Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 12:43 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,201,566 times

Advertisements

Please don't injure anyone when you decide to crash into a fiery death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 07:37 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,185,102 times
After and 8 hour workday and a 3 hour plus commute, are you really going to be going out drinking all night? Perhaps it would be wiser to live closer to work and commute to the city on weekends.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:46 PM

203 posts, read 386,343 times
A thread I started might be useful to you if you're traveling to Oakbrook Terrace along the Ike. It discusses alternate routes for when the Ike is backed up.

Safety of alternate routes for I-290 in near west suburbs?

Is Oak Park completely out of the question? Many people who want an urban lifestyle but who work in the western suburbs live there as a compromise to avoid spending 2-3 hours per day just to get to work. How much time would it save to live there compared to living in Wicker Park?

Old 10-08-2011, 07:37 PM

46 posts, read 94,699 times
Thanks very much!! I appreciate it.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:38 PM

46 posts, read 94,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
90% of suburbs will bore you to tears.
Where is the 10% that won't?

Old 10-08-2011, 11:00 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,999,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmEverywhere View Post
A thread I started might be useful to you if you're traveling to Oakbrook Terrace along the Ike. It discusses alternate routes for when the Ike is backed up.

Safety of alternate routes for I-290 in near west suburbs?

Is Oak Park completely out of the question? Many people who want an urban lifestyle but who work in the western suburbs live there as a compromise to avoid spending 2-3 hours per day just to get to work. How much time would it save to live there compared to living in Wicker Park?
Oak park would be a much better place to stay. It would save atleast 20-30 mins to wicker park. Napervile would also be a better location that has a simdgen of night life.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:14 PM

203 posts, read 386,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupont
Where is the 10% that won't?
There are a few suburbs just outside the city which are, in practice, more like the city than like the typical suburb. These areas have a fair amount of nightlife, culture and things to do on their own. It's also quick and easy (outside of rush hour) to get from them into Chicago proper if you have a car.

Just west of the city, these areas include Oak Park, Forest Park and Berwyn. Additionally, River Forest, while mostly residential, is similar to and just west of Oak Park. Note that if you're concerned about schools, Oak Park and River Forest are far preferable to the other two towns.

Just north of the city, these areas include Evanston. Evanston additionally has the advantage of having a university which is comparable to the Ivies. Of course, living in Evanston would actually be a much worse commute for you than living in Wicker Park - but it is an answer to your question.

@chirack: Naperville(*) does have a vibrant downtown area with some decent restaurants and a few nightlife venues. Just outside of downtown, there's a pleasant walking path along a river and a liberal arts college. Other than these assets, Naperville is typical suburbia. It's also not convenient to the city. It's about 30 miles from the Loop. And while it's possible to go most of the distance on expressways, some of the expressways in question tend to get congested. Specifically, you have to merge from I-88 onto I-290, which is itself problematic. And then you have to continue east on I-290, which tends to be slow from that junction to roughly the Chicago city limits. The bottom line is that I don't recommend Naperville to someone who is looking for an urban experience or who wants to be able to visit the city of Chicago on a regular basis.

(*) Was the omission of an "L" intentional? (-:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago