Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2011, 09:04 PM

491 posts, read 1,121,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonWI1 View Post
Geez, you've never seen a violent crime, so they must not exist!

I guess we should follow your internet anecdotes, instead of following the federally-reviewed CPD crime data!

Pay no attention to the FBI-verified crime data! Just listen to whatever an anomymous internet poster says!
There is very little serious crime in what is referred to as 'downtown' Chicago.

If you try to argue that there is most people on this board will just stop listening to you because you are revealing yourself to not have even a very basic knowledge of the city.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:35 PM

427 posts, read 463,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Maybe they're scared of it because you and other brown people have been there before, Alacran.

Because it's only safe if brown people are unaware of its existence..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydbarrett View Post
How in the world do you know if this guy is "brown" or not?

Calling Jesse Jackson. Your minion has set himself up for an epic fail.

Quote:
Because I've been a regular on this forum for a while. And because I tend to know at least a little bit about someone on my friends list. Alacran is Mexican. He's first generation American and a city transplant living in Maywood.
Mexican does not always equal "brown." Do you stereotype much? My guess is hell yes.

Last edited by sydbarrett; 08-10-2011 at 10:18 PM..

Old 08-10-2011, 10:07 PM

90 posts, read 246,729 times
Haha wtf

Old 08-10-2011, 10:24 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,199,361 times
It's summer. Everyone is brown right now.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:13 AM

665 posts, read 1,243,571 times
Impose martial law and shoot all flash mobs on site.
like syria.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:24 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
It's summer. Everyone is brown right now.
lmfao

Old 08-11-2011, 08:10 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times
Sunny and Cloudy Days,

Your position on the recent incidents in Lakeview is a little surprising to me. I have two words for you: Lane Bryant. How would you feel if similar posts were being made in Tiney Park. Both Lakeview and Tinley are safe areas that just happen to have a lot of various different kinds of people not from the neighorhood walking around. There's no reason to be afraid..

Syd the Tuna,

Black isn't black either. White isn't white. Yellow (Asian) isn't yellow. Red (native american) isn't red. It's an expression. Take it up with came up with these expressions not me.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:48 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times
Quote:
Sunny and Cloudy Days,

Your position on the recent incidents in Lakeview is a little surprising to me. I have two words for you: Lane Bryant. How would you feel if similar posts were being made in Tiney Park. Both Lakeview and Tinley are safe areas that just happen to have a lot of various different kinds of people not from the neighorhood walking around. There's no reason to be afraid..

Syd the Tuna,

Black isn't black either. White isn't white. Yellow (Asian) isn't yellow. Red (native american) isn't red. It's an expression. Take it up with came up with these expressions not me.

In what area were you surprised by the comments. If it was about the brown comment , just thought it was funny b/c its summer and everyone is brown that is all
In a nutshell I was just stating I do not feel Chicago is as bad as some cities for crime.
I just do not feel uneasy in downtown Chicago or in lakeview
If I came across as not caring for the victim that was not my intention

The media I feel as taken advantage of the crimes and sensationized the mob attacks
I do feel terrible for the victims even the shooting victim even though it appears he has choose this way of life. But its not me to judge and of course I feel terrible for his family , children and friends .
anyway if i came across as not caring for the victims that was not my intention and i will be more careful with my words
TP: shooting I do remember that day and although i did not know anyone who was killed i did thru people i know and that was an awful day for a lot of people.
so again i do apologize if i did not seem caring for any victim

Last edited by sunnyandcloudydays; 08-12-2011 at 04:04 AM.. Reason: comment

Old 08-12-2011, 05:26 AM

427 posts, read 463,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
In what area were you surprised by the comments. If it was about the brown comment , just thought it was funny b/c its summer and everyone is brown that is all
In a nutshell I was just stating I do not feel Chicago is as bad as some cities for crime.
I just do not feel uneasy in downtown Chicago or in lakeview
If I came across as not caring for the victim that was not my intention

The media I feel as taken advantage of the crimes and sensationized the mob attacks
I do feel terrible for the victims even the shooting victim even though it appears he has choose this way of life. But its not me to judge and of course I feel terrible for his family , children and friends .
anyway if i came across as not caring for the victims that was not my intention and i will be more careful with my words
TP: shooting I do remember that day and although i did not know anyone who was killed i did thru people i know and that was an awful day for a lot of people.
so again i do apologize if i did not seem caring for any victim
You should feel no reason to apologize because of this guy's masturbatory hyperbole.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:08 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,375,471 times
Quote:
No, it's not. I was at the Dunkin Donuts on Clark and Belmont after 10pm not too long ago and saw a lot of different interesting characters but no one particularly threatening. Where are you originally from, SmartGXL?
Urza - To answer your question, although I am not originally "from" Chicago, I have lived in IL since 1998. I have lived in Lakeview (in the East Lakeview/Central Lakeview/Boystown area) since 2002 (except for a 2 year stint over in Wicker Park from 2009 until April 2011). Before moving away - the neighborhood was as close to Utopia as it gets. You could walk around without feeling "menaced" by packs of low class idiots. And I used to visit a lot during the 2 years that I lived over in Wicker Park and it always felt 'safe'. There was never any reason to think that anything had changed. So I moved back at the end of April of this year, and after Memorial day, everything suddenly had changed...(and not to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but it almost seems like this is being directed or coordinated at a higher level)...every night, large packs of a-holes walking all up and down Halsted and Belmont too, harrassing and menacing people, fighting, pushing people off the sidewalks etc. In the boystown area this summer, there have been DOZENS of violent attacks of one sort or another: Muggings, beating, stabbings, at least one rape (took place on a sidewalk), numerous apartment break-ins, etc. Someone took a crowbar and tried to pry open our front door. Two gay men in my building have had their face smashed by random thugs walking around. A large pack of thugs stood outside Steamworks and was harrassing and attacking gay men, who were minding their own business, coming in and out of that place. And this is on top of the normal, isolated crime incidents that normally take place, and are to be expected on some level or another but are usually low impact to the community (fights between drunken frat bros who know each other, inside "Vines" Bar are not really a menace to the general safety of the neighborhood).

Since deploying more police, the situation has gotten better...so the answer is to flood the area with even more police, maybe two or 3 on every block, plus amp up the volunteer dog-walking teams, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago