Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 10:21 AM

1,083 posts, read 3,725,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
This attitude drives me ****ing crazy. The idea that we will just keep building new construction homes for everyone is just nuts, and is not something we can sustain forever. In fact, that era may be over right now as we speak. So all of you spoiled new-construction-don't-want-to-live-in-a-"used house" morons will have to get used to living in homes that were previously occupied. Deal with it. Buidlings are NOT disposable.

Actually I care if someone has lived in a house before me. I wouldn't buy a house that hadn't been lived in before. I prefer homes constructed between 1923-1928.

The hilarious thing is that many more modern homes have absolutely no resale value. Few people want to buy a 30 year old contemporary house. Construction form the 1980's with those godawful faux Palladian windows with the one-sided mullions? Hard to sell. They look really dated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 11:03 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
I agree. Generally the new construction neighborhoods do not offer the more established neighborhood with mature, lush landscaping that I prefer. I also do not want to spend eternity in my car. I also need an area I can safely ride my road bike and an area that has sidewalks and parks my kids can go to and explore without crossing or riding in busy streets.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:24 PM

29 posts, read 72,317 times
Quote:
This attitude drives me ****ing crazy. The idea that we will just keep building new construction homes for everyone is just nuts, and is not something we can sustain forever. In fact, that era may be over right now as we speak. So all of you spoiled new-construction-don't-want-to-live-in-a-"used house" morons will have to get used to living in homes that were previously occupied. Deal with it. Buidlings are NOT disposable.
To most people, a $1.5MM home should be the epitome of luxury and all their desires. Who are you to tell somebody that has saved up a 20%-30% downpayment ($300k-500k) and is determined to work and make the monthly payments is spoiled to want something new. How dare they be intrigued by a spotless kitchen with stainless steel Sub-Zero appliances. The stone on the outside of the house or a 3 car garage is garbage. Who are they to plant a tree that they will watch grow for 20 years and form a bond with.

Do you buy everything used? Are your cars, TVs, clothes all hand-me downs or refurbished? If person X can afford a $1.5MM home (and really afford it, not overextend themselves) they have every right to say for that kind of money I want something that hasn't been lived in before. Granted someone buying a $300k home has the same exact right if they can find it, but the attitude around here that all people should spend ungodly amounts of money for the "charm" of the NS is absurd. Living in Winnetka, Glencoe or Kennilworth will appeal to some and then by all means, spend the $1.5MM or more and get an older home on a smaller lot and walk or ride where you want to.

But to claim that someone spending more money on a home than 99% of Americans will ever be able to amass is spoiled, just for wanting to be the first home owner drives me ****ing crazy.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:03 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongu View Post
To most people, a $1.5MM home should be the epitome of luxury and all their desires. Who are you to tell somebody that has saved up a 20%-30% downpayment ($300k-500k) and is determined to work and make the monthly payments is spoiled to want something new. How dare they be intrigued by a spotless kitchen with stainless steel Sub-Zero appliances. The stone on the outside of the house or a 3 car garage is garbage. Who are they to plant a tree that they will watch grow for 20 years and form a bond with.

Do you buy everything used? Are your cars, TVs, clothes all hand-me downs or refurbished? If person X can afford a $1.5MM home (and really afford it, not overextend themselves) they have every right to say for that kind of money I want something that hasn't been lived in before. Granted someone buying a $300k home has the same exact right if they can find it, but the attitude around here that all people should spend ungodly amounts of money for the "charm" of the NS is absurd. Living in Winnetka, Glencoe or Kennilworth will appeal to some and then by all means, spend the $1.5MM or more and get an older home on a smaller lot and walk or ride where you want to.

But to claim that someone spending more money on a home than 99% of Americans will ever be able to amass is spoiled, just for wanting to be the first home owner drives me ****ing crazy.
Well said. If they want brand new house on large property in non-walkable neighborhood where one has to drive everywhere that is their choice. Doesn't make it right OR wrong. But personal choice can be similar to opinions. I do not agree and would not make the choice you outlined above.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:10 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,725,917 times
Quote:

If you look at the intent of the OP he started this thread to cut down the NS. People responded by answering his question about why people live here. This didn't start as a thread critizcizing people who lived in new construction.

"I" personally don't care for new construction, therefore I have made the choice repeatedly to buy older homes. I really don't have any problem with the choices anyone else makes.

BTW - its Kenilworth, not Kennilworth.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthera View Post
If you look at the intent of the OP he started this thread to cut down the NS. People responded by answering his question about why people live here. This didn't start as a thread critizcizing people who lived in new construction.

"I" personally don't care for new construction, therefore I have made the choice repeatedly to buy older homes. I really don't have any problem with the choices anyone else makes.

BTW - its Kenilworth, not Kennilworth.
Fair point. I will certainly agree that the North Shore has a tremendous amount to offer. Where else can you walk along Sheridan Road and see the history of the buildings as well as the Lake. While defending the NS, a lot of people around here start criticizing the choices that others make. All life is about picking and choosing what is most important to you. Some people will prefer a larger home with newer finishes while others will prefer age and a historic appeal.

There is no right and wrong. People often feel to defend themselves and their decisions they must criticize those that are different. This is illogical. Is it so bad if two people are equally happy with completely different things?

Old 04-28-2009, 05:08 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times
Quote:
it is over. and the idea of prime real estate today in the Chicago area will come with price tags attached to the quality of public transportation and proximity to the Loop and the rest of the downtown area.

Yes, it is over, Kid. 100% correct. That was no minor shift that started last summer with the collapsing fortunes of Wall Street and all the high finance ponzi schemes out there. It was truly one of those monumental points in time when one era shockenly turns into another.

the people who you are talking about don't see it. they are rooted in the past. And they think that we can make the "corrections" needed to go back living the merry way you have described.

We can't. They party is over. And 30 years of keep it afloat while we let the nation go to hell and the environment...nationally and globally...to go to pot so that it can't even meet the needs of our present population, let alone the global population explosion that will overwhelmingly.

We can't afford to do what you suggested in constantly building outward in single family homes far too big given the earth's population and increasingly limited resources.

The party is over, Kid, as you suggest and that is not a pessimistic view point but merely a realistic one.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Well said. If they want brand new house on large property in non-walkable neighborhood where one has to drive everywhere that is their choice. Doesn't make it right OR wrong. But personal choice can be similar to opinions. I do not agree and would not make the choice you outlined above.
I think the key is the definition of non-walkable neighborhood. The only non-walkable neighborhoods in my mind are where it isn't safe enough either because of crime or fear of being struck down by a car.

Now being able to walk to a store or city center is something else. I can't walk to the store to buy milk and eggs, but my wife and I have been out every nice day walking around the neighborhood looking at the homes, parks, landscaping and other people. I would definitely consider my neighborhood walkable (I'm in Deerfield). I also know plenty of peole in Buffalo Grove that can do the same thing, even those in newer subdivisions.

Now walking along the lake, this I used to do in Evanston and Chicago, but can't do without getting in my car first.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:

I'm sure Kid and myself could find fault with what we do ourselves. So I am no measure of virtue here, Bongu, but we all pay a price for excesses of other people's wealth when you consider that resources are finite, their use has been extremely detrimental to the enviornment, and much of the wealth of the wealthiest Americans comes from exploitation: it's not real wealth. Like the wealth so many financeers made, it is just on paper and has been pumped up by how we reward the rich in America.

Those people building and buying those huge homes will have children with a much lower standard of living than they have...and may well expreience the same for their own lives.

The waste at the top has been obscene and as I noted before: poor and rich, too: we're all going to pay a price for it.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:36 PM

I wanted to put what I said above in context and make it clear I am not pointing my finger at any particular individual, but at the way we have all behaved.

I love cool air. I hate the heat of summer. Often I run the A/C at times I shouldn't and keep it at 72° when I know i should make it higher. I'm acting irresponsibly in doing so and my actions do affect others, just like they do when I drive my car two blocks rather than walk or so many other things I do in my daily life that i am hardly aware of them. Yes, I could say that many of these things I do have come because I have been part of a culture makes us feel they are the norm and spoils us to the point where cutting back, no matter how responsible, becomes difficult.

But in my own mind and even with that rationalization, I don't feel absolved from what are very pig like actions on my part. The type of lifestyle defended by those here who so disagreed with Kid comes with a helluva price tag the entire planet will be paying. So, no, I don't think that this 2009+ world can afford to say "i made my money, as much as can be imagined, and I can do what I like with it". Resources are diminishing. The environment is declining. And the population. The age of "I can have it all" ends not because there aren't those with power and desire to keep it going, but because this ol' planet can not keep delivering the goods that have so much been part and parcel of this nation's lifestyle since WWII. Effect, it would seem, has finally caught up with cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs