Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 11:22 AM

20 posts, read 55,106 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are coming out for a house hunting trip in the next couple of weeks and will probably be staying in or around Plainfield as that's where the bulk of the houses are which we will be viewing. We're thinking of driving up to Naperville for a nice dinner since we will not have the kids...we're willing to splurge for a great meal! Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 09:06 AM

137 posts, read 549,568 times
An all time favorite of mine is Meson Sabika. It is located on Aurora Ave, just west of downtown Naperville. It is the old Willow-Way Mansion. The dining rooms are set into the old rooms of this mansion. It has TONS of character and worth the little road trip.

Food is excellent! If you've never had tapas before, it's like ordering a lot of appetizer plates and you share them. You'll start with cold and work to hot, possibly ordering paella and then on to dessert.

They also have excellent Sangria.

You won't be disappointed. However, if this doesn't seem to be your thing, check out Naperville Restaurant Menu's You'll find SOMETHING you like here.

Enjoy !

Old 10-17-2009, 12:39 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Meson Sabika is supposed to be fantastic. Ive never been there myself. Rosebud in downtown is also supposed to be awesome. 7 on Heaven is another one with good reviews. My personal fave in Naperville is Lou Malnati's, cant beat it for good pizza and a relaxed atmosphere!

Old 10-17-2009, 08:16 PM

12 posts, read 31,969 times
In your post you mention Plainfield so these options will be more in South Naperville. We went through what you are going through now in the summer of 2008, so if your experience is anything like ours you will be exhausted by the end of the day and not really ready to go out tearing it up. If you are, just go to Sullivans in downtown Naperville. Nothing in Naperville requires you to get really dressed for dinner.

Tommy Nevins Pub is an upscale Irish Pub with very solid food, great service and a busy bar. On Rte 59 between 111th and 103rd Tommy Nevins Pub, Naperville, Illinois (http://www.tommynevinspubs.com/002/home.html - broken link)

Kostas is a little hole in the wall Greek spot. The owner Mr. Frank is always there greeting people, great service, great authentic food, small, maybe 8 tables. It is the Dominicks strip at 95th and 59, on the Blockbuster end.

Francescas Passaggio is in the same strip and practically next door to Kostas. The Family of Francesca Restaurants in Chicago and the Surrounding Suburbs. Very nice Italian spot, a little more formal than Kostas or Nevins, but definitely no need to go overboard. Great food, decor and wine list lag.

Another Italian option is Biaggis. It is just a little further up 59, across 95th on the other side of the road in the Showcase movie theatre strip. Biaggis - Italian Restaurants A little more innovative choices, but servce is a little spottier as well.

We frequent all of these places and find them comfortable, friendly and nice little slices of Naperville.

Best of Luck

Old 10-19-2009, 10:06 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,254,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Meson Sabika is supposed to be fantastic. Ive never been there myself. Rosebud in downtown is also supposed to be awesome. 7 on Heaven is another one with good reviews. My personal fave in Naperville is Lou Malnati's, cant beat it for good pizza and a relaxed atmosphere!
I wouldn't advise Rosebud. They changed management or something last year and the GOOD Italian food is long gone. It's now 'comfort food' that they advertise. My girlfriend and I had not been there in a long, long time and after browsing their terrible menu for about 5 minutes, we finished our drinks and left.

The new Rosebud is just a place running on the fame and name of the old place. Just be sure you know that.

Heaven on 7 is great for New Orleans cooking. It is probably the most authentic thing I've had around here; my ex wife is from New Orleans, and she'd agree.

Meson Sabika is a Spanish Tapas restaurant and is very unique. Like one poster said, it consists of little dishes called 'tapas'. There are tapas frias (cold tapas) and tapas calliente (hot tapas). Sangria is awesome, and so is the atmoshphere.

Other notable places include Hugo's Frog Bar in downtown Naperville (great meats!) and Sullivan's Steak House (across from Rosebud).

Old 10-19-2009, 11:59 AM

610 posts, read 2,729,118 times
Not sure if your trip to the area has come and gone...but....I like Tango Grill. Great sangria with fresh fruit - they serve both white and red and both are excellent.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:56 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki Tikki Tavi View Post
Tommy Nevins Pub is an upscale Irish Pub.....

An "upscale" Irish pub, and in Naperville no less. The very notion makes my head hurt.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:43 PM

342 posts, read 1,232,534 times
my favorite is the poop cafe.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:20 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
An "upscale" Irish pub, and in Naperville no less. The very notion makes my head hurt.
Id imagine its similar to The Claddagh in Geneva. Upscale? Check. Irish? Check.

I guess an Irish joint cant be upscale or in Naperville, eh? Interesting.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:46 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,254,758 times
I think he means the very idea of the 'irish pub' is that the place should be working class, not upscale.

Irishtom29, have you ever been to Cork and Kerry's? (106th & Western) Or McDuffy's (111th & Spaulding)? McDuffy's has gotten a bit too party club for me, but some years ago it was an average beer garden, it seemed. I wonder how you view these places. Both are in traditionally Irish neighborhoods (or were at one point) so they are somewhat legit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs