Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 08:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetraveling View Post
Hi!

This is my first post. I grew up in Skokie from birth (1953) to 1962. We moved to Glenview when I was 9. We lived about Laramie and Glenview Road. I went to NTW from 1967-69 for my freshman and sophomore years. In 1969, my parents moved me kicking and screaming to Kansas City!

Last week I relived 85 years in 2½ days with my 85 year old father. We visited St. Charles where he grew up, Lincolnwood where my mom grew up and our old stomping grounds and houses in Glenview. We had dinner at Hackneys on Harms.

I spent many fun times at Cunliff Park. When I was in 4th grade, I was skating where they froze the grass, fell and broke my arm.

Every single summer day was spent at Roosevelt pool. The OLD pool before it was changed. I remember diving off the high dive in 8th grade and had a terrible muscle spasm. I was taken from the pool on a stretcher! I was always on the swim team too.

I had so much fun reliving memories with my dad and even more after seeing the photos here.

My question to all of you. Somewhere around Echo (street Cunliff Park is on) and Glenview Rd was a small convenience store. It might have been called a dairy. We used to stop in there and get candy, etc. I can't remember the name. Can anyone help me out?

I love seeing these old photos!

Thanks!
I believe it was Heppner's.
Search FB for a group called "I grew up in Glenview in the 70's and and 80's".
There was some back-and-forth about that place a while back (June 6, 2105).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 06:16 PM

4 posts, read 6,710 times
This is just one of many neighborhood events that take place in Park Manor today:

Community Spirit In Mix For Glenview Neighborhood First Pub Crawl -- 2/5/15 Glenview Journal

By LAUREN BARRY Journal & Topics Reporter
Residents of Parkview Road, near Manor Park, jumped on the on the cutting edge of a new trend in community gatherings with their first neighborhood “pub crawl” on Saturday, Jan. 30.
Unlike traditional pub crawls, this event took participants on a tour of resident’s homes. Coordinator Jacky Schiestel explained that she wanted to bring all of the adults in the community together, in a safe way.
She told the Glenview Journal that she was inspired by friends in Park Ridge who had organized a dinner event that would travel from one neighbor’s house to another.
“We made our event much less formal, especially since this was our first time,” Schiestel said.
From 7 to 10:30 p.m., around 25 attendees visited three homes on Parkview with parties hosted by Glenview homeowners Carol Clark, Linda Friedleib and Schiestel. Everyone involved was encouraged to bring bottles of wine, appetizers or other fun party fare.
One interesting offering was the “Ray-Tini”, a cocktail named after Schiestel’s husband and developed when the couple lived in Chicago. However, the tequila and orange juice-based creation proved a bit too strong for partygoers at the end of the night.
According to Schiestel, each home was on a timer for one hour, though the neighbors stayed for a bit longer at her house for the last leg of the event.
Sarah Barney, a Parkview resident who helped organize the festivities, coined the term “pub crawl” for the evening, even though no pubs were actually involved.
“It’s mostly about the fun of being timed,” said Schiestel, “everyone in the street going to a new house is exciting.”
Since the event was such a success, Schiestel said residents are hoping to make it an annual winter event. “We see each other a lot in the summer,” she said, “and we never see each other without our kids.”
In addition to providing the neighborhood an opportunity to get together and enjoy adult beverages without having to drive, the event gives the community “an excuse to have some fun” and relax, said Schiestel.

Community Spirit In Mix For Glenview Neighborhood First Pub Crawl - Journal and Topics Online: Lifestyles

Old 04-18-2016, 02:38 AM

1 posts, read 2,090 times
I've lived in the same house my parents built all 56 years of my life. We're off of Harrison on Lehigh, between Harlem and Waukegan Rd. There are very few houses that haven't been torn down or remodeled anymore in this area. The Boedicker's who owned the Glenview Dairy Bar are both gone now. Chuck died a few months ago, and Janelle passed away a few years ago or so. It's open for the season now and doing booming business as always. I always make it a point to go at least once a year for a Banana sauce sundae, with whipped cream, and a cherry. Another couple of places that always bring back good memories was Rugens and Renneckars. Renneckars had the diner and great milkshakes. The McDonalds is still there on Waukegan Rd., but it's been remodeled and now has a kind of goofy drive up window setup. The whole area by Waukegan and Golf Rds. is now unrecognizable. It's like a major highway with about six lanes going each direction now, and a big strip mall with Mariano's and a bunch of other stores to create major traffic jams. The Dominicks that used to be on Glenview and Waukegan is long gone, it finally got replaced with another grocery store, but it's too expensive for my budget. There are lots of strip malls with only one or two stores still open in them, very sad sign of the times.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,901 times
I grew up in Glenview in the 70s and some of the 80s. I lived on Nellie Ct just off of Harrison. I went to Grade school at St. Isaac Jogues. I understand it's no longer there, loved the Axle Roller Rink, every Saturday nite. Golf Mill, and the Millionaires Club, their kiddy cocktails rocked.. Also, who remembers hanging out at Bunker Hill, great memories.. Love and miss Glenview..

Old 07-24-2017, 12:54 PM

2 posts, read 3,272 times
I recall when they built that hill next to Hoffman Elementary. In the summers there were telephone poles laid across the bottom of the hill to prevent bicycles from riding down. Did it any way. My friend skidded about 10ft. on his forehead when he missed the gap between the poles. LMOA still.

For many years - before the giant pool at Elm Park - there was a portion of the park near Central Rd. that was flooded during winter for a skating rink.

I think the hill was left over from when the undeveloped property next to Hoffman was cleared in 1962 or so. We just called it "the field." Zillions of butterflies, giant garden spiders, and a rather treacherous path through the middle that we used to go to Roosevelt pool.

Old 07-24-2017, 01:01 PM

2 posts, read 3,272 times
Elm Ct? I lived on Montgomery near MacArthur, I'm pretty sure I sold you or your neighbors Christmas wreathes while I was in Scouts. Brooks, Ottesons, Bells, Kaysers, any of those ring a bell?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs