Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 11:40 AM

1,083 posts, read 3,725,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
I should clarify I live on a very quiet dead end street.There are several of those here.
Rts 68 and 62 as well as 59 and Lake Cook rd all go thru Barrington Hills and there have been far too many serious accidents. No, I dont stroll down rds such as these.

BH is so beautiful in the spring. I envy you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 05:08 AM

1,570 posts, read 2,070,068 times
Quote:
I should clarify I live on a very quiet dead end street.There are several of those here.
Rts 68 and 62 as well as 59 and Lake Cook rd all go thru Barrington Hills and there have been far too many serious accidents. No, I dont stroll down rds such as these.
Nanannie?
How much are you thinking you will sell your house at? Not over a million or close to a million?

Old 04-30-2009, 06:46 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,617,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthera View Post
BH is so beautiful in the spring. I envy you.

Its got nothing on that lake you have or the North Shore, but thank you.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:39 AM

1,083 posts, read 3,725,917 times
Its apples & oranges, but I like both.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:00 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
Default The benefits of downsizing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
I was thinking about Hawthorn Woods and Long Grove, which are affluent areas, but have no sidewalks and are not as walkable because of it. They also do not have the quantity of walkable neighborhood parks either. This was done to achieve a more "rural" feel. A former nanny commented about a family she worked for in that area and how you HAD to drive everywhere-even to go to the park! She felt sorry for the kids becasue you couldn't just go walk to the park. Imagine thoes kids when they're older. Only walkable options are their cul-de-sacand only playground is what's in their yard or neighbor's yard. A loss of exploring, mobility and socializing with other kids.
Thought this was well said. A few years back, we lived in one of those big houses with no sidewalks. To be fair, I didn't choose the house, my spouse owned the house B4 we married. However, I did raise the kids there for a few years and we were driving everywhere - shopping, preschool, friend's houses, parks, etc. I didn't realize how much we were missing until we sold our house and moved to a small, older (temporary) house in a neighborhood walkable/bikable (even in winter) to schools, parks, shopping, library, train, and almost all the kids extracurriculars (music, art, sports, etc.).

I felt like I had died and gone to heaven! To go from driving hours everyday, to now having a car just sit in the garage all week is wonderful. To go from only seeing your neighbor as they drive by and wave, to interacting w/neighbors everyday as you walk your kids to school is wonderful. There is a real sense of community now. And the kids seem so much more independent, social, and happier because of it. And the whole family is so much more fit from all the walking/biking. I also like that the kids are now more focused on being a part of improving a community rather than IMO the more material aspects of living in a big, new house away from the community.

BTW, we are living in the small house until we find another house to buy. A few years ago, we probably would have looked to buy another big house in perhaps a gated community with no sidewalks or on several acres in the woods (and I know there are many nice people who love living in these environments). However, after our experience in our downsized house, we'll never go back to our old lifestyle. We plan on buying another smaller home in town as we feel it is the best way to raise our children.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
I dunno-whats the big deal about sidewalks? If one wants to walk in LG or HW, you dont NEED a sidewalk for heavans sake. I live in an area with no sidewalks, 5 acre min, and I walk walk walk all the time. I can ride my bike to the village if I care to (3 miles each way) but strolling a hood for excercise/pleasure is not limited to sidewalk activity.
It comes down to those of us who want to live in 'country' areas,old trees, wildlife,space,no traffic zooming thru your street, and so I dont have sidewalks. I can live with that. If you need sidewalks to walk to the store, there are plenty of area in Il to choose.
Nanannie, I love BH but with young kids it was very hard to walk/bike to parks, school, shops, etc. and this is important to us. My kids would have loved to walk/bike to Preschool/Kindergarden (St. Marks in BH) but we could have gotten killed on Ridge Rd! I will, however, say it is probably one of the most beautiful morning drives I've ever had (w/the rolling hills, horses in the distance, weeping willows and majestic oaks lining the streets). Anyway, I just find our current in-town situation w/sidewalks better for our family's lifestyle.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:21 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default Nice description of why MANY people prefer "intown"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Nanannie, I love BH but with young kids it was very hard to walk/bike to parks, school, shops, etc. and this is important to us. My kids would have loved to walk/bike to Preschool/Kindergarden (St. Marks in BH) but we could have gotten killed on Ridge Rd! I will, however, say it is probably one of the most beautiful morning drives I've ever had (w/the rolling hills, horses in the distance, weeping willows and majestic oaks lining the streets). Anyway, I just find our current in-town situation w/sidewalks better for our family's lifestyle.
I might use some of your images in some upcoming listings I might have input too...

Old 04-30-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
I would disagree that locals were zooming thru the streets. So many of these roads are narrow, winding with blind drives you have to be just passing thru or a 16 yr old with a new girl in the car. Of course there are inconsiderate speeders everywhere, but there are also very quiet safe streets.
I think the problem is that Lake Cook Rd gets so backed up during rush hour AND there has been so much development west of BH (e.g. Algonquin, Lake In The Hills, Huntley) that speeding commuters are finding alternate routes through BH. I also don't think it's the locals who are zooming. Most of the locals I know are pretty laid-back, law-abiding citizens.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthera View Post
Chet, I agree with you that locals tend to speed as much as nonlocals, but in BH there have been lots of serious accidents caused by nonlocals who decide that hte country roads there make great late night racetracks.
That is very true.... There are lots of hills in BH and teens like to fly their cars over them (forgot what that's called). That's exactly how some kids were killed speeding over a hill on Ridge Rd.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I might use some of your images in some upcoming listings I might have input too...
Only if I get paid a stipend...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs