Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 07:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,459 times

Advertisements

Coming to Chicago area..staying in Skokie at Comfort Inn but going to see a play at the Apollo downtown. What line do we get on to get downtown and preferably with no transfers. LOL right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 08:21 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,998,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsha Smith View Post
Coming to Chicago area..staying in Skokie at Comfort Inn but going to see a play at the Apollo downtown. What line do we get on to get downtown and preferably with no transfers. LOL right?
CTA website:

Deprecated Browser Error

You probably are going to have to transfer to get there. I don't think the Apollo is located in downtown(I think it is in Lincoln park). Downtown Chicago refers to a certain part of the city rather than the whole thing.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:07 PM

185 posts, read 594,874 times
Getting there without transferring is not possible.

Getting to the Apollo Theater is not too difficult.
Right outside your hotel on Skokie Blvd, board the 97 Skokie bus southbound. Ride about one mile to the Skokie Swift (CTA Yellow line) terminal on Dempster Street. Transfer to a train there and ride all the way to the end of the line, which is Howard Street. On the same platform (you don't have to pay again, you just walk across the platform) board a Red Line train south to Fullerton. Get off at Fullerton, walk a block west to Lincoln and two blocks north to the theater.

Getting back to the hotel is going to be a bit more complicated. The last Yellow Line train leaves Howard Street at 11:00 pm. (They've cut back recently, it used to be midnight.) I am guessing you are not going to make it.
But even if your evening ends early enough to make it, the last northbound 97 bus leave the Skokie Swift terminal at 11:00 on weekdays and 8:00 on weekends. (It's only a mile walk or you can get a taxi.)

If you can't get the last Yellow Line train, for the return trip take take the Red Line from Fullerton to Howard, then at Howard (again on the same platform) transfer to a Purple Line (Evanston) train and take that train north to Davis Street. (Last Purple Line train leaves at 1:20 am most days, 2:15 am Friday night, and 1:55 am Saturday night.)

At the Davis Street station, board Pace bus 250 (Dempster) (last bus 12:20 am every night) and ride to Dempster and Skokie Blvd. Then walk north to your hotel. If you don't want to walk that last segment or if you miss the last bus, get a taxi at the Davis Street station. (It is unlikely you will happen to be able to flag down a taxi on a random street corner in Skokie after midnight.)

Old 11-01-2011, 10:17 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
You will need to transfer, but it isn't hard. You can take a 97 bus to the Yellow Line, but I would suggest driving and parking at the station. Get to the Skokie Yellow Line and transfer at Howard to the Red Line. Get off at Fullerton and Walk over to the Theater at 2540 Lincoln Avenue. The time involved may be around 45 minutes to an hour including the walk to the Theater which is a little under 1/2 mile from the red line stop.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:51 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
If you're staying in Skokie, I presume you'll have a car. I'd just drive into town and park near an outer Brown or Red Line stop, using one of the Park and Ride lots if necessary -- they're only 4 bucks.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:36 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Why are you staying in Skokie?

Old 11-06-2011, 04:01 AM

4 posts, read 4,984 times
Default Visit to chicago,please help!

Hello everybody! I'm from Greece and I would like some help from you concerning the Chicago winter.
I will be in Chicago (Evanston) from December 14 to January 8.I have been told that it will be very cold,that the temperature will be from -10 to -20 celcius.(14 to -4 fahrenheit).Is it true?
I am thinking also to buy a suitable winter jacket to cope up with such low temperatures since in Greece rarely drops down to 32 fahrenheit...I am thinking to buy something like this The North Face*Women's*Jackets & Vests*WOMEN'S MOUNTAIN LIGHT TRICLIMATE® JACKET from thenorthface.Is it ok ? Too warm? Not so warm? I would be thrilled if you help me people! And now a more girlie-like question: I am 21 going to visit my boyfriend who studies/works here.So I would like to be elegant.My worry is that these jackets cannot be worn with a dress or heels.So is it ok? I mean what Chicago girls wear? (To be clear I'm not a bimbo!I prefer to wear the bear-like jacket looking ridicullus but warm than the oposite! I'm just asking if there is something I have not seen) In other words is the triclimate jacket my only option to be warm?
And is it true that this winter is going to be extra cold?

Old 11-07-2011, 12:01 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,062,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek Girl View Post
Hello everybody! I'm from Greece and I would like some help from you concerning the Chicago winter.
I will be in Chicago (Evanston) from December 14 to January 8.I have been told that it will be very cold,that the temperature will be from -10 to -20 celcius.(14 to -4 fahrenheit).Is it true?
I am thinking also to buy a suitable winter jacket to cope up with such low temperatures since in Greece rarely drops down to 32 fahrenheit...I am thinking to buy something like this The North Face*Women's*Jackets & Vests*WOMEN'S MOUNTAIN LIGHT TRICLIMATE® JACKET from thenorthface.Is it ok ? Too warm? Not so warm? I would be thrilled if you help me people! And now a more girlie-like question: I am 21 going to visit my boyfriend who studies/works here.So I would like to be elegant.My worry is that these jackets cannot be worn with a dress or heels.So is it ok? I mean what Chicago girls wear? (To be clear I'm not a bimbo!I prefer to wear the bear-like jacket looking ridicullus but warm than the oposite! I'm just asking if there is something I have not seen) In other words is the triclimate jacket my only option to be warm?
Allegedly this winter will be very cold. It very will might get down to -4F or so, but that generally isn't the norm.

If you are worried about function vs fashion I would just try to find a nice warm wool coat, a long one that is. If you are walking around outside for a long time then maybe wear a North Face.

Either way you're going to be cold. Try to take cabs when you're wearing a dress and going out to dinner etc.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:25 PM

4 posts, read 4,984 times
Thanks a lot!

Old 11-10-2011, 10:41 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek Girl View Post
I lived in Chicago (and the surronding area.from 1932 until 1965,,,,,,,and experienced a vaiety of winter weather patterns. ...Why not wait until you arrive in Chgo and then tell your boy friend to have him take you to some "nice" Ladies Outerwear stores (right off the plane) for coat & winter jackets that you could choose from and be served by getingna couple og garments as a stand-alone coat or jacket and one or
two companion pieces of outerwaer that will allow you to "LAYER" them and still look stylish if the weaher turns really bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago