Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 11:01 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times

Advertisements

On another note, a few days ago I actually say bulldozers and other machinery moving in the Wilson Yard property. Gee, give it another 2-3 years and there might actually be something there!

I myself cant wait for a majority government subsidized low-income housing project as well as a nice Target,movie theater,and a parking garage were the degenerates of Alderman Schillers Uptown can rob,rape, and steal to their hearts delight...

Bring Uptown back to the people! Yo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 11:07 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Overnight? Are you kidding me? This has been the slowest pace of neighborhood change on the North Side. And the reason for that sits in a nice little ward office near Wilson and Broadway in the McJunkin building. Or at least her staff sits there.
Yeah things do not happen overnight (if at all) when you have Alderman Schiller in control.

Quote:
Certain liquor stores are the problem. A Liquor store can do a lot to help the neighbohrood. For instance, Clarendon Foods near my place doesn't sell the types of cheap liquor favored by homeless alcoholics, and guess what? They rarely have any homeless alcoholics inside or outside their store. Stores that sell blunts are also part of the problem.
Does not Jewel sell these types of corrupting devices? Let us take away the Jewel at Montrose and Broadway Liquor section too. See how well that works. The people of Uptown will have to go to Lake View or Edgewater to get their liquor, but they still will get it. The trash of Uptown will get there fix somewhere as well and just return to their abode on the streets of Uptown as long as Schiller is around.

Quote:
You're right. It's actually NICER than the northernnmost part of Lakeview (say Grace to Irving Park). And it has less crime.
At worse it is a draw. Buena Park is in more close proximity to crap areas than the northernmost part of E. Lake View. The "strip" on Broadway between Grace and Irving Park is one of only a couple of problem areas in all of Lake View, but in Uptown there are several.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 07-28-2008 at 11:20 PM..

Old 07-28-2008, 11:52 PM

109 posts, read 281,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
But wait, it's a further walk from Montrose/Sheridan to Wilson or Irving Park than it is from Kenmore/Bryn Mawr to the Red Line stop, surely.

And no way does it take 20 minutes to get from Bryn Mawr to Wilson, or Sheridan/Irving, even. Unless you have 3 or 4 express trains go by.

I'm butting in my opinion on Kenmore/Bryn Mawr vs. Montrose/Sheridan.
I judge places by how the people react to me.
In Edgewater, people that walk past me generally say "hi how are you?" (for instance, this happened tonight at 11pm).
In Uptown, people that walk past me generally either say "hey hot thing how are YOU? *leering shifty eyes*" or "do you have any change?"
So, I like Edgewater better. But that's just me.

Lookout Kid, isn't she sitting in the 48th ward? Doesn't Shiller live in my ward? Or across the street from it? I can't remember.
First, I will survive the extra 3 minute walk, second, I said at most it would be a 20 min. saving... I was being generous if you didn't catch on to that. Last, I am going on my own experiences in Uptown... not someone elses. Btw, I get the same treatment with the "Hi, how are you" as I do in Uptown (Sheridan & Montrose) but I can't speak for you or anyone else.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:36 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdsys View Post
First, I will survive the extra 3 minute walk, second, I said at most it would be a 20 min. saving... I was being generous if you didn't catch on to that. Last, I am going on my own experiences in Uptown... not someone elses. Btw, I get the same treatment with the "Hi, how are you" as I do in Uptown (Sheridan & Montrose) but I can't speak for you or anyone else.
I wasn't trying to be combative. I don't hate Uptown. I don't really hate any particular neighborhood I've visited (even though Avengerfire thought I hated Lakeview for a minute there ). I just thought I would throw my opinion in there. That extra three minute walk will get a little annoying, and you will be saying "GOD why didn't they just put a stop at Montrose and not Wilson!!!!" I only know this because I used to go hang out with a friend at his place on Montrose/Sheridan all the time and compared to walking to Bryn Mawr it's just slightly obnoxious.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:36 AM

109 posts, read 281,190 times
Quote:
I wasn't trying to be combative. I don't hate Uptown. I don't really hate any particular neighborhood I've visited (even though Avengerfire thought I hated Lakeview for a minute there ). I just thought I would throw my opinion in there. That extra three minute walk will get a little annoying, and you will be saying "GOD why didn't they just put a stop at Montrose and not Wilson!!!!" I only know this because I used to go hang out with a friend at his place on Montrose/Sheridan all the time and compared to walking to Bryn Mawr it's just slightly obnoxious.
No worries, I didn't take offense to what you said... just replied that's all. I will be fine with that walk. If I want, I can ride my bike to and from the station and be there real quick. I probably will say that about Wilson and Montrose but in the end I will be fine.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:21 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
so apparently in Uptown it's ok for the Alderbeast's office workers to yell at residents until they cry?

Uptown Update: Ald. Shiller's Staff: 'This Isn't Your College Campus Sweetie'

Old 07-29-2008, 04:39 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
so apparently in Uptown it's ok for the Alderbeast's office workers to yell at residents until they cry?

Some day, even if I've long since left Uptown, I will show up on the day that Alderman Helen Shiller and her office staff move out of that office because of an election defeat. And I will chear and jeer as they pack up their belongings and watch their smug faces turn to frowns. It will happen eventually.

I can't even tell you how much I truly dislike the staff in that office. They are horrible, horrible people.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:44 PM

569 posts, read 1,820,134 times
Quote:

I don't understand how blatant disregard is allowed to continue on here. These actions are so disgracefull. Can someone please explain?

Old 07-29-2008, 07:55 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkylittleton View Post
I don't understand how blatant disregard is allowed to continue on here. These actions are so disgracefull. Can someone please explain?
Shiller has an awesome "get out the vote" machine that is basically built on the strategy of grabbing every wino she can find and dragging them to the polls. She also tells seniors and low-income housing residents that they will lose their homes if they don't vote for her. Fear of change is a powerful force in Uptown politics.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:22 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
When is she up for reelection?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago