Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 05:24 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,199,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northsiderebel View Post
Assume much?
People on this site assume much worse.
And I'm pretty sure he's right anyway

Old 06-10-2011, 07:09 AM

20 posts, read 43,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsiderebel View Post
Assume much?
I agree that this is an unfair assumption. Maybe the guy looks like he'd be tougher to steal from. I have seen similar confrontations on the CTA and they always seem to target slim and ineffectual-looking young men.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:33 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Canada has fewer Blacks than Chicago.

Canada - 783,795

Chicago- 886, 851

Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Black Canadians - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also Canada's Black population consists mainly of immigrants and their children so the depravity is not as acute among them as it is among Chicago's Blacks.
jeesh, could you at least replace "depravity" with, I dunno, "poverty"?

I can't even fathom what black Chicagoans must think of these message boards some times...

Old 06-10-2011, 08:53 AM

1,568 posts, read 3,227,425 times
McCarthy has the right attitude. It's a ground war and the insurgents need to be eliminated.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:59 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I guess I just knew it was because I knew the site it was coming from.
Exactly. Any site uses SCC posts and comments (or any blog for that matter) as the only source for reports is not to be trusted. They also picked the most outrageous comments from the SCC post and ignored the huge number of comments that were in this vein:

Quote:
There was NOT a flash mob at the Ag school.. two groups of students got in an argument..one of the students car's got a broken window.. the police quickly arrived on scene. No arrests, no complaints filed.. students quickly disbanded. Did not involve pedestrians, other citizens, nor other property.
Posts at SCC should be taken with a grain of salt, and the comments should be taken with a truckload of salt. I've actually witnessed two incidents that were posted about on SCC. The original posts stretched the truth and implied something larger happened, then the comments filled up with completely false and alarmist descriptions by people claiming to have been there.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcho View Post
It's nice to see the neighbors rally around this incident. I don't live in the neighborhood but I'm pretty certain that park where the incident happened is a latin kings corner and it was MLDs doing the shooting. Two small sets of obviously much larger gangs, but with the local response hopefully they can push these thugs out of the area.
Kimball is the fault line, with MLDs east (and south of Belmont), LKs west (and north of Belmont). There seems to be indeterminate/overlapping turf in that zone between Diversey- Belmont and Kimball and Central Park.

What kills me is that by now, you'd think these guys would all be smart enough to do their "business" in a much more low-key manner. Calling attention to your organized criminal enterprise is not a wise move, traditionally speaking. The original criminal gangs had this figured out shortly after the end of Prohibition.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:17 AM

537 posts, read 1,034,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Kimball is the fault line, with MLDs east (and south of Belmont), LKs west (and north of Belmont). There seems to be indeterminate/overlapping turf in that zone between Diversey- Belmont and Kimball and Central Park.

What kills me is that by now, you'd think these guys would all be smart enough to do their "business" in a much more low-key manner. Calling attention to your organized criminal enterprise is not a wise move, traditionally speaking. The original criminal gangs had this figured out shortly after the end of Prohibition.
Which is where this park is. Frankly, I'm surprised that with the big neighbor response there were kings in that park at all. Typically, an involved active group of neighbors forces these idiots elsewhere. I'm hearing talks of wanting to remove that basketball court, since it's a hotspot. I can't say I would be 100% opposed to that.

I have friends a few blocks away at Eddy and Lawndale and we almost bought just down the street from them. It appeared to be a great, family friendly area. The shooting at that park really took me by surprise.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Which is where this park is. Frankly, I'm surprised that with the big neighbor response there were kings in that park at all. Typically, an involved active group of neighbors forces these idiots elsewhere. I'm hearing talks of wanting to remove that basketball court, since it's a hotspot. I can't say I would be 100% opposed to that.

I have friends a few blocks away at Eddy and Lawndale and we almost bought just down the street from them. It appeared to be a great, family friendly area. The shooting at that park really took me by surprise.
the park is a problem due to how set-apart it is from the rest of the neighborhood. the expressways shoehorns it on the back end, with an alley and then a one way street (which curves with the highway) on the other two sides.

and I don't know of the people playing basketball were gang members, so far they've just ID'd the shooter/driver as such. gangbangers do periodically go and just stir up trouble in areas where their rivals are known to hang out, regardless of who is actually on the street.

they aren't exactly the most brilliant bunch of folks if you get my drift.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:06 PM

994 posts, read 1,830,956 times
Quote:

It took me by surprise too and I have lived in the neighborhood for about 25 years. Avondale is not the safest neighborhood in the but it's not dangerous either. It's kind of like in the middle. Shooting like these are rare in this area. Other things like people being jumped, cars being broken into, etc, are more common. However, I think most residents are a little surprised, it just doesn't really happen around here.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
It took me by surprise too and I have lived in the neighborhood for about 25 years. Avondale is not the safest neighborhood in the but it's not dangerous either. It's kind of like in the middle. Shooting like these are rare in this area. Other things like people being jumped, cars being broken into, etc, are more common. However, I think most residents are a little surprised, it just doesn't really happen around here.
There have been pretty consistent (although infrequent, maybe a few a year) gang shootings in Avondale, the area around Small Bar, and just a few weeks back there was homicide just south of Belmont & California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago