Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 09:05 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,391,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
It was the tallest even before WTC fell...

WTC was not targeted for being tall, it was targeted for it's economic center..."WORLD trade center"...i.e. a hand in the western economic policy they oppose. The same way it was targeted in 1993. The Pentagon and White House were targeted for their political impact.
I can't believe it took a whole page before someone pointed this out.

The twin towers were the tallest in the country for all of two years. The Sears Tower (Willis Tower if you're nasty) has been the tallest since it was built back in 1973/74. Taller roof height. Taller antenna/spire height.

I harp on this only because I've had at least a half dozen conversations with people over the last decade where I mention that the Sears Tower is the tallest building in the country and they say, sort of sadly, "well, yeah. I guess it is now, huh?" But it was the tallest in 1975, 1985, 1995, 2005, and today.

Now, when that new WTC building is finished, we can finally talk about how the Sears Tower used to be the tallest...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 09:06 AM

2,131 posts, read 4,916,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
I'm not aware. What/where is this Willis Tower?
It's the new name for the Sears Tower. Willis bought the naming rights to the building a few years ago.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:15 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,664,891 times
Who cares. That's my response.

Here and on another message board (that shall go unnamed) height is just touted as this ridiculous measure of worth.

I don't understand it. Office space is important, and space in general is important, but the skyscraper obsession I don't get.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:28 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,391,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post

Here and on another message board (that shall go unnamed) height is just touted as this ridiculous measure of worth.

I don't understand it. Office space is important, and space in general is important, but the skyscraper obsession I don't get.
It's probably a wiener thing.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:55 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,202,761 times
Quote:

Many love skyscrapers.

Quit hating.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:07 AM

815 posts, read 1,858,953 times
Quote:

I agree. FWIW the Sears Tower is just not that appealing aesthetically. Now if it was TALL and appealing, then that would be another story. I think the Chrysler building in New York for instance is both tall and aesthetically pleasing.

As far as attacks go, the Sears tower could probably withstand something of that scale as it has the multiple dimensions flanking the main structure. The Standard Oil/AON building however is extremely similar to WTC both in style and it's load bearing walls.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:24 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,523,609 times
i like the sears. very menacing/sinister looking. its just a bada** building

Old 09-11-2011, 10:43 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,202,761 times
Yeah. It ain't about being pretty when it comes to the sears.
Its about being a beast.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:26 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,168,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I agree with the OP. I have not heard the media make one comment about the Willis tower in years regarding it being a terrorist target. It seems like the next logical attack. Especially since there have been other attempts in NYC like the time square bomber. I don't think anyone else expects another plane to bring down a building though, and Chicago is not NYC. I'm guessing intelligence has not shown that Chicago is that big of a target compared to NYC.
What? Actually it is and has been a target and it is talked about in the media regularly, at least in Chicago. Everyone is aware of the situation, thanks for your concern.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:14 PM

815 posts, read 1,858,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
What? Actually it is and has been a target and it is talked about in the media regularly, at least in Chicago. Everyone is aware of the situation, thanks for your concern.
That's b/c Chicago media by and large is fairly provincial and will find a way to make any national story with some tie in to Chicago, it's rather annoying actually. It was one of the first things I noticed when I relocated to Chicago how Chicagocentric everything is. They have some great journalists, and even possibly the best journalism school in Medill, but, it still remains Chicagocentric. The media in NYC/DC is much more national/global, which should be fairly obvious to anybody paying attention.
While I'm at it, LA is just as bad, so not singling out Chicago. They are both "just big enough" that sometimes they don't see the forest for the trees. SF and Boston media have a more international/national angle also and tend to follow what's going on in DC/NYC, just they have weaker journalists/newspapers.

/rant

Last edited by Garfieldian; 09-11-2011 at 12:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago