Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 07:59 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,070,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
And, when I busted my tubes, a bunch of people pulled over on Sheridan to ask if i was OK and if they could help. My Chicago gut instinct made me fearfully think they were crazy rapists, but the truth is they were probably just awesome people willing to lend a hand.
I've experienced similar friendliness in areas away from home. However, I always wonder just how friendly they would've been if I were black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 09:04 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,257,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
I've experienced similar friendliness in areas away from home. However, I always wonder just how friendly they would've been if I were black.
You and I know the answer to that one, unfortunately.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:31 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Ya know, if you were wearing a team kit or road riding clothing you probably would have had someone ask. If you had the "ghetto garb" going, then yes, nobody probably would have asked.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:22 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,257,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Ya know, if you were wearing a team kit or road riding clothing you probably would have had someone ask. If you had the "ghetto garb" going, then yes, nobody probably would have asked.
I was wearing my walmart workout shirt (you know, the dry-wicking airy type) and my adidas soccer shorts. I'd feel a bit weird in spandex.

But yes, I agree with you.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:55 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
Winnetkans may brag about how great their schools are, but they didn't build a $578 million school for 4400 students as did Los Angeles.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:10 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,725,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Since "Hubbard Woods" has its own school, post office and train station, many think it is a separate village. Actually it is part of Winnetka, though a sliver of it is in Glencoe.

It used to be a separate village a long long time ago. Part was gobbled up by Winnetka, part by Glencoe.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:22 AM

19 posts, read 70,651 times
Default Commute from Winnetka

I am also considering a move to that area as a good mid-point between my wife's job and mine. I have driven from Winnetka to Streeterville but mostly at off hours but I suspect it varies with rush hour traffic.

1. For those people who live in East Winnetka/Kenilworth/East Wilmette - do they take Lake Shore Drive instead of 94? I found Ridge road disturbingly slow - is that the preferred conduit to Lake Shore Drive from the North Shore?

2. From Western Winnetka/Wilmette, in good traffic it takes 40 and 35 minutes respectively on 94. Is that people's experience?

Old 09-06-2010, 12:20 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajman2009 View Post
For those people who live in East Winnetka/Kenilworth/East Wilmette - do they take Lake Shore Drive instead of 94? I found Ridge road disturbingly slow - is that the preferred conduit to Lake Shore Drive from the North Shore?...
There are only like 3 choices to get to L.S.D from up there. Ridge. Sheridan. Chicago/Clark. I usually prefer Chicago/Clark.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:45 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,749,627 times
On the 94 during rush hour you are looking at 35-40 minutes just to get from the merge to the circle, and often longer. Add in getting to the merge and you are looking at an hour or more. And that's without snow. There's a reason there are so many train stations over there.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:07 PM

36 posts, read 105,840 times
Miscellany:

* From the lake it takes 5 minutes to drive to the Edens (I-94). No big deal.

* Commuting by driving from the North Shore to Streeterville sounds like a big waste of time and money and loaded with aggrevation. The Metra North line is on-time, comfortable, easy and fast.

* If you are black, wearing Walmart track clothes, and you get funny looks running through the North Shore, it's most probably because you're in Walmart clothes.

* Winnetka isn't just committed to the "progressivist" philosophy in schools, it's one of the first communities in the United States to swallow that approach (sometimes known as the "Winnetka Way") hook, line and sinker. All schools in Winnetka are run by the same administration, superintendent and curriculum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs