Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 04:55 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,105,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
I was mostly shocked that Indianapolis is on the list. And, Indy is bigger than Portland? What wizardry is this?!?
Indianapolis is one of the cities who take the whole county into its population.

So to my understanding all of Marion county Indiana is taken into the population number.

If that was the case in Chicago all of cook county would be taken in as the population of Chicago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 06:08 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,152,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Indianapolis is one of the cities who take the whole county into its population.

So to my understanding all of Marion county Indiana is taken into the population number.

If that was the case in Chicago all of cook county would be taken in as the population of Chicago
Most of Marion county is Indianapolis, not all of it so about 50k Marion County residents are not Indianapolis citizens. A city's boundaries are its boundaries. If Chicago were all of cook county so be it, that's what it would be and it's population would reflect that, nor does it really matter in this case for consolidated cities such as Indianapolis or Nashville. Just taking Indianapolis, Unigov was formed in 1967, 45 years ago, the same with Nashville and Jacksonville all around the same time. 45 years is a bit of a stretch to keep trying to use that as an excuse. The city is landlocked and has been for oh, 45 years but yet the city has still grown after a 10 period of decline between 1970-1980 census. Several consolidated cities, Nashville, Louisville, Lexington, Macon GA, Jax, quasi consolidated Miami-Dade and Denver. Why pick on lowly Indianapolis.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:59 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,273,634 times
It's ironic that the best downtown is in a state Forbes can't even manage to mention.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:08 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,976,309 times
Its not a real list. What about San Francisco, Philly and Boston. Winston Salem and Greensboro are nice small places but pleez!

Old 02-06-2012, 10:33 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,565,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown lover View Post
Best downtowns cores in order

San Francisco
Seattle
Indianapolis
NY
Philly
Boston
Portland
Denver
San Diego
Hmm, your list is suspect. Indy, Denver and San Diego, but no Chicago? Indy and Seattle ahead of NYC, Philly and Boston?

I'm simply going to assume you aren't being serious and take this post in the spirit of jest in which I'm sure it was intended.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:04 PM

104 posts, read 149,852 times
Superbowl XLVI was just here in Indy and it got rave reviews. Originally being from Chicago, I am biased and I think Chicago's downtown is the best. But because of Indianapolis's performance as host of the big game - Chicago may benefit. I's like to think of Indy as Chicago's other little cousin along with Milwaukee.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:52 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,565,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGERMAN View Post
Superbowl XLVI was just here in Indy and it got rave reviews.
The Super Bowl was in Jacksonville, too. I don't see what that has to do with a city's downtown being "good." Indy is what it is: a mid-sized city with an appropriately mid-sized downtown. It's fine for what it is, but I cannot for the life of me come up with any meaningful measure by which it places among the ten best downtowns in the country. Unless, of course, "peace and quiet" is something you look for in a downtown.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Most of Marion county is Indianapolis, not all of it so about 50k Marion County residents are not Indianapolis citizens. A city's boundaries are its boundaries. If Chicago were all of cook county so be it, that's what it would be and it's population would reflect that, nor does it really matter in this case for consolidated cities such as Indianapolis or Nashville. Just taking Indianapolis, Unigov was formed in 1967, 45 years ago, the same with Nashville and Jacksonville all around the same time. 45 years is a bit of a stretch to keep trying to use that as an excuse. The city is landlocked and has been for oh, 45 years but yet the city has still grown after a 10 period of decline between 1970-1980 census. Several consolidated cities, Nashville, Louisville, Lexington, Macon GA, Jax, quasi consolidated Miami-Dade and Denver. Why pick on lowly Indianapolis.
Not picking on Indianapolis. A previous poster had made a comment about Portland vs. Indianapolis.

I only made a factual statement about the size of Indianapolis.

In this case the footprint would be smaller than the size of lets say a city that did not have a uni-gov.

The cities population is spread out over a larger area vs. compact tighter area.

So no, I was not belittling Indianapollis one bit.
Pretty familiar with the uni govs but you did give some nice examples.
All middle to small sized cities that used this type of system 45 years ago.
Maybe some more should join the pack.

Last edited by sunnyandcloudydays; 02-07-2012 at 04:19 AM..

Old 02-07-2012, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
It's ironic that the best downtown is in a state Forbes can't even manage to mention.

Ha,
Comes as no surprise......

Old 02-09-2012, 04:05 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,414,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
The Super Bowl was in Jacksonville, too. I don't see what that has to do with a city's downtown being "good." Indy is what it is: a mid-sized city with an appropriately mid-sized downtown. It's fine for what it is, but I cannot for the life of me come up with any meaningful measure by which it places among the ten best downtowns in the country. Unless, of course, "peace and quiet" is something you look for in a downtown.
I think what you're not getting is that the raves came from the fact that people were pleasantly surprised by the amenities within that downtown. Indy is a mid-sized city w/ few interesting peripheral neighborhoods, which makes downtown more of an entertainment focus for it than larger cities like Cleveland, St. Louis, etc.

A couple hundred restaurants and about 100 bars squeezed into the 2/3 of a mile isn't bad. But yeah, it's not going to be in the realm of the largest US cities when it comes to a downtown experience. It just happens to be one of the best downtowns for cities in that 1 million to 3 million metro spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago