Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 10:13 PM

6 posts, read 8,854 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]I am overwhelmed with all the neighborhoods/suburbs in and around Chicago. Husband and I are nearing middle age and relocating to the Chicago area. The husband will be traveling a lot so it is a must that I feel safe and content getting around on my own. I have never lived in a big city but I have lived in Grand Forks, ND (should give idea what I mean by safe and content) loved the area in the summer, the people are not into more than pleasantries if you are not born and breed there. I am hoping to rent where I can walk when it is nice and drive when it is too cold, easy for him to get to O’Hare. We are not into bars but plenty of restaurants would be nice. I wish I could afford to have a view of Lake Michigan but not willing to pay out the nose for it. Are their differences living in a high rise vs. smaller apartment/condo building? I have never even been in a high-rise! We are hockey fans and love our Redwings, but plan on catching some games and supporting our favorite sport. I guess I am looking for a reasonably priced decent area![/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 04:02 AM

124 posts, read 219,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milaaady View Post
We are hockey fans and love our Redwings
Red Wings fans? Sorry, no more room here for you.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:24 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
Budget?

There are many nice safe parts of Chicago and the surrounding suburbs that could work for you but prices range from "a lot" to "OMG".

How much are you willing to spend?

Old 11-24-2011, 08:01 AM

6 posts, read 37,401 times
If you want to be near O'Hare within city limits, look for place within the 60656 & 60631 zip codes.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:05 AM

1,325 posts, read 4,198,887 times
You are correct that we have so many urban neighborhoods and then all the suburbs. If you are looking for something comparable to Grand Forks, you may want to consider a suburb (and there is a separate forum on this site for the Chicago burbs).
Here in the city, we have nice neighborhoods such as East Lakeview and Lincoln Park which both are close to Lake Michigan and the park which runs alongside the lake. These neighborhoods have great restaurants, shops, coffeehouses, etc. You didn't mention your price range.
We also have "progressive" suburbs such as Evanston and Oak Park (which some people almost consider part of the city as they are more liberal and just seem more urban than most burbs).
Good luck to you. You have so many choices.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:30 PM

We are willing to support our favorite sport even if we give our money to the Blackhawks! We love hockey and are originally from Michigan on the shore of Lake Michigan. I am looking at a budget of about 1300 to 1700 I could stretch that if i truly love a place. I am not too sure what my budget should be. We have discovered that we can pretty much be anywhere along any the north bound metra trains. I perfer 2 bedroom, 2 baths, garage, patio/balcony, washer/dryer(or Hook ups), That's not much right? Opps forgot to mention that central air and heat (NO HEAT PUMPS) that I control are a must!

Last edited by milaaady; 11-24-2011 at 09:43 PM..

Old 11-25-2011, 07:08 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
You budget is going to make certain items VERY hard to find, things like a garage at your price point are VERY rare...

Old 11-25-2011, 08:32 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,945,525 times
One place I could suggest is Park Ridge. Near the city and near O Hare. Also Wooddale. Near O Hare. In fact my mom lives in the 190 Wooddale road building and there are nice condos renting there in that price range and garage parking comes with. Many people are now desperate to rent their condos out and associations are allowing it so they can continue getting HOA payments so you can get a good deal. This is a ten story building with a pool. Very nice.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:58 AM

[SIZE=3]Okay, if we move the price point 1700 to 2000 will that help get everything I want? Should I move this over to the burbs forum? I am not against to living in the city, I will try it, and I just need an area where I will feel safe. Are there other monthly fees I should be aware of in the area? Once I learn my way around I am sure I will venture out and explore the city and all it has to offer. I know I have mentioned I lived in North Dakota, I have lived in a variety of places, a small southern town (didn’t like that); I have lived on the outskirts of Dallas TX (so far my favorite) Nashville TN and Baltimore MD. My husband has already said I am not allowed to venture far until he is sure I understand how to navigate on my own! I have GPS it takes me in circles sometimes but gets me where I am going! The husband is willing to have longer commutes as long as I am safe and he doesn’t have to worry about me when he is traveling. He will not commute every day so that is good. I would prefer a short commute just because I am selfish like that; the longer the commute is it just takes away from my time with him![/SIZE]

Old 11-25-2011, 05:31 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,496,683 times
Situate yourself in a neighborhood adjacent to the Kennedy Expressway. They are numerous. You can then either drive to/from O'Hare or take the Blue Line rapid transit train. I find Chicago to be a very friendly city, one built of "neighborhoods." It's big. Yes. But it can seem small, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago