Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2010, 09:17 AM

178 posts, read 602,008 times

Advertisements

As I anticipate a possible move to the Chicago area this summer, I have been focused on living near water so that my family and I may enjoy water sports. We're not into jet skiing or water skiing, but would really like to be able to go kayaking, canoeing, stand-up paddling, and sailing.

Living near Lake Michigan is an obvious choice for these things, but might not be in our budget so I've been looking in other areas near Chicago knowing that my husband would be working downtown.

Any suggestions for areas where we might have regular and easy access to water for these kinds of things?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 10:01 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Honestly I think you may be disappointed in the watersports options in the region. A long time ago a very close friend that grew up on one of the smaller lakes that make up the Chain O' Lakes that stretch through Lake Co tried to make a business out of those 'active" type water sports and it did not do well.

The factors include the amount of algae / weeds that exist in most of the Chain, the high costs of fuel/ maintenance/ docks, shortness / unpredictability of the season (late springs / early winters mean that some years there are pretty limited ability to be in the water before May or after September).

The other factor is that historically the rivers in the region have not been managed for recreation so much as for flood control and even sewage. While water quality is much higher than it was in the past the stigma of this past along with Forest Preserve and Water Reclamation Districts that do see recreation as always being primary is a big hindrance.

Lest you think all is hopeless, there are some notable exceptions. Sailing on both Lake Michigan and (in appropriately sized vessels) the inland lakes of Illinois and Wisconsin is pretty healthy. There are organizations / firms that do try to promote the active water sports, including http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/kayak3.htm KayakChicago.com Chicagoland Canoe Base- Our History Paddling, kayaking and canoeing gear - kayaks, canoes, PFDs, dry bags by Ocean Kayak, Mad River.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:16 PM

720 posts, read 3,007,636 times
Default water sports

For sailing Lake Michigan is an obvious option. Like you mentioned Chicago is too expensive and Gary/Hammond is not an ideal place to live. I love the area around Michigan City and the dunes though, water tends to be warmer and cleaner in my opinoin.

Not too far away is New Buffalo, MI which is an awesome area for these activities. Its really only like 1.5 hours from the burb I live in.

I was going to recommend Channel Lakes but someone mentioned thats not a great area for active water sports. I went to collge with a couple buddies from that area and they loved boating and wake boarding there maybe not grteat for kayaking though. I think any area along the fox or dupage river would be good for kayaking. Some burbs that are nice that come to mind are Montgomery, parts of Aurora, Naperville, Plainfield, Shorewood, etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs