Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 09:12 PM

103 posts, read 302,172 times

Advertisements

I just got here a few months ago and I can say that here is the worst I experience by far. My work requieres me to be on the street driving a lot for meetings and conferences and it is just the worst I've ever experience.

But some of my coworkers say here is not as bad as NYC or LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 09:15 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunch View Post
I just got here a few months ago and I can say that here is the worst I experience by far. My work requieres me to be on the street driving a lot for meetings and conferences and it is just the worst I've ever experience.

But some of my coworkers say here is not as bad as NYC or LA.
Where did you live before here? Peoria?

Old 05-03-2012, 10:37 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
The study that most people are talking about when they say "worst traffic" is usually the Annual Urban Mobility Report. There are some serious issues with the study, primarily that it is only concerned with congestion and has nothing to do with average length of commutes, so if an article says the study defines "the worst commute" is not accurate at all. By the study's criteria it is preferable to have an hour long commute in free flowing traffic than a 15 minute commute in stop and go traffic. Commuters in spread out cities like Atlanta, Dallas, and San Jose have much longer average commutes, but not as much congestion. They don't rank as high on the list, even though you're likely to have a much longer commute in those cities. There are plenty of other studies that use different criteria (such as average distance and time of commutes) and give a more accurate sense of how long the average person's commute is.

In general I don't think getting around Chicago by car is that bad. It is definitely easier than in many other cities I've lived in (Boston, NYC, London, and SF). Even in cities with less congestion I find that it takes me a lot longer to run errands since everything is so spread out. Tomorrow I'm going to be picking up things for a BBQ on Saturday - I'll easily be able to get everything done in less than an hour (get beer, food, charcoal, and wood). In the last few months I've done the same set of errands in Tucson and Indianapolis and spent almost half a day driving all over creation just to get to a Costco and a liquor store with a decent beer selection.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:47 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,872 times
I can easily drive for over an hour when I don't drop below 45, but I'm getting severe anxiety after 10 minutes in the gridlock that is westbound Kennedy traffic.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:53 PM

303 posts, read 579,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post

In general I don't think getting around Chicago by car is that bad. It is definitely easier than in many other cities I've lived in (Boston, NYC, London, and SF). Even in cities with less congestion I find that it takes me a lot longer to run errands since everything is so spread out. Tomorrow I'm going to be picking up things for a BBQ on Saturday - I'll easily be able to get everything done in less than an hour (get beer, food, charcoal, and wood). In the last few months I've done the same set of errands in Tucson and Indianapolis and spent almost half a day driving all over creation just to get to a Costco and a liquor store with a decent beer selection.
I know where your coming from, Chicago isn't spread out so theres less commutes. I always I thought of the city traffic annoying. Few years ago when I use to live outside of Chicago,I use come back one weekend every month. I use to get caught in some type congestion on Sunday night.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:09 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Chaser View Post
Chicago always ranks as the most congested city in the country.
No it doesn't.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:32 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times
Believe it's safe to assume a travler coming into the city from ORD is going to have a negative feeling on Chicago traffic.

Having a job that requires me to drive in and around the city and surrounding area.

Let's just say Chicago has some traffic problems.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:58 AM

103 posts, read 302,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Where did you live before here? Peoria?
Denver, Dallas, San Antonio, Jacksonville, Orlando, Philadelphia, DC, San Diego are some of the places that are either lived or have regular visits cause of work. Again I'm only speaking from experience that's all...

Old 05-04-2012, 07:08 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times
Philly , DC and SD are not exactly smooth commutes

Old 05-04-2012, 07:21 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
The region has 9.5 million people. Traffic can get bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago