Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 02:34 PM

2 posts, read 3,624 times

Advertisements

Hi snmb70, I was wondering if you ever found what you were looking for? I am looking for something similar having dealt with two noisy neighbors in a row. It's really interesting to hear that you tried going upscale and had no luck, that's what I was hoping would help. Did you ever find a strict HOA? I wonder how to find one...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 03:40 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
There are older communities near the downtown area of Naperville that are wooded ... Also the Greentrails area is older and very beautiful, I think (lived near there 25 years ago pre-Seven Bridges). There are some nice wooded areas off Hobson, too.

Up near Winfield you might be able to find some secluded areas ... Mack Road has a semi-rural feel. Another place you might look at is near Jewell Road and County Farm Road in Wheaton.

The aforementioned Oswego/Montgomery/Boulder Hill area is also worth a look.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:29 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,944,003 times
Why not look at the sleepy little towns called Warrenville or Winfield. They are sufficiently close to Naperville and have in some places a semi rural atmosphere.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:54 AM

2 posts, read 3,624 times
I've been trying to figure out what makes a town "sleepy", in other words, how to find the quietest neighbors. So far I've been looking for older people, houses too large for single people, well-kept houses, and neighborhoods far from downtowns or highways (I'm not sure why this last one works but it seems to avoid the partiers).

But there seems to be no substitute for walking the neighborhood. Wheaton matched all my criteria and yet I counted eight people playing music in their backyards clearly audible 2-3 houses away in just half an hour. Darien on the other hand I've never heard anything. I am about to give up on my criteria and just do more walking. Or maybe I've answered my own question and I should live in Darien.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:23 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,438,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magpulse View Post
Wheaton matched all my criteria and yet I counted eight people playing music in their backyards clearly audible 2-3 houses away in just half an hour. Darien on the other hand I've never heard anything. I am about to give up on my criteria and just do more walking. Or maybe I've answered my own question and I should live in Darien.
I someone playing music in their yard interferes with your enjoyment of your own yard, then no reasonable lot size will be large enough to guarantee quiet. I live on an acre, and if I sat outside with music my neighbors would be able to hear it. It wouldn't be loud with booming bass, but they would still be able to hear the music. And good luck finding acre plots near Naperville.

To guarantee hearing nothing from your neighbors, it seems you need multiple acres, or a farm. But as another poster said, your neighbors will now have the ability to make noise with farm animals (roosters) and farm equipment.

I'm not sure your request can be satisfied with any kind of guarantee. You could move to Darien and a couple of months later you get a new neighbor with a 16yo kid with a big stereo in his car. Or your other neighbor just signed a contract with a landscape architect for new backyard landscaping, complete with outdoor sound system. To get what you're looking for, you would have to move someplace rural. Very rural. I know people with enough land that they can shoot guns in any direction, with no fear of hitting anyone. Now that's isolation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs