Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 12:30 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,121,699 times

Advertisements

Do they overlook brown/darkskin Black women in Chicago?

I really want to move to another city that has better career opportunities and dating prospects. I know very little about the black community in Chicago, so I want to know if the black men are colorstruck--meaning that they often overlook brown/darkskin women for lighter and non-Black women? Also, is there a lot of attractive women to compete with here? I want to live in a city where I don't have to constantly worry if my s/o is going to leave me for someone who is hotter right around the block.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:34 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,923,553 times
Many black men seem to prefer white or light-skinned women and the feeling is obviously mutual. This does not just take place in Chicago.

If you are the type of girl who is constantly worried that your SO will leave you for someone "hotter," he probably will. We do not run a psychotherapy service here. (Sorry for the negativity; this is just my frank opinion.)

Old 12-29-2011, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Many black men seem to prefer white or light-skinned women and the feeling is obviously mutual. This does not just take place in Chicago.

If you are the type of girl who is constantly worried that your SO will leave you for someone "hotter," he probably will. We do not run a psychotherapy service here. (Sorry for the negativity; this is just my frank opinion.)
Well, it tends to be more common in certain areas (black men choosing white or lightskinned women). I want to know if I will be completely overlooked in Chicago if so than I will consider somewhere else

Old 12-29-2011, 06:16 AM

121 posts, read 216,847 times
I am going to assume you're college educated. If you are, and if you are looking for college-educated black men to date then I would say you're at a disadvantage because they're more likely to date outside their race...or look for "racially ambiguous" black woman. Working class Chicago black men? Probably not as much, but that might not be your type.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRise View Post
I am going to assume you're college educated. If you are, and if you are looking for college-educated black men to date then I would say you're at a disadvantage because they're more likely to date outside their race...or look for "racially ambiguous" black woman. Working class Chicago black men? Probably not as much, but that might not be your type.
Working class is fine--I can deal with that. but are there that many racially ambiguous looking black women around for college educated black men to choose from? It's sad that they are overlooking attractive women like me who look Black. I might as well stay where I am and not make the move

Old 12-29-2011, 08:16 AM

117 posts, read 128,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
Working class is fine--I can deal with that. but are there that many racially ambiguous looking black women around for college educated black men to choose from? It's sad that they are overlooking attractive women like me who look Black. I might as well stay where I am and not make the move
If I saw a pic of you I could really give you a more honest answer. I'll say this: Many African Americans in Chicago are from the south (Miss, Tenn, Alabama), and in the south skin tone matters. Although the generation that's mostly from the south are African Americans in their 60s and 70s, the mentality has carried on from one generation to the next. Many exceptionally attractive African Americans that come from upper class backgrounds tend to lean towards Caucasians or other African Americans that are in their league. Many dark skin African American men would prefer a African American woman that has lighter skin. To answer your question: I would say many are.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:30 AM

edit

Old 12-29-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bourgeois View Post
If I saw a pic of you I could really give you a more honest answer. I'll say this: Many African Americans in Chicago are from the south (Miss, Tenn, Alabama), and in the south skin tone matters. Although the generation that's mostly from the south are African Americans in their 60s and 70s, the mentality has carried on from one generation to the next. Many exceptionally attractive African Americans that come from upper class backgrounds tend to lean towards Caucasians or other African Americans that are in their league. Many dark skin African American men would prefer a African American woman that has lighter skin. To answer your question: I would say many are.
Don't have any photos of me loaded on my computer but this is similar to what I look like in skin tone, body type and style.

Would she be passed up by educated black men too out there?

Old 12-29-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
In my experience no. Because of Chicago's blue collar roots, I'd say the black people here are more "regular" than in other large cities. I agree with Mr. Bourgeois's southern assessment, but I don't agree with his color assessment. If a woman's standards aren't too high (and by this I mean education-wise) then I don't think you'll have a problem finding a black man. If a guy who's a little rough around the edges makes you uncomfortable, you will. I personally do not have any problems meeting guys in clubs or even on the street. If you are attractive at all guys will hit on you. You don't have to look like a model in Chicago. Being colorstruck is a thread that is woven into our culture but I don't think it's any more profound in Chicago. Given that a lot of native black women in Chicago are "around the way" types, I think women who come here have a better chance at finding a guy. He just might not be impressive to your friends.

I wouldn't move any place specifically looking to date, though. You will inevitably be disappointed. The yuppy black guys will be the ones who fit your description. Chicago is a great, affordable city. I think you should try it for a year.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Would she be passed up by educated black men too out there?
IMO no, because she looks cultured and model-esque. The around-the-way girls would have a problem with the educated black man. Of that group, I'd say yes...lighter women would probably get a pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago