Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 11:10 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times

Advertisements

Dec. 1, 2007 was when Columbia MO got 17 inches of snow -- a 24-hour record, that is until last winter when they got 20 and they had to close the University for an unheard of 3 days. The point being, you never can know, but just hope for the best and be prepared for the possibility of delay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 04:20 AM

3,454 posts, read 3,378,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by il_blguy87 View Post
You could also take 80 all the way down to i-39 north and from there take i-90. But you will probably end up driving more since you will go in circle.
If I were the OP, I'd just go with the 80 to 355 to 90 route, and time it to avoid peak travel times(though the traffic won't be as bad as Kennedy or Dan Ryan obviously). Taking I-80 to I-39, if you were trying to get to Madison, would just put you well out of your way. I-39 is better to use, if say you were starting in Rockford or Wisconsin, and trying to get south to say Bloomington-Normal, Springfield, Saint Louis, etc., or vice versa.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:20 AM

20 posts, read 68,677 times
I am overwhelmed here - fantastic help! I couldn't remember where I posted this & it wasn't until today that a msg showed up in my inbox saying I had responses, otherwise I would have replied earlier.
Looks like we'll be going very late Jan. - to Seattle, sorry I left that out. Looks like one key is to avoid the Chicago area during rush hour - makes sense & we'll try to do that. And we're waffling on the more n. or s. route, but I think we can look at 5 day weather predictions when we get closer to the date plus utilize the state DOT sites to make the decision about 80 vs. 90.
Pisgah, I appreciate your point, and btw, are you in NC?
Thank you all again - the links are great.
Any ideas on how to sneak a cat into a hotel along the way? It seems there aren't many that accept pets, and when they do, you may pay extra. It's just a cat! Or does anyone have helpful traveling tips to avoid the equation, car + cat = trouble? I'm sure we'll be begging the vet for tranquilizers.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:16 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,990,757 times
Try taking the cat for some longer car rides before you try to drive cross country.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:13 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacchiato View Post
I am overwhelmed here - fantastic help! I couldn't remember where I posted this & it wasn't until today that a msg showed up in my inbox saying I had responses, otherwise I would have replied earlier.
Looks like we'll be going very late Jan. - to Seattle, sorry I left that out. Looks like one key is to avoid the Chicago area during rush hour - makes sense & we'll try to do that. And we're waffling on the more n. or s. route, but I think we can look at 5 day weather predictions when we get closer to the date plus utilize the state DOT sites to make the decision about 80 vs. 90.
Pisgah, I appreciate your point, and btw, are you in NC?
Thank you all again - the links are great.
Any ideas on how to sneak a cat into a hotel along the way? It seems there aren't many that accept pets, and when they do, you may pay extra. It's just a cat! Or does anyone have helpful traveling tips to avoid the equation, car + cat = trouble? I'm sure we'll be begging the vet for tranquilizers.
I think cat urine is far stronger and the odor harder to remove than dog urine. And male cats have a tendency to mark, even indoors. You could find stops that correspond to pet hotels or places to board the cat over night. I know that's not optimal and I too would worry about stressing the cat out even more by doing this. But if it's your only option....

Old 12-15-2011, 03:03 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,414,027 times
I'm late to this. If you're set on going through Madison across the northern plains to Seattle, then I agree that 294 around the city is the way to go. That said, if I were you I'd keep an alternate route in the back of your mind if the weather breaks bad up there:

Take 70 to Indy and make a break NW from either there or further west depending upon what the weather is like in the Northern Plains. This would keep you away from the snow belt in north central PA, and away from any lake effect stuff you might pick up around Lake Erie or NW Indiana...not to mention nasty stuff in part of the Dakotas and MN.

There aren't any guarantees it won't be bad going more southerly through Nebraska, but you'll know one way or the other a few days before your trip. It might tack on 8 hours if both routes were clear, but I'd take an extra 8 hrs over having to stay in a HS gym on a cot for 2 days while the roads were closed. I've done that by myself and it wasn't fun. Couldn't imagine what it would be like w/ a cat.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:25 PM

We're re-thinking the whole thing now - between unpredictable weather, a cat who hates the car, & the cost of gas and lodging for 6 or more days, shipping our cars is looking like it may work better.
Does anyone happen to have any experience with auto shipping? Maybe I need to start a new thread?

Old 12-19-2011, 04:33 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Are you planning a trip back to NYC in the next few months? Here's why I ask. See if someone can watch the cat for a while. Drive the cars out and when the weather is warmer fly back and bring the cat back with you. Do they allow pets in the passenger compartment? If not check and see if they fly pets year round or only during warmer weather in the cargo hold.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:14 PM

We do not have plans to return, and I don't think the plane trip would be THAT difficult - they do allow cats in a carrier, the pet becomes like your carry-on. Luckily he's hoarse so no one would hear him if he cries, but he pees sometimes when he travels...oh boy! We could even purchase a seat for him if we had to, because one way JetBlue fares aren't too bad for NY/Seattle. I see they make special absorbent pads for cat carriers...So it looks like we'll fly out with him and send the cars. thanks again -

Old 12-19-2011, 08:55 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,414,027 times
Seems like a much more hassle free way to go. If I were you and doing this in the summer, I'd go for it. Jan-Feb just seems like a major pain though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago