Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 06:26 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,575,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
If you "already know" this, why are you contradicting it with inaccurate statements?

Please define "et al". Englewood is literally the one community area out of 77 where violent crime has risen significantly in recent years. This is not the same thing as "large swaths of the south/west sides are in full on free fall into lawless warzones." That statement was a pretty clear indicator that you did not "already know."

Just because large swaths of north/northwest side improvement since the '70s (lake view, lincoln park, cabrini, wicker, et al) has caused city wide crime numbers to improve doesn't mean much of the south/west sides aren't circling the drain....englewood, auburn grasham, grand crossing, east garfield park, woodlawn, west hp, etc are all terrible, not improving and in many cases worse off than they were 10 yrs ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 07:54 AM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
It's hard to compare cities in the US, especially east coast (and chicago) vs west coast cities.

All you have to do is follow a calendar to see. The one metric is pre-automobile, and post automobile. Yes, LA has more population, but it also has much more land. Where in LA can you walk to three bars, a grocery store and two liquor stores within a five-minute walk radius? How many of these can you count in Chicago?

We'll never be as big as New York either. It grew so large because in its time it was the only game in town that could offer munipal services. Chicago a little less, cities out west, far less dependent.

The western part of the country was built around the expressways, while in chicago they had to knock down houses and carve a space out.
How about two grocery stores (Traders Joes and Albertsons), a CVS, a coffee shop, a bank, a cleaners, etc? Cause I walk everyday to those things a block away in the LA neighborhood I live in.

You really just don't have that many corner bars here in LA, or stand alone liquor stores. An abundance/high # of bars and liquor stores per capita would be a little depressing regardless of whether one can walk to them or not.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:58 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Now we're talking:

Emanuel backs decriminalizing small amounts of marijuana - Chicago Sun-Times

This will help us get a far more progressive image/pull in people from the non-backwaters that did this years ago. Nice job, Rahm.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:23 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
How about two grocery stores (Traders Joes and Albertsons), a CVS, a coffee shop, a bank, a cleaners, etc? Cause I walk everyday to those things a block away in the LA neighborhood I live in.

You really just don't have that many corner bars here in LA, or stand alone liquor stores. An abundance/high # of bars and liquor stores per capita would be a little depressing regardless of whether one can walk to them or not.
How holy of thee

Old 06-15-2012, 08:35 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Quote:
An abundance/high # of bars and liquor stores per capita would be a little depressing regardless of whether one can walk to them or not.
I don't know, Wisconsin and Minnesota have a high number of bars per capita, and most people view those states pretty favorable with high qualities of life.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:38 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:

Sounds like my Chicago neighborhood, though switch out trader joe's (which I find stupid) and replace with local ethnic grocer, with fresher fruits and veggies. Oh and lots of corner taverns, which I love.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:56 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,920,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Now we're talking:

Emanuel backs decriminalizing small amounts of marijuana - Chicago Sun-Times

This will help us get a far more progressive image/pull in people from the non-backwaters that did this years ago. Nice job, Rahm.
Yeah, this seems overdue. It's also not legal in New York (though they're talking about it) or Massachusetts, among many others, yet it is legal in Montana and Maine, so it doesn't really split along stereotypical backwater and non-backwater lines.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
I don't know, Wisconsin and Minnesota have a high number of bars per capita, and most people view those states pretty favorable with high qualities of life.
Yep, and Arkansas and Mississippi have very few bars per capita. If anything, I find a lack of bars to be more depressing than the presence of them.

Last edited by Plzeň; 06-15-2012 at 10:29 AM..

Old 06-15-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
Just because large swaths of north/northwest side improvement since the '70s (lake view, lincoln park, cabrini, wicker, et al) has caused city wide crime numbers to improve doesn't mean much of the south/west sides aren't circling the drain....englewood, auburn grasham, grand crossing, east garfield park, woodlawn, west hp, etc are all terrible, not improving and in many cases worse off than they were 10 yrs ago.
I'm not sure which part of "one of 77" you didn't understand. Many of those other 76 are not on the north/northwest side. The "large swaths" generalizations you keep making have no basis in fact.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:44 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
I'm not sure which part of "one of 77" you didn't understand. Many of those other 76 are not on the north/northwest side. The "large swaths" generalizations you keep making have no basis in fact.
Right, it's more like parts of the South side and Lawndale, Austin and West Garfield Park. Cool map created by someone on Skyscraperpage.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/841/commmap.jpg/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago