Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 11:49 AM

1,325 posts, read 4,196,545 times

Advertisements

For those of you who have called 911 in the past for a true emergency, what was the approximate number of minutes before help arrived?
And in what section of the city?

Had a bad experience around E Wacker and Columbus where it took well over 10 minutes for a police response during middle of the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 12:43 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,167,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulful View Post
For those of you who have called 911 in the past for a true emergency, what was the approximate number of minutes before help arrived?
And in what section of the city?

Had a bad experience around E Wacker and Columbus where it took well over 10 minutes for a police response during middle of the day.
What kind of "bad experience" was it?

I've generally seen pretty quick response. I've never called for a huge emergency, but a dumpster fire at a place I used to live got put out within minutes. I called for a lost child once, and an officer arrived in about five minutes. Both of those were in the central area, River North/Old Town sort of area.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:52 PM

102 posts, read 332,636 times
A restaurant I used to work at in the Loop had to call the cops for someone refusing to pay their bill. It took about ten minutes for them to show up and by then the people were long gone. Another time we had to call because some psycho was outside screaming at and threatening our customers. They probably only took about five minutes that time and the guy was arrested.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:41 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,254,395 times
When my apartment was burglarized, it took over an hour (around 10PM, I made the call.)
When my car was buglarized, it took about 45 minutes.
When I called in the drunk bum sleeping in the vestibule, it took 30 minutes.

Remarkably, graffiti blasters had processed my request and cleaned up said graffiti within 36 hours (IIRC). That was pretty impressive.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:21 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,209,736 times
I've had good luck - never more than 10 minutes, and once in under a minute. I mostly call for drunken disturbances outside a nearby bar, and a couple of times when I've seen people trying to break into garages. Last time I called it was for two guys trying to fight in the middle of Milwaukee Ave. at 2 AM (they were too drunk to land any punches). Cops were there within a few minutes.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:36 PM

588 posts, read 1,799,844 times
10 minutes is pretty damn fast for non-priority calls. Burglaries that aren't in progress would get stacked and active calls get priority. It's only common sense, calls where people can get hurt or killed take priority over property crimes. 10 minutes for someone not paying a bill is very damn impressive since it's a low level theft. Remember when people want to complain the Police drive fast but don't use lights, or pop through a red light, it's we are responding to non inprogress calls but still want to get there quickly. So we are damned if we do and damned if we don't. Often times it can take me 15-20 minutes to get to calls across town if I do the speed limit and am stuck in traffic. So people gotta decide, you want your Cops getting there quickly or would you rather cry they drive too fast? I guarantee you once a Cop catches citizens beefs for his driving, for non priority calls he's doing the speed limit and following every rule of the road and the person will have to wait for that drive time.

With Chicago where they are down manpower and flooded with calls, burglaries, thefts, vandalism, minor thefts and squabbles will always stack, and stack for a long time for in progress fights, shootings, domestic and other violence.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:37 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,678,955 times
No problems here. Seems like response times are short.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:50 AM

102 posts, read 332,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcjim40 View Post
10 minutes for someone not paying a bill is very damn impressive since it's a low level theft.
Oh yeah, for sure. I didn't mean to imply that it was too slow, I only added the part about them being gone because of course that's how it would go. No one is going to not pay a bill and then hang around after the manager tells them he already called the police.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:56 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,197,058 times
Never had to deal with calling an emergency vehicle.

Although once I shot a gun and the cops came around the block in less then 5 minutes.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:17 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,196,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Never had to deal with calling an emergency vehicle.

Although once I shot a gun and the cops came around the block in less then 5 minutes.
5 minutes is pretty good for a "shots fired" in the city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago