Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 08:42 AM

117 posts, read 128,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
Don't have any photos of me loaded on my computer but this is similar to what I look like in skin tone, body type and style.

Would she be passed up by educated black men too out there?
link not working

Honestly, I couldn't tell you specifically which African American will do this or not. I am giving you a generalization. Some will, some will not. However, there will be a large number that will.

Sometimes, your attractiveness, style, profession and bank account will trump anything. In Chicago looks matter among the haves and the have nots. In my opinion the African American community had better looking African Americans back in the 70s and 80s. According to my taste, Chicago is not a city that's full of attrictive African Americans. Some are, but most are not.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:44 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,120,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRise View Post
IMO no, because she looks cultured and model-esque. The around-the-way girls would have a problem with the educated black man. Of that group, I'd say yes...lighter women would probably get a pass.
Okay, that's good to know. I think it would be better to say that educated men are not looking for 'round the way girls' of any skin tone than just specifically saying darkskin women are excluded as a whole.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRise View Post
In my experience no. Because of Chicago's blue collar roots, I'd say the black people here are more "regular" than in other large cities. I agree with Mr. Bourgeois's southern assessment, but I don't agree with his color assessment. If a woman's standards aren't too high (and by this I mean education-wise) then I don't think you'll have a problem finding a black man. If a guy who's a little rough around the edges makes you uncomfortable, you will. I personally do not have any problems meeting guys in clubs or even on the street. If you are attractive at all guys will hit on you. You don't have to look like a model in Chicago. Being colorstruck is a thread that is woven into our culture but I don't think it's any more profound in Chicago. Given that a lot of native black women in Chicago are "around the way" types, I think women who come here have a better chance at finding a guy. He just might not be impressive to your friends.

I wouldn't move any place specifically looking to date, though. You will inevitably be disappointed. The yuppy black guys will be the ones who fit your description. Chicago is a great, affordable city. I think you should try it for a year.
thank you. That's good to hear.

Quote:
I wouldn't move any place specifically looking to date, though. You will inevitably be disappointed. The yuppy black guys will be the ones who fit your description.
What are yuppy black guys? lol

Old 12-29-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bourgeois View Post
link not working

Honestly, I couldn't tell you specifically which African American will do this or not. I am giving you a generalization. Some will, some will not. However, there will be a large number that will.

Sometimes, your attractiveness, style, profession and bank account will trump anything. In Chicago looks matter among the haves and the have nots. In my opinion the African American community had better looking African Americans back in the 70s and 80s. According to my taste, Chicago is not a city that's full of attrictive African Americans. Some are, but most are not.
Well, that means less competition for me in terms of men. I am not interested in living in a city where there are so many other more beautiful women competing for some of the same men. Also, in cities where there are a lot of attractive women, the standards become higher and men tend to be fickle and dont want to settle down

Old 12-29-2011, 08:48 AM

121 posts, read 216,709 times
Quote:
link not working

Compared to cities like New York, Atlanta, LA and Miami I would agree, but only because people's perceptions are now influenced by the media. Those cities attract the glamorous types because of the industries. Atlanta is where black hollywood is, NYC is the media and modeling hub, LA is Hollywood and Miami is home to many "exotic" looking women. Chicago cannot compete with that. As great of a city as Chicago is, I'll bet it doesn't make the top 5 list for most transplants. Location doesn't help. Chicago is slowly turning into every other yuppy city in America so I wouldn't be surprised if this image changed.

Chicago is not home to unattractive people. It's home to down-to-earth, honest people...like most of America outside of the popular cities.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:52 AM

121 posts, read 216,709 times
Quote:
thank you. That's good to hear.

What are yuppy black guys? lol
You're welcome. This is hard to explain lol. In my opinion, it's the college-educated, professional, social-climbing guy. The one who cares about status more than anything else.

Note: I have nothing against college-educated black men in general. I am college-educated, but they have an advantage because a) they're men and b) they have "credentials" and they know it, so they tend to be pickier about who they'll date.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Don't have any photos of me loaded on my computer but this is similar to what I look like in skin tone, body type and style.

Would she be passed up by educated black men too out there?
ok, she's pretty, attractive and she looks confident. she's polished.

Depending on her life style I think any man would say that she stands a good chance of attracting a man.

My mother is a dark skin African American woman and my father was of lighter skin. Honestly, he was the catch (in terms of looks, ambition, and education) and it was her looks that attracted him. She had long (real) hair and darker skin.

Do you men with features that are more full? Do you like men that are of mixed heritage?

Old 12-29-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
ok, she's pretty, attractive and she looks confident. she's polished.

Depending on her life style I think any man would say that she stands a good chance of attracting a man.

My mother is a dark skin African American woman and my father was of lighter skin. Honestly, he was the catch (in terms of looks, ambition, and education) and it was her looks that attracted him. She had long (real) hair and darker skin.

Do you men with features that are more full? Do you like men that are of mixed heritage?
I am not concerned about specific features, just as long as the man is tall and attractive with charisma.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Well, that means less competition for me in terms of men. I am not interested in living in a city where there are so many other more beautiful women competing for some of the same men. Also, in cities where there are a lot of attractive women, the standards become higher and men tend to be fickle and dont want to settle down
That's a very good observation on your part and I agree. You're smart.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:04 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
I am not concerned about specific features, just as long as the man is tall and attractive with charisma.
Well, there ya go. You should think of some men's preference for light skin or long hair the same way you think of many women's preference for height. I say "some" for men and "many" for women because men are not as fixated on skin color as women are on height, in my experience. While the ideal partner for some black men would have lighter skin, there aren't enough attractive black women out there for most men to be that discriminatory. Sure, Reggie Bush could refuse to ever date a dark-skinned woman because he has his choice of the Kim Kardashians. But most guys are not Reggie Bush. They're not going to turn down Sanaa Lathan in hopes that Paula Paula will show up. Similarly, most women are not in a position to turn down a charismatic guy with a good income because he's only 5'10 (though I think women are more unrealistic than men and will more often strike an otherwise attractive suitor from the list for not meeting certain "standards").

This is what I mean when I say that women are more unrealistic than men:

Quote:
I thought she was attractive. She has long hair, which I like. We tried to figure out how we got set up, so I asked her about her [religious] denomination.
Quote:
When I got there, he was already there. He stood up and gave me a hug. I thought he was attractive, but not my type. I’m more attracted to taller, more muscular guys.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifest...thH_story.html

Last edited by BajanYankee; 12-29-2011 at 09:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago