Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 02:21 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,168,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wshw997 View Post
...many in Chicago have a inferiority complex because deep down inside they understand that Chicago is no match in any way to NYC...
Not true. I'm very happy in Chicago and by no means wish I were in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 02:22 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,945,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Yes many people I know were worried that we might be the target of an attack. But NO ONE I know had a sense of disappointment that we didn't get attacked. That is your opinion, but please be more specific and try "some Chicagoans" or "Chicagoans I talked to" instead of blatantly saying Chicagoans as though everybody, let alone a majority, felt that way. I didn't and those I know didn't and I am offended that you would insinuate otherwise to make your point

I don't know what your beef is, but there were volunteers from this area who went to NYC to assist after the attacks.
Why don't you state your opinion about the issues raised in the initial post?

Old 09-12-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
Not true. I'm very happy in Chicago and by no means wish I were in NYC.
not true for you...again, the poster didn't say all Chicagoans...

Old 09-12-2011, 02:24 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,168,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
not true for you...again, the poster didn't say all Chicagoans...
Not true in general.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
Not true in general.
You cited to the part about Chicago having an inferiority comlex and can't accept it's no match for NY...again, this thread's theme points it out...it is true.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:47 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,537,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I agree with the OP. I have not heard the media make one comment about the Willis tower in years regarding it being a terrorist target. It seems like the next logical attack. Especially since there have been other attempts in NYC like the time square bomber. I don't think anyone else expects another plane to bring down a building though, and Chicago is not NYC. I'm guessing intelligence has not shown that Chicago is that big of a target compared to NYC.
That it's not being talked about in the media doesn't mean that Sears Tower isn't on the terrorist radar or that Homeland Security doesn't consider it a terrorist target. We don't know what goes on away from the public eye.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
That it's not being talked about in the media doesn't mean that Sears Tower isn't on the terrorist radar or that Homeland Security doesn't consider it a terrorist target. We don't know what goes on away from the public eye.
Outside of NYC and DC, there are potential targets everywhere for these idiots...Willis Tower, St. Louis Arch, Independence Hall, Mt. Rushmore, LAX, Seattle Space Needle, nuke plants, refineries etc...

Old 09-12-2011, 03:32 PM

815 posts, read 1,858,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Outside of NYC and DC, there are potential targets everywhere for these idiots...Willis Tower, St. Louis Arch, Independence Hall, Mt. Rushmore, LAX, Seattle Space Needle, nuke plants, refineries etc...
This is true and LAX has already been a big target, a bomber tried to blow it up for Y2K, almost 2 years before 9/11. As was talk of Liberty Bell in Philadelphia at one point.

NYC represents the wests economic might, DC political power As I stated before, that is what they were concerned with. They didn't care that they were tall, the Pentagon and White House were obviously not tall. The London and Madrid bombings were obviously not tall.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:45 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan
Yes many people I know were worried that we might be the target of an attack. But NO ONE I know had a sense of disappointment that we didn't get attacked. That is your opinion, but please be more specific and try "some Chicagoans" or "Chicagoans I talked to" instead of blatantly saying Chicagoans as though everybody, let alone a majority, felt that way. I didn't and those I know didn't and I am offended that you would insinuate otherwise to make your point

I don't know what your beef is, but there were volunteers from this area who went to NYC to assist after the attacks.

You're not offended by the this thread's theme but you're offended by experience with this topic in Chicago?
I reread the thread from post 1 and although some posts were inane, I was not offended by the thread's theme or by my personal experience with this topic in Chicago. The OP asked if Willis Tower was a target. With concerns and high security levels, it is a legitimate question for a forum like this. The OP never said he hopes we get attacked, or I'm disappointed we didn't get attacked 10 years ago. You jumped in and shared your experiences with getting stores on Broadway to display the American flag and then in another post, seemingly, grouped all Chicagoans together and ripped us for our responses by saying we were disappointed we weren't attacked. And you expect me not to take offense to that? Or other Chicagoans on this board not to take offense?

Old 09-12-2011, 04:25 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,944,003 times
anyone who thinks that chicagoans in general, or even very many or them wish we would have been attacked on 911 is wrong, and sick. I'm sure there are some sick and depraved people who might think that but it was not a prevailing thought. What kind of a nut would think or say something like that. I worked downtown at the time near the Sears Tower and there was fear that we might be attacked too, or we might be next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago