Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 04:48 PM

3,502 posts, read 3,148,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartGXL View Post
What I would do, is rent a hotel (or hostel) downtown, and spend the first day or two walking around, exploring the Loop and River North, and then use the CTA pass (or take a cab) to travel to the various neighborhoods for the rest of the week.

Like others said, check out Wicker Park/Bucktown, as well as Lakeview. I would also use google to try to find Open Mic nights. Honestly, I havew not seen these advertised in a while, so there may not actually be any in those neighborhoods going on. I do know that there is a monthly event called CAKE, held at the Red Line Tap, which is on the far north side of the city. They usually have independent artists of different genres (rock, poetry slams, etc) at this event and so I think that if you find out when this will be held, contact the organizers and see if you can be in the show, then plan your trip around that and other Open Mic nights that might be happening.
There's an Open Mic every Sunday Night at the Bucktown Pub (1658 Cortland St) and on Thursdays at Gallery Cabaret (2020 North Oakley Avenue). And Pint Pub on Tuesday Nights (1547 N Milwaukee Ave.)
I think there's one on Wednesdays at The Globe Pub but I'd double check that. Also, I am talking w/the management at The Streetside Cafe (3201 W. Armitage) about hosting an Open Mic night there, probably Wednesday nights, and it should be up and running by summertime. I will post more details and advise on more open mic nights as I get more info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 06:37 PM

16,410 posts, read 30,368,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
To correct this, "nobody says hi to strangers who look like they want to be left alone or who are regulars that talk to no one."

I'm not the most outgoing person, am totally average in looks, but I can't even count the number of times I've had great conversations with random people in bars in Chicago. Chicagoans are friendly, and it doesn't take much effort to strike up a conversation and, often, a friend. I've gotten free food and drinks from people in bars - other patrons, not the bar itself - just by somethign as simple as asking what it is they're eating or even just saying it looked delicious.
===========================

In general, if you can't strike up a conversation in the Chicagoland area (or most parts of the midwest), it says more about you than the area. Most people will strike up a conversation with you whether you are on the bus, in a bar or restaurant, etc. Open up a map in teh Loop and you'll get several people giving you directions.

And if you are a tourist, most people will send you to their favorite sights or favorite restaurants.

Now if you are arrogant, people can sense it and act accordingly.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:32 PM

896 posts, read 1,403,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
To correct this, "nobody says hi to strangers who look like they want to be left alone or who are regulars that talk to no one."

I'm not the most outgoing person, am totally average in looks, but I can't even count the number of times I've had great conversations with random people in bars in Chicago. Chicagoans are friendly, and it doesn't take much effort to strike up a conversation and, often, a friend. I've gotten free food and drinks from people in bars - other patrons, not the bar itself - just by somethign as simple as asking what it is they're eating or even just saying it looked delicious.

Is everyone in Chicago friendly? I'm sure they're not, but don't let odannyboi's dour attitude disuade you. Making conversation, contacts and friends in Chicago is not difficult if you're capable of even just basic conversation.
I do not know about this. I am minglier but I have better luck in places like a grocery store instead of a bar. I would love to comment on a food looking good to start a conversation in a bar but I feel that people would laugh at a me or look like how I am stupid. How is this even possible when everybody is in their cliques.

I think it is easy to start conversation with people in line waiting, but in a bar I think not especially with locals.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:45 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephei2000 View Post
I do not know about this. I am minglier but I have better luck in places like a grocery store instead of a bar. I would love to comment on a food looking good to start a conversation in a bar but I feel that people would laugh at a me or look like how I am stupid. How is this even possible when everybody is in their cliques.

I think it is easy to start conversation with people in line waiting, but in a bar I think not especially with locals.
It may depend on the bar. I tend to patronize classier and/or lower-key places, not hot-and-heavy "meet markets."

Old 01-05-2011, 03:49 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,691,579 times
While we had some difficulty making close friends in Chicago, it was always quite easy to strike up a random conversation with someone. That probably depends quite a bit on your own personality and if you come across immediately as a douche.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:43 PM

396 posts, read 927,628 times
Alright, first off let me rephrase... Midwesterners aren't closed off, Chicagoans are. I wasn't referring to talking with people in bars. I'm talking about just the simple things. Chicago people won't look you in the eyes. While in Georgia, nearly every person I encountered walking in the opposite direction nodded and said "Hello." In California, the females would make eye contact and smile...you'd be hard pressed to see that in northside.

Flying to Arizona, GA, or CA, or even FL (granted the woman was from Texas, the friendliest people out there), I would have awesome conversations that the other person initiated... going back, not so much. Two guys answered bluntly and just stared at the seat then fell asleep when I tried asking about some games I missed while traveling (and I could tell they were from Chicago because they had the nasally accent and stupid mustache). I was surprised when someone was talking to me about her business going back to Chicago from GA, then found out she was from St. Louis (now, St. Louis people are friendly).

Go look at the CTA, everyone stares at the ground while riding. I saw one guy try to talk with people, then got off on his stop.. then the 2 people he was talking to were laughing and asking each other, "Do you know him or something?" Go ahead and say something is wrong with me instead.. I know am an excellent conversationalist, the type that never has an awkward pause.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:49 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,353,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odannyboi View Post
Alright, first off let me rephrase... Midwesterners aren't closed off, Chicagoans are.
Oh lord.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:52 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,662,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
Oh lord.
Haha, like the first term wasn't bad enough, lol.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:03 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,486,354 times
Quote:
Alright, first off let me rephrase... Midwesterners aren't closed off, Chicagoans are. I wasn't referring to talking with people in bars. I'm talking about just the simple things. Chicago people won't look you in the eyes. While in Georgia, nearly every person I encountered walking in the opposite direction nodded and said "Hello." In California, the females would make eye contact and smile...you'd be hard pressed to see that in northside.

Flying to Arizona, GA, or CA, or even FL (granted the woman was from Texas, the friendliest people out there), I would have awesome conversations that the other person initiated... going back, not so much. Two guys answered bluntly and just stared at the seat then fell asleep when I tried asking about some games I missed while traveling (and I could tell they were from Chicago because they had the nasally accent and stupid mustache). I was surprised when someone was talking to me about her business going back to Chicago from GA, then found out she was from St. Louis (now, St. Louis people are friendly).

Go look at the CTA, everyone stares at the ground while riding. I saw one guy try to talk with people, then got off on his stop.. then the 2 people he was talking to were laughing and asking each other, "Do you know him or something?" Go ahead and say something is wrong with me instead.. I know am an excellent conversationalist, the type that never has an awkward pause.
Good insight here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
While we had some difficulty making close friends in Chicago, it was always quite easy to strike up a random conversation with someone. That probably depends quite a bit on your own personality and if you come across immediately as a douche.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:22 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,691,579 times
Quote:
While in Georgia, nearly every person I encountered walking in the opposite direction nodded and said "Hello."
Well I'm one of those friendly St. Louisans, but I have no deserve to randomly speak to every person with whom I cross paths. This isn't recess. I've got places to be.

That said, I've had loads of conversations with random folks when you're in a captive audience setting -- sitting on the bus or waiting in line at the DMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago