Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 07:33 AM

928 posts, read 1,713,441 times

Advertisements

Cool story, bro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 07:58 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago103 View Post
Who counts as a transplant and who doesn't?

I am kind of in a strange grey area myself, I consider myself to be 100% Chicagoan and don't identify with any other place. I am a third generation native born Chicagoan, there is no other place in America where I have family roots. My older family members still live on the southwest side of the city for the most part. However my dad had a job transfer when I was little to downstate Decatur and I spent kindergarten through high school down there. Some would not consider me a true Chicagoan because I did not spend my formative years here, however my family came up to Chicago about a dozen times a year and I spend about half of my summers at my grandma's house on the southwest side as a kid, I feel like I in part grew up in the Garfield Ridge neighborhood even though I never went to school here. My parents moved out of Decatur and back to the Chicago area in 2004 and I have not set foot in Decatur in seven years. People talk about transplants "visiting home for the holidays", well there is literally no home for me anymore outside of Chicago. So I think it is pretty short sighted to give me a life sentence association with a place I feel no family roots and have had no connection with for years simply because I went to grade and high school there. Honestly even people who know me well forget I grew up downstate, they view me as the consummate Chicagoan but with strangers it is a bit awkward when people ask "where are you from originally? where did you go to grade/high school?. I have also lived in Chicago continuously since 1999 when I started as a freshman at UIC, so unlike many transplants I also went to college here. Also every job I have ever had has been in Chicago.

So what do you think, what the heck am I?

I know with many transplants it is much more straight forward, there family lives somewhere else, they grew up somewhere else and went to school somewhere else and Chicago is where they began their professional career. I am just trying to point out there is a middle ground between someone 100% born and raised, lived here your whole life and being a total transplant with no other connection to Chicago besides a job. Regardless of what people say I consider myself a native Chicagoan but I am just curious what others think.
You're a person from Chicago who spent 'x' years in Decatur.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:05 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Who counts as a transplant and who doesn't?

I am kind of in a strange grey area myself, I consider myself to be 100% Chicagoan and don't identify with any other place. I am a third generation native born Chicagoan, there is no other place in America where I have family roots. My older family members still live on the southwest side of the city for the most part. However my dad had a job transfer when I was little to downstate Decatur and I spent kindergarten through high school down there. Some would not consider me a true Chicagoan because I did not spend my formative years here, however my family came up to Chicago about a dozen times a year and I spend about half of my summers at my grandma's house on the southwest side as a kid, I feel like I in part grew up in the Garfield Ridge neighborhood even though I never went to school here. My parents moved out of Decatur and back to the Chicago area in 2004 and I have not set foot in Decatur in seven years. People talk about transplants "visiting home for the holidays", well there is literally no home for me anymore outside of Chicago. So I think it is pretty short sighted to give me a life sentence association with a place I feel no family roots and have had no connection with for years simply because I went to grade and high school there. Honestly even people who know me well forget I grew up downstate, they view me as the consummate Chicagoan but with strangers it is a bit awkward when people ask "where are you from originally? where did you go to grade/high school?. I have also lived in Chicago continuously since 1999 when I started as a freshman at UIC, so unlike many transplants I also went to college here. Also every job I have ever had has been in Chicago.

So what do you think, what the heck am I?

I know with many transplants it is much more straight forward, there family lives somewhere else, they grew up somewhere else and went to school somewhere else and Chicago is where they began their professional career. I am just trying to point out there is a middle ground between someone 100% born and raised, lived here your whole life and being a total transplant with no other connection to Chicago besides a job. Regardless of what people say I consider myself a native Chicagoan but I am just curious what others think.
Literally, you're a native Chicagoan if you were born here. If you identify with our grid that's good enough for me.

btw, I did my student teaching in Decatur- that's no fairy tale suburb, it was pretty hard core blue collar & folks were tough as nails.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:09 AM

124 posts, read 219,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Southern urban areas have some beautiful women. Chicago obviously does too, but they join right in with the hard core sports culture, it decreases their femininity.
Really? I love a girl who I can talk Blackhawks with. If anything, that makes her even hotter.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:30 PM

410 posts, read 491,869 times
@ chicago103: this is the way I see it. By birth you're a Chicago native, but that's by sheer dumb luck and I don't really give a hoot, so big deal. What matters to me if you're familiar with the city, its politics, its grid system, if you know where to eat, what neighborhoods to avoid at night - basically if I can come to you as a tourist or as someone unfamiliar with the city and you're able to navigate your way through the city like it's a second skin, then I could care less if you were a transplant from California or grew up in amongst corn and soybeans. I have known people, born and raised, in the southwest side that never passed Western. Ave, or never explored the west side or even the north side. I have a brother that spent the majority of his life in Chicago but won't venture to 90% of the rest of Chicago. Do I consider him a Chicagoan? Yea, but a sad one at that.

Last edited by TheSunshineKid; 11-17-2011 at 02:51 PM..

Old 11-17-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSunshineKid View Post
@ chicago103: this is the way I see it. By birth you're a Chicago native, but that's by sheer dumb luck and I don't really give a hoot, so big deal. What matters to me if you're familiar with the city, its politics, its grid system, if you know where to eat, what neighborhoods to avoid at night - basically if I can come to you as a tourist or as someone unfamiliar with the city and you're able to navigate your way through the city like it's a second skin, then I could care less if you were a transplant from California or grew up in amongst corn and soybeans. I have known people, born and raised, in the southwest side that never passed Western. Ave, or never explored the west side or even the north side. I have a brother that spent the majority of his life in Chicago but won't venture to 90% of the rest of Chicago. Do I consider him a Chicagoan? Yea, but a sad one at that.
ha! great post.

expanding a bit on the grid thing, I know I've found a serious Chicagoan if I can rattle off 2 numbers as shorthand for an intersection and they know where I'm talking about. so if I tell you I grew up around 2800-1200 but now I live at 3000-3400 and you rattle off the same, in less than 3 seconds we've both got a pretty decent idea of where the other person is coming from on local issues.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:27 PM

422 posts, read 812,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
ha! great post.

expanding a bit on the grid thing, I know I've found a serious Chicagoan if I can rattle off 2 numbers as shorthand for an intersection and they know where I'm talking about. so if I tell you I grew up around 2800-1200 but now I live at 3000-3400 and you rattle off the same, in less than 3 seconds we've both got a pretty decent idea of where the other person is coming from on local issues.
I live near 5500S 7200 W

Assuming the first numbers you gave are N-S then 2800-1200 is near Diversey and Racine and 3000-3400 is Wellington and Kimball.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
I live near 5500S 7200 W

Assuming the first numbers you gave are N-S then 2800-1200 is near Diversey and Racine and 3000-3400 is Wellington and Kimball.
swish!

still learning my west side streets (I'm assuming 5500 is just 55th ), 7200 is Harlem? I'm trying to memorize every street that's a multiple of 8, in some northside neighborhoods I'm good to the 4s.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:16 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSunshineKid View Post
there are some Chicagoans who have only been to the loop maybe 3 times in their lives. I'm talking about full grown adults too

Old 11-18-2011, 08:20 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
there are some Chicagoans who have only been to the loop maybe 3 times in their lives. I'm talking about full grown adults too
It's sometimes contrary to stereotypes, but often the most parochial people are found in the large urban areas, as opposed to small towns. Many small-town residents, if they want to "get anywhere" in life, are forced to make the pilgrammage to the Big City, as opposed to those residents who already reside there, but never expand their horizens...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago