Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 02:37 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Yep and you get the priveledge of a much higher COL for that in CA.
Yeah, I am well aware. In reality, I don't think I would ever move to CA. I like the climate, but there's not much else I like enough about it to make me move. I want to move AWAY from corruption if I'm going to bother with leaving Chicago. I have been here my entire life (travel aside, of course).

Chicago has a lot going for it, in particular for me is that there seems to be an endless supply of jobs in my field. I would probably like Chicago much more if I stopped watching the news and reading the newspaper so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 04:57 PM

590 posts, read 1,012,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartGXL View Post
I have only lived here 15 years, and I am considering leaving, but I am having a hard time making my mind up to do so! I have an option on the table to relocate to Dallas, and the opportunity to go there seems like a total slam dunk on paper. But Chicago has a certain cache to it that is hard to leave behind.
The money better be very good to leave Chicago for Dallas...

Old 03-01-2012, 05:17 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,210,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
I was lucky enough to have gone through my wanderlust phase before I got to Chicago. This probably gave me a better idea of just how good life was there when I got to the city.
Definitely. I lived in a lot places growing up, primarily Boston and London, and tried out SF, DC, and NYC in my twenties. I moved to Chicago half expecting to stay for a year or so and then try somewhere new, but everything just clicked and worked well for me here. That was almost 20 years ago, and while I'm open to the idea of moving there aren't many places I'd consider.

In the time I've been here I've had two hard sells (with job offers) to move to Indy, and another one to move to Lexington KY. Ultimately I just couldn't imagine being happy in either place (and I know both places pretty well. I've also considered moves to London or NYC for jobs, but the pay vs. cost of living increase just didn't make sense to me.

I'm pretty much in Chicago (happily) for the rest of my life. Winters in Argentina could be nice if I get too old to deal with winters here.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:06 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
I see no need to leave Chicago. The only other cities I would ever consider in the US or so expensive, it would never be worth it. I would move to Europe for the right opportunity, though in my line of work, that won't happen.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:58 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,391,408 times
Quote:
The only other cities I would ever consider in the US or so expensive.
This pretty much sums everything up for me, and why I am leaning on moving back home to Chicago. Despite all of its world class offerings, Chicago has managed to be downright cheap! In no other US city that I would consider living (NYC, LA, Boston, DC, SF, Seattle, Philly), with the exception of maybe Philly, can one buy a nice 2 bed 2 bath condo in the best neighborhoods for <$500K.

I always wonder why the market has set the real estate in Chicago so low relatively speaking. Is it the Midwest location? I have never really been able to figure that one out.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
This pretty much sums everything up for me, and why I am leaning on moving back home to Chicago. Despite all of its world class offerings, Chicago has managed to be downright cheap! In no other US city that I would consider living (NYC, LA, Boston, DC, SF, Seattle, Philly), with the exception of maybe Philly, can one buy a nice 2 bed 2 bath condo in the best neighborhoods for <$500K.

I always wonder why the market has set the real estate in Chicago so low relatively speaking. Is it the Midwest location? I have never really been able to figure that one out.
Probably a mix of being midwest and economics of demand. Where do you live now?

Old 03-02-2012, 09:29 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,391,408 times
Quote:
Probably a mix of being midwest and economics of demand. Where do you live now?
I've been in DC for the past 3 years; I make it home quite often as all my family is in Chicago, and I still own a 3 flat in Lakeview. I am looking for a change from DC, as I don't see myself living here long-term, What I can get for my money in Chicago compared to other cities is insane.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:57 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
Yeah, I am well aware. In reality, I don't think I would ever move to CA. I like the climate, but there's not much else I like enough about it to make me move. I want to move AWAY from corruption if I'm going to bother with leaving Chicago. I have been here my entire life (travel aside, of course).

Chicago has a lot going for it, in particular for me is that there seems to be an endless supply of jobs in my field. I would probably like Chicago much more if I stopped watching the news and reading the newspaper so much.
When I first moved to Los Angeles, I thought I was going to leave within months, because I really couldn't stand it. But, then I stopped reading the newspaper day to day and decided politics wasn't worth getting worked up over. I voted every election, but just didn't really pay too much attention to the day to day junk. I ended up loving LA. Now, in the burbs of Chicago, I find that the day to day shenanigans doesn't bother me as much any more. I think I am better off focusing my time on other activities, and I am happier for it. Now, certain things still really burn me up, but they are things that happen around the world...

I really like it here. I would only leave the area for very select opportunities, and they would need to be somewhat near my or my wife's family.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
I've been in DC for the past 3 years; I make it home quite often as all my family is in Chicago, and I still own a 3 flat in Lakeview. I am looking for a change from DC, as I don't see myself living here long-term, What I can get for my money in Chicago compared to other cities is insane.
I know what you mean. My sister in law was in town from SF recently. It was the first time she saw our SFH in the City (we just moved in October). She was confused at first because when she saw the address on the building, she thought it was an apartment building but knew we had a house. For the price of our home, you get a 2 BD condo in a decent area of SF.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:35 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,833 times
Quote:
I think it's mostly because there are many neighborhoods where there is little demand for housing and prices range from cheap to dirt cheap. When prices get too high in desirable neighborhoods, people can move to cheaper areas.

There's also simply the fact that there ARE high-crime neighborhoods, which affects people's perception of the city. I call it the ghetto discount. It explains why cities with few black and hispanic people (boston, sf, seattle) have higher prices than cities like Chicago and Philadelphia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago