Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2007, 08:04 PM

1 posts, read 38,410 times

Advertisements

Planning to move to western suburbs with a special needs child. What town has the best schools for special needs education? Any available data to evaluate school districts?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 04:06 PM

5 posts, read 52,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by househunterII View Post
Planning to move to western suburbs with a special needs child. What town has the best schools for special needs education? Any available data to evaluate school districts?
I think the Naperville school district has the best special needs education. Moderator cut: Soliciting business

Old 04-24-2007, 09:45 PM

2 posts, read 51,102 times
I would agree with brokergirl. My son was in special education in Naperville 203. He was in the special education program from K-5th. The program was very detailed and written just for him. He has progressed dramatically enough to be released this month. I was very impressed.

There are other options as well. There is a school only 1 block from my home in Naperville called "Little Friends" that specialize in special education for Autistic children & Adults that has an excellent program. Many children are bused from other districts to go to "Little Friends".
I hope this helps.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:43 PM

50 posts, read 176,704 times
I would have to agree with the previous two posts. Naperville schools are by far the best in the area for special needs.

www.naperville203.org

or

www.ipsd.org

I worked with special needs children for three years in IPSD (Naperville/Aurora schools). They have an outstanding program for special needs children and having worked with many of the teachers and staff--they are great! I would definitely look into these 2 districts.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:32 AM

5 posts, read 57,087 times
I moved from Texas to get help for my daughter, she is PDD, with severe allergies that caused her to not be able to walk or talk well for many years, until we took her off dairy and wheat, we knew nothing ... I had been trying to get evaluations in Texas and was told," there was nothing wrong with her, that she would grow out of it". She is now 10 yrs old, we had moved to Amity Oregon, where she was in a wonderful program, but with the gas prices and all, I had to move to Salem to be closer to work. Then they moved the program to another town, where she can't be bussed to.
She improved so much in Amity, I tried putting her into the Salem Kiezer School district in Salem OR. Boy was that a mistake, she regressed , the teacher refused to talk to me. They wouldn't even tell me what she was working on so I could work with her, it was horrible.
I am now looking for somewhere , so my child will atleast have a chance to learn. SHe needs 1 on 1 assistance, and to be able to work on the subject until she gets it she was doing very well.
Please someone give me something to check out ,, I don't care where in the country it is, her time is limited to learn. I only want her to have a good life. To some day have some independence, if possible.

and where is Naperville, can you tell me a State please?

Last edited by sunrisechaser2; 08-10-2008 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: changed some mispelled words, and added a few

Old 08-10-2008, 10:01 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,253,097 times
Well, seeing as we're in the Illinois forum, I assumed you would draw conclusions.

But, I wanted to add another vote for Naperville. I was in D204, and you'd be surprised to see how many parents moved across the region or country to find a good education for their special education kid.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:17 AM

5 posts, read 45,573 times
I am glad someone has had a pleasant experience with district 203. They have denied my daughters any assistance because we have a out of the box diagnosis (both are dyslexic and one is mildly autistic) . I am so through fighting with them. they are like the gatekeepers of the hmo's. I am moving to district 204 where they have the support that we need without fighting for it and losing in the end.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:20 PM

1 posts, read 31,369 times
Hello,

I will be moving to Naperville in the next two months. I have a three year old with special need, she is getting speech, occupational and physical therapy now with ABA. Can anyone tell me what school is good for a non verbal kid with gross and fine motor issues... Thanks.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:45 PM

1 posts, read 30,086 times
I will put a plug in for the Plainfield, IL District 202. We are just one community south of Naperville, and a more affordable community. (Living in parts of Romeoville will get you this district.) We have been part of the district for 12 years. Or daughter is non-verbal with moderate to severe mental retardation amoungst other things. We have been very happy with her programs. The district is good at redoing programs evey few years to meet the needs of those students. They do not make the students fit the classroom. We have worked with the district closely to get our daughter what she needs. This is key ANYWHERE You go.
GOOD LUCK

Old 05-10-2011, 08:05 PM

433 posts, read 1,929,397 times
Please check out Palatine High School (district 211). I think the have almost 30% special needs, sort of a magnet school for special ed. It really isn't a magnet school technically, but there are kids bused there from many, many different school districts who don't have the resources or available services at their school. PHS has been written up in newspaper articles as well for it's excellent Special Ed. Dept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs