Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 04:13 PM

103 posts, read 257,839 times

Advertisements

I was born in Arlington Heights, Illinois and grew up in Wheeling, IL for 17 years of my life before relocating to Northern Florida. While not technically within limits of the city of Chicago, and while some people have their opinions of "suburbanites" and non 773 area codes, my dad and the rest of his family grew up in Chicago. I think most of the suburbs would be considered metropolitan area of Chicago and so if someone asks, I tell them I grew up in the Chicago area since most of cook county is associated as Chicagoland anyways. I don't think i've ever told anyone i'm from Illinois, just has a different vibe. It's like saying "i'm from California" when you could say your from LA or San Francisco or San Diego.

I don't say i'm from Illinois because most of Illinois outside of Cook county is culturally very different from the rest of the Chicago area in general.

My mother was born in Wisconsin but lived in the Chicago suburbs for 22 years of her life so she considers herself from Chicago.

Anyways i've been through east st. louis, springfield, southern and northern Illinois and completely different in my opinion.

I wouldn't say i'm proud to be from there, but it's where I grew up and I do focus on the positive things rather than the negative, too much politics, corruption, and negative associations, but I do miss the food and riding the CTA through the city, museums and navy pier. I would like to take my wife there to visit, but I can't see myself ever living there again.

Last edited by PILMAN; 12-30-2012 at 04:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 04:52 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,680,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
They will have the same reaction if you say you are from L.A. or NYC. Who cares? Most of them wish they could live in one of the big 3 instead of the little crappy boring ass places they live in. You think somebody from Craphole, KY or Wheatbore, KS or Opensewer, MS is going to look down their nose at me? I don't think so! If you live in the big 3, you are somebody. Not just anybody can live in the big 3. It is a privilege to live in the big 3. Like to visit places but don't want to live anywhere that Dominoes is the best pizza in town!
It's great being from a big city because that means some jobs and opportunity.

I love being from Chicago, and love going back. Also, with the 'Chicago way' I can pick up a phone and make more things happen that I think I could most places.

If a more laid back life is for you, great, but I like the ambition and success the big city offers.

As far as the rest of the state is concerned, I think I can count the number of times I went west of 59 and south of I-80 on both hands. I've gone to Wisconsin or Michigan many times more than I ever traveled within the state. It never existed on my radar.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:56 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,320,406 times
Quote:
If you live in the big 3, you are somebody. Not just anybody can live in the big 3. It is a privilege to live in the big 3.
Yes, yes... Every two-bit gangbanger, drug dealer, and homeless person who lives in NYC, LA, or Chicago is oh, so special just because they've managed to live in "the big 3" whereas all those losers who live everywhere else are resentful and doomed to a life not worth living because they can never make it happen.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:45 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,974,215 times
I don't know what to write about the big 3 statement.

I know of many who live in rural parts of the Tennessee who do more in life than people who live in Lakeview, Lincoln Park and the Gold Coast. It seems that thought process is the same as the one that thinks people are more sophisticated in the big 3. Its a bunch of crap!!!

I personally love the urban lifestyle of "the big3". At the same time I've lived all over the country and know better than what's being preached by some.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:51 PM

778 posts, read 998,905 times
I wonder how many of these "somebodies" from NYC, LA and Chi are actually from these cities and not from nobodyville aka everywhere else?

We all know how transient NYC and LA are.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:47 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,874,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyooooo View Post
Ever think people live where they do because they want to? Not everyone is clamoring to live in cities. Why do you think most people want to live in the big 3? Give me an answer to this question.

If you live in the big 3 you are somebody? What the **** are you talking about? All those folks in SF and DC, etc. are all nobodies I guess.

Im from a city of 60,000, and Dominoes knows better than to be here. We are pizza elitists ourselves since its extremely Italian here, but I still fail to see how this even remotely makes any sense anyway in determining superiority.

Probably one of the worst things ive ever read on the internet.
The big 3 are like the big leagues. When you live here, you know you have made it for the most part. Everything else is bush league or minor league. That is why people call that vast empty space between Chicago and Las Vegas "flyover country".

Old 12-30-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PILMAN View Post
I was born in Arlington Heights, Illinois and grew up in Wheeling, IL for 17 years of my life before relocating to Northern Florida. While not technically within limits of the city of Chicago, and while some people have their opinions of "suburbanites" and non 773 area codes, my dad and the rest of his family grew up in Chicago. I think most of the suburbs would be considered metropolitan area of Chicago and so if someone asks, I tell them I grew up in the Chicago area since most of cook county is associated as Chicagoland anyways. I don't think i've ever told anyone i'm from Illinois, just has a different vibe. It's like saying "i'm from California" when you could say your from LA or San Francisco or San Diego.

I don't say i'm from Illinois because most of Illinois outside of Cook county is culturally very different from the rest of the Chicago area in general.

My mother was born in Wisconsin but lived in the Chicago suburbs for 22 years of her life so she considers herself from Chicago.

Anyways i've been through east st. louis, springfield, southern and northern Illinois and completely different in my opinion.

I wouldn't say i'm proud to be from there, but it's where I grew up and I do focus on the positive things rather than the negative, too much politics, corruption, and negative associations, but I do miss the food and riding the CTA through the city, museums and navy pier. I would like to take my wife there to visit, but I can't see myself ever living there again.
If you live in Cook, DuPage, Henry, Lake (IL), Lake(IN) or Kenosha (WI), you are Chicago because you live within the sphere of influence of Chicago.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:55 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,070,279 times
Quote:
If you live in Cook, DuPage, Henry, Lake (IL), Lake(IN) or Kenosha (WI), you are Chicago because you live within the sphere of influence of Chicago.
You forgot Will County. And really Kankakee County is under Chicago's sphere of influence too.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyooooo View Post
I wonder how many of these "somebodies" from NYC, LA and Chi are actually from these cities and not from nobodyville aka everywhere else?

We all know how transient NYC and LA are.
Yes many are from elsewhere. You cannot choose where you are born but if you work hard and get educated, you can choose where you die. If you work hard enough, you may one day get to live in one of the big 3. Or you can be fortunate enough to be born here. But even if you are born here, if you are a failure, you might not get to stay. You might end up in prison- as I did- or you might end up having to go to some God forsaken land like Texas so you can get a job because you were not good enough to get a job here.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:12 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,320,406 times
Quote:
The big 3 are like the big leagues. When you live here, you know you have made it for the most part. Everything else is bush league or minor league. That is why people call that vast empty space between Chicago and Las Vegas "flyover country".
Actually, many on the coasts -- rightly or wrongly -- consider Chicago to be part of "flyover country" as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago