Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 06:53 PM

588 posts, read 1,800,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Another factor is the fact that the border used to be a crime draw. i.e. Perform a crime in Chicago, run across to Oak park and unless it was hot pursuit the police could not chase you. Having them able to work a few miles into the burbs helps control crime in the area. (i.e. They can spot and arrest someone without hot purist). If I remember correctly there is an agreement between Chicago and oak park allowing the cp and the oak park pd to work around the border.
What you wrote is not totally correct. Hot pursuit does not have to be in effect to make the arrest outside the jurisdiction. In IL there is what is called neighboring or adjoining jurisdiction. Meaning, let's say I'm a suburban cop, and I see a crime take place across the street in Chicago, I can stop the person, and depending upon the crime, make the arrest and bring them in myself. Now if it's a property crime or violent crime, then the jurisdiction it happened in will still get called to handle. But let's say I see a car at night driving with no lights on and its 2 blocks into another jurisdiction, I can still stop it and ticket it. Now let's say I get dope or a gun out of that same car. It's still my arrest for my town and never even have to notify the other town or city. There doesn't have to be an agreement for towns for this to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 09:04 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
... i.e. Perform a crime in Chicago, run across to Oak park and unless it was hot pursuit the police could not chase you.
The bigger issue over there is people committing crimes in Oak Park and then running back to Chicago. A great deal of Oak Park's crime is committed by Chicagoans. Just look at the published arrests in the paper time. The addresses are usually Chicago, Maywood, Bellwood, etc.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:50 PM

367 posts, read 917,998 times
On kinda a side note I've noticed police at the blue line subway stops everyday for the past week or two. Anyone know why? Not that I care one way or the other. Just curious.

I assume there was just some extra money around for it so they put some police down there.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:28 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,183,871 times
Maybe the food is better? There's one taqueria in Mt. Greenwood, a neighborhood where the cops certainly don't have to worry while taking a break. However, the taqueria by my condo in Oak Lawn is always filled with Chicago cops.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:44 AM

1,728 posts, read 4,727,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcjim40 View Post
What you wrote is not totally correct. Hot pursuit does not have to be in effect to make the arrest outside the jurisdiction. In IL there is what is called neighboring or adjoining jurisdiction. Meaning, let's say I'm a suburban cop, and I see a crime take place across the street in Chicago, I can stop the person, and depending upon the crime, make the arrest and bring them in myself. Now if it's a property crime or violent crime, then the jurisdiction it happened in will still get called to handle. But let's say I see a car at night driving with no lights on and its 2 blocks into another jurisdiction, I can still stop it and ticket it. Now let's say I get dope or a gun out of that same car. It's still my arrest for my town and never even have to notify the other town or city. There doesn't have to be an agreement for towns for this to happen.

Actually you are both slightly incorrect. Illinois statutes allow police officers to make a felony or misdemeanor arrest anywhere in the state. If a Chicago Police officer sees a crime in Carbondale, they can make the arrest in Carbondale, but the venue (where the court case will be heard) is whatever county Carbondale is located in.

Illinois provides contiguous jurisdiction for police officers. This means two things. One, if a felony or misdemeanor occurred in a jurisdiction like Downers Grove and the investigation leads to Carbondale, Downers Grove Police can make the arrest in Carbondale and the proper venue (where the court case will be heard) is DuPage County.

Finally, under contiguous jurisdiction, police officers can make an arrest or traffic stop in any jurisdiction that borders their own. That's why Chicago Police are in Oak Park. Since the L technically goes into Wilmette, Chicago Police can make traffic stops and arrests in Wilmette and have the case heard in Chicago Municipal District Court. In theory, Riverdale Police have traffic and arrest jurisdiction in the entire city of Chicago.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:56 AM

614 posts, read 1,764,938 times
When i was in Chicago a few weeks ago, i was walking down Michigan Av. I saw tons of cop cars(at least 10) and saw a few foot patrols around the base of the hancock.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:29 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,183,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckzona View Post
When i was in Chicago a few weeks ago, i was walking down Michigan Av. I saw tons of cop cars(at least 10) and saw a few foot patrols around the base of the hancock.
The police are patrolling major landmarks in a business and tourism center of a major city!!!!

I hope the media is investigating this, I expect a major story here!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago