Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 06:34 AM

143 posts, read 334,338 times

Advertisements

Can't really speak on a lot for the South SHore area as I only visit the neighborhood about once every other month. But my money is on you guys living there and within the next 10-15 years (if you choose to stay that long), it being a great investment as University of CHicago on the south side is definitely playing a significant role in soutshores development as it is a very near neighborhood. THis is just my opinion. But hopefully something you've thought about. Also remember just a few years ago when there was talk of the Olympics in Chicago the city sought after south shore as a gold mine in redevelopment. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 02:20 AM

15 posts, read 32,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Chet Everett, they don't want to live in some far flung landlocked suburb or city neighborhood. They want to live close to the lake. They want to see the water when they drive home from work. They want to very on their bikes and ride the lake front path. They want to walk to Jackson Park.

Can you offer a suggestion that more closely fits their desires?
Yes, this is exactly what we're looking for. When when lived in Chicago before, we were at the lake at least weekly & frequented MSI & Shedd, so proximity to those places would be ideal for us.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:26 PM

5 posts, read 5,802 times
I am actually from the South Chicago neighborhood, moved from south suburban Calumet City. I actually really like this neighborhood. It has seen some changes the past 10 years, but I really like how you have some really diverse housing options and it has a certain urban charm to it. The Metra Electric runs straight through the neighborhoods so you have an easy access to downtown, especially lake shore drive, youll literally be downtown in about 15 minutes. And the whole Lakeside Development is pretty exiting, they already opened a Cycling Velodrome on 87th and Burley and currently making a new park on 90th and Green Bay. But we have a long way to go to be the next Lincoln or Wicker Park

Old 11-27-2011, 08:45 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,941,830 times
basically you can not really get a cheap house near the lake unless its a bad neighborhood. Now i know somebody on this board will search and find one there are always exceptions. Your budget for a house is so low that most at that price will not be in a good area or if they are they will be real fixer uppers. I second berwyn, there are some good buys there for solid houses and I do not think its bad, but on the upswing. another option is a condo which might be more realistic.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:04 PM

829 posts, read 2,088,809 times
There are a lot of homes in south shore within that price range in very decent parts of the neighborhood. You will find plenty of like minded young professional families who recently moved there for exactly the same reasons that you mentioned in certain parts. Such as home prices, proximity to the lake, lake shore drive, city life, commute times, the real urban feel of the neighborhood, etc. One of my cousins recently purchased a very charming property in south shore close to the lake. Fixer uppers in terms of chicago style homes are really no big deal. Because of the simple layout and reasonable square footage. You get the necessary work done to feel good about moving in. And worry about the finished basement man cave later.

It will cost you a lot less than you expected if you find the right contractor to do the work. Lots of contractors need work these days. Good luck. Do not be scared off from the city. Because if you truly want that urban excitement you will not find it at all in the confines of the suburbs.

Last edited by allen2323; 11-27-2011 at 09:27 PM..

Old 11-28-2011, 08:33 AM

400 posts, read 957,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanicMoon View Post
Hello, my name is Emily & my husband & I are in the process of purchasing our 1st home.

When we started looking in the city, we started our search in the South Shore. We almost purchased a beautiful home located at 7667 S Coles, but due harassment & accusations of being police from a group of males down the block, we unfortunately were spooked & backed out of that purchase.
We'll both admit that we are not as familiar with the city as we'd like to be, so any suggestions for neighborhoods that may suit us better would be more than welcome.
Bangers always try to scare off newbies. But thats crazy. Being an urban pioneer is not for the faint of heart, if it was easy everyone would do it. The risks are high but the rewards are higher. Southshore is still risk oblivious in my book. But its at the top of risk oblivious where you can almost call it risk aware. I dont see people actively blogging that much on SouthShore everyblock so I personally feel its pretty early in the gentrification process, maybe that will change in the next 10/20 years.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:39 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier xerxes View Post
Bangers always try to scare off newbies. But thats crazy. Being an urban pioneer is not for the faint of heart, if it was easy everyone would do it. The risks are high but the rewards are higher. Southshore is still risk oblivious in my book. But its at the top of risk oblivious where you can almost call it risk aware. I dont see people actively blogging that much on SouthShore everyblock so I personally feel its pretty early in the gentrification process, maybe that will change in the next 10/20 years.
I'm all for urban renewal and for that to happen on any large scale, it will take middle class people to move into low income areas. The funny thing is that if everyone did it, then even the worst areas would improve quickly, LOL! So long as the people understand what they're getting into, it's a good thing.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
I'm all for urban renewal and for that to happen on any large scale, it will take middle class people to move into low income areas. The funny thing is that if everyone did it, then even the worst areas would improve quickly, LOL! So long as the people understand what they're getting into, it's a good thing.
I agree. Where I moved to in Rogers Park a gang had a chokehold on the corner where our building is. It took many years of picking up trash and calling the cops before the gangs gave up on the corner. Atleast I think they have.....

Old 11-28-2011, 02:35 PM

15 posts, read 32,151 times
Aww, this thread makes me sad. We really, really wanted to end up in the South Shore, but with 4 dogs & baby-making in progress, it just wasn't the best place for us.

It's funny because 1 of the houses we almost bought was purchased shortly after we walked away & it's been broken into a couple of times since the new owners moved in.

We started looking at 6737 S Crandon right before we decided to go with a Rogers Park condo & I still have pangs of regret for that house. Honestly, if it were just my husband & me, I think we would've ended up in the South Shore, but we were so afraid of what would happen to our dogs if anyone ever managed to break into our house. Things can be replaced, but the thought of anything happening to one of our pets was enough to force us to look elsewhere.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanicMoon View Post
Aww, this thread makes me sad. We really, really wanted to end up in the South Shore, but with 4 dogs & baby-making in progress, it just wasn't the best place for us.

It's funny because 1 of the houses we almost bought was purchased shortly after we walked away & it's been broken into a couple of times since the new owners moved in.

We started looking at 6737 S Crandon right before we decided to go with a Rogers Park condo & I still have pangs of regret for that house. Honestly, if it were just my husband & me, I think we would've ended up in the South Shore, but we were so afraid of what would happen to our dogs if anyone ever managed to break into our house. Things can be replaced, but the thought of anything happening to one of our pets was enough to force us to look elsewhere.
You shouldnt feel bad. Personally I think its a perfect neigbhorhood for some young twenty year olds to live in, and maybe with a sidearm. South Shore is a deceiving neigbhorhood, awesome housing stock, awesome lake location, awesome transportation, but the denizens of the area and areas nearby are down right scary. The crime statistics are staggering. That is definitely an area that hasnt reached any sort of tipping point with gentrification, I would say its not necessarily decaying, its holding its own and maybe, maybe slowly moving forward.

I think you would have regretted living in South Shore. I think South Shore would be perfect also for a first wave of gays, which after doing a little internet research is what is going on right now. South Shore will definitely be a cool neigbhorhood in the future.

Risk Oblivious is South Shore and if I was forced to live in a Risk Oblivious neighborhood it might be South Shore.... Still I think maybe Humbodlt Park or East Garfield in some ways would be better, very tough call. Would take me alot of research. I would most likely choose Pilsen though.

"Spontaneous gentrification begins surreptitiously, when a first wave of poor but savvy pioneers discovers the urban allure of a hitherto decrepit area. These are usually students, artists, gays, and other self-marginalized social groups. Such folk have been characterized by sociologists as the “risk-oblivious.” With their creativity and sweat they demonstrate that old lofts and townhouses are habitable, indeed charming. They transform ratty bad-food joints into ratty good-food joints. This first wave produces social more than economic or physical gentrification."
DPZ (http://www.dpz.com/amd_gentrification.htm - broken link)

South Shore does have a black gay bar Club Escape,
1530 east 75th street. The Jeffery Pub, 7041 S Jeffery Blvd.

Look at this link, someone was talking about a gay enclave in south chicago, this link talks about that. Chicago neighborhoods: Does South Chicago have a new gay enclave?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago