Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are your thoughts on graffiti?
Graffiti is a crime. It is breaking the law. Plain and simple. It shouldn't be allowed. I never driven 56 in a "55 MPH" zone. 15 36.59%
Graffiti is a crime... but there are a few people who deserve to showcase their spray painting somewhere. 12 29.27%
Graffiti is a crime, but a part of (mostly) city life. There isn't much we can do about it without infringing on other people's rights. 0 0%
Graffiti has it's place, and can be awesome... But it doesn't have to go away completely. It just needs to show some respect for others. 11 26.83%
Graffiti? F------------ the Man! I'm down with it! 3 7.32%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 09:48 PM

95 posts, read 219,366 times

Advertisements

Gang graffiti- obviously opposed to.

Tagging- opposed to it. There is zero artistic merit behind simply writing the letters VTC on a wall, especially when it is on a person's home/business.

Street art- this is the more Banksy type work, which as long as it is on city property or someone's property who gave permission for it, I have no problem with. Even if it's illegally on city property (such as a viaduct wall), I have no problem with it, because it's interesting to look at, and is generally an improvement over over a blank white wall. It also will sometimes prevent taggers from tagging there. I never support graffiti of any type when it is on a person's property when they did not give permission for it to be there though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 07:52 AM

400 posts, read 957,519 times
VIGILANTE VIGILANTE: The Battle for Expression :: Now Showing In Select Cities

Graffiti : Curbed LA

Check out these links, some guys are a little over board on the anti graffiti thing, I just get rid of ugly tags and gang tags, other stuff I dont care about. Also some people dont know what they are doing or how to remove graffiti. I learned fast for instance that silver spray paint is not easy to use, silver oil paint is very drippy, more than any other, so consequently I use it carefully and very sparingly, looks like one of the guys on these videos doesnt though. Some people make things looks worse when they cover stuff up.

GOOF OFF. good stuff, sometimes it doesnt work but its good first line stuff for ugly small nuisance tags.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:14 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
If you think it is your right to spray paint on state or city or personal property then it should be ok for me or anybody else to go to your house and "express" myself on your walls.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:21 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
I know a guy who owns a building in Old Town, it has a garage off the alley. He's an artist and likes graffiti - likes it to the extent that he encourages anyone with paint to express themselves on his garage. But every 6 months or so, when (presumably) a neighbor who doesn't like graffiti calls 311 - graffiti blasters from the city come by and clean it. It's his damn property, he wants it, yet they continue to erase it against his wishes. He just gets the taggers to graffiti it again. It's a cycle.
This guy sounds like a winner.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:24 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,723 times
If you want to pay someone to come paint something on a piece of property that you or they own, then that's called 'commissioned art'.

If some a-hole with a can of spray paint paints something on a wall owned by someone else, including the government, regardless of how 'pretty' the painting my be, that's called graffiti and deserves to be removed ASAFP.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:36 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
"What are your thoughts on graffiti?"

If someone defaces and damages property, the property owner should have the right to shoot them. A few dead "artists" will be the quickest way to reduce the amount of property damage. Millions of $$ of property damage each year in Chicago alone.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:49 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
"What are your thoughts on graffiti?"

If someone defaces and damages property, the property owner should have the right to shoot them. A few dead "artists" will be the quickest way to reduce the amount of property damage. Millions of $$ of property damage each year in Chicago alone.
seems reasonable.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:05 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
seems reasonable.
No, shooting such people isn't reasonable. Beating the Hell out them though, that sounds reasonable. The threat of a beating from the older men in a neighborhood, many of whom were true badasses, was what used to keep the young badasses in line; you did NOT want to mess with my father or his buddy across the alley, Tony. And the cops knew and didn't mind, made their job easier.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:31 PM

84 posts, read 110,283 times
anyone caught doing graffiti should have a copy of that graffiti tattooed on their entire body at their own expense. At least this might encourage some to do good work.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:34 PM

400 posts, read 957,519 times
I have changed my mind on graffiti,
Most of it is mindless tagging of names,
How long do I want to sit and contemplate short dumb names?
Not very long.....

Street art like Banksy, etc is few and far between,
some stuff is art and 99 plus percent of it is just horrible tagging,
sticker tagging on signs, and tagging signs, and tagging everything
gets really old really fast.

It becomes its own tyranny, the tyranny of the mindless taggers.
It is vandalism, and its boring vandalism.

Wow you came up with a silly short name and went "bombing",
how boring and blase and unoriginal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago