Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 12:14 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,167,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooholla View Post
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone's got some recommendations on a weekend getaway not too far from Chicago. My boyfriend and I aren't going to be able to get home to our families (in Pennsylvania) for the holidays, so we're looking to take a mini vacation somewhere around here and we've only been living in the city for about eight months, so we're not too familiar with our options.

I think our driving limit would be around 4hrs, because we've only got a 3 1/2 day window to work with so I don't want to waste an entire day driving. I'd love to go somewhere on the lake, but I'm not opposed to somewhere that's not. It doesn't have to be super romantic, but hopefully not too touristy. We like seclusion and the woods and quaint little towns.

I should note that we'll be doing this trip the 27th through the 29th and not on Christmas.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Try underrated Milwaukee, Wisconsin!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 01:29 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Try underrated Milwaukee, Wisconsin!
Well, I don't think Milwaukee fulfills what the OP said they were looking for:

"We like seclusion and the woods and quaint little towns."

Old 12-09-2011, 01:49 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
well, i don't think milwaukee fulfills what the op said they were looking for:

"we like seclusion and the woods and quaint little towns."
lol

Old 12-09-2011, 02:57 PM

3 posts, read 5,137 times
Default Weekend Getaway From Chicago

Might I be so bold as to recommend that you consider wonderfully quaint Lemont, IL? It is about 27 miles SW of the city, and just a gem. It is tied into the historic I & M canal, and there are a number of neat things to see/visit, including the amazing Hindu Temple. It was also a location for scenes from the movie, Save the Last Dance.

Just a thought!

Old 12-10-2011, 08:47 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times
SW Michigan is best enjoyed in the summertime.
Most things I have experienced there have always been by the water.

Standing near Lake Michigan in Mid December can be brutally cold.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:41 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
The Amana Colonies are kind of cool, it's outside Cedar Rapids Iowa, Mt Vernon, and Iowa City are also some other cool cities around that area.
The heart of Hawkeye country. The Amanas are nice......terrific, home style food and wonderful crafts. Iowa City is a gem of a college town and the UIowa campus is a special place if you like university campuses. Both town and gown are drawn together and intertwine in a place of charm where sightlines open up on both sides of the Iowa River that runs through both of them.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:45 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
Many people wisely mentioned Madison here, Madison being the what's-not-to-like type of place that it is. Scenic Madison, crowded on that isthmus with the capitol and UW, gives a feel of a city many times its size.

But unlike years in the past, a winter visit to Madison should I think (almost by necessity) include a visit to the Dells.

the once summer haven is now not only year round, but with the endless water parks, winter is one of the busiest times of the year.

Wonderful resorts abound and plenty of water in those water park, some on massive scale. You'll definitely bring the outdoors inside in a positive way, as well as having the real winter activities outside available to to you.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:46 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
I don't know if it fits the "quaint" criterion, but you might also look into Lake Geneva, WI; the southern part of Kettle Moraine State Forest South isn't far away for the woods part.

The other areas I'd suggest looking at though they might be a bit far for a weekend getaway are Door County WI, and the Sleeping Bear Dunes area on the west side of the southern peninsula of MI. Leland, just north of the Dunes area, perfectly fits your description.

http://www.lelandmi.com/

Old 12-10-2011, 01:27 PM

376 posts, read 489,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
I don't know if it fits the "quaint" criterion, but you might also look into Lake Geneva, WI; the southern part of Kettle Moraine State Forest South isn't far away for the woods part.

The other areas I'd suggest looking at though they might be a bit far for a weekend getaway are Door County WI, and the Sleeping Bear Dunes area on the west side of the southern peninsula of MI. Leland, just north of the Dunes area, perfectly fits your description.

Leland Michigan Chamber of Commerce :: Fishtown, Lake Michigan & Sleeping Bear Dunes

Leland is nice, as is the whole Leland peninsula (and also the Old Mission peninsula) , but pretty far for a weekend trip. I'd say Baroda or St. Joseph for quaint towns close by.. and maybe the area just north of New Buffalo near Bridgman on the Red Arrow highway would fit. Door County is borderline in distance; not quite as far as the Traverse City area.. I particularly recommend Ellison Bay in the winter.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:33 PM

4 posts, read 7,950 times
Rockford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago