. Both have great houses and good schools. Both have cute downtowns, though Elmhurst is much larger with more shops. I prefer Itasca, but then again I am biased as I own a place there. Both have great access to interstates.

Downtown Itasca is almost like stepping into a time warp. You have a few cutesy downtown buildings and a train stop and a main street lined with lamp light posts. You are 5-10 mins from Woodfield but yet in your own little small town. I like Itasca alot and may buy another place there if I ever settle down and raise a family.

Park Ridge is great too, though the planes are pretty loud. I prefer Arlington Heights over Mount Prospect, but both are okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs