Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 12:45 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,923,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
there has been so much talk here recently about street crime in Chicago, but one has to put it in perspective. real, bone chilling, blood curling, maniacal crimes come in the form of..

We got a guy in town for business. He ordered an Italian beef with mayonaise and sport peppers.

Please, folks. Have some sensitivity for those of us who tend to get squeamish about such issues. Give your posts X ratings before posting.

and please, please, please, for goodness sake, never post anything about the guy who put ketchup on his Chicago hot dog.

Or if you really want to break my heart...go to Manny's and not only put mayo on your corned beef, but also put it on a couple of slices of white bread.
I heard there were several groups of 20 or 30 business guys from out of town, 500-1000 total, roaming through River North and Gold Coast, ganging up on sandwiches and putting mayo on them. I know it's true because I read it on some random blog. The mainstream media didn't report it because they're in a conspiracy with the mayor's office to keep us in the dark about the scourge of mayo. Our whole city is going down the drain, people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 01:07 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,275,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
I didn't see the show, but I've had dogs at Coney Island and elsewhere, so I'm aware of the differences. I'm not aware of any of them involving ketchup, though. If they do, they shouldn't. I didn't grow up in Chicagoland and didn't even visit until I was over 30, yet I knew that ketchup didn't belong on hot dogs. I didn't learn until fairly recently that some see this as "a Chicago thing". I always just thought it was a hot dog thing. The only version I'm aware of that regularly involves ketchup would be corn dogs, but that's practically a whole different food item, and again, is generally intended for kids.
And in parts of the South, including LaGrange Georgia, they put ketchup on their hot dogs. I know the entire no ketchup on hot dogs blah, blah, blah I grew up here and have been here for 47 years. Just like I don't see why I have to pick one team or another when it comes to baseball allegiances, I don't see why I can't put ketchup on hot dogs if that's my preference. And some rude internet forum person isn't going to chastise me into doing it by calling me childish and tasteless I like a Chicago Style dog and I like the way I make em at home.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:33 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,932,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
And in parts of the South, including LaGrange Georgia, they put ketchup on their hot dogs. I know the entire no ketchup on hot dogs blah, blah, blah I grew up here and have been here for 47 years. Just like I don't see why I have to pick one team or another when it comes to baseball allegiances, I don't see why I can't put ketchup on hot dogs if that's my preference. And some rude internet forum person isn't going to chastise me into doing it by calling me childish and tasteless I like a Chicago Style dog and I like the way I make em at home.
Amen.

Have your hot dog with ketchup....or not.

Root for any Chicago team you want to...or any other team in North America.

The choices are always....YOURS.

--- from a New England-residing, Chicago-loving, hot dog-with ketchup, middle-aged guy...

Old 06-15-2012, 01:33 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,115,816 times
Quote:
And in parts of the South, including LaGrange Georgia, they put ketchup on their hot dogs. I know the entire no ketchup on hot dogs blah, blah, blah I grew up here and have been here for 47 years.
They put ketchup on pizza in Mexico City too. Doesn't make it right.

That said, I agree with you that you should eat what you like, even though its wrong.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:40 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,711,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
They put ketchup on pizza in Mexico City too. Doesn't make it right.

That said, I agree with you that you should eat what you like, even though its wrong.
This sums it up.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:42 PM

99 posts, read 137,216 times
When you are in a certain city, you should take advantage of eating what they are known for.

If you go to Chicago and order an Italian Beef, you order it the Chicago way.

Same goes for Hot Dogs.

Its just simple logic.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:53 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,711,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer31 View Post
When you are in a certain city, you should take advantage of eating what they are known for.

If you go to Chicago and order an Italian Beef, you order it the Chicago way.

Same goes for Hot Dogs.

Its just simple logic.
I agree. Do you go to Spain and eat paella with ketchup or soy sauce?

Gross.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
And in parts of the South, including LaGrange Georgia, they put ketchup on their hot dogs.
That's the same part of the country where they won't drink wine or tea unless it's extremely sweet, either, so that doesn't surprise me. I put their palates in the same category as children's.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:12 PM

583 posts, read 885,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer31 View Post
Can someone explain to me this guy? He is from Buffalo New York. He said it was good.

How can this be good?
It can't. You should have driven him immediately to the Indiana line, kicked him out, and made him fly home through South Bend.

Quote:
BUT at the end of the day, so what? What's it to you except a great way to gossip about human nature.
What it is is a cheapening of Chicago standards. If it was better a different way, that other way would be the Chicago standard. The East Coast stays with the original recipes and never improves. Chicago improved and perfected all the old recipes into the best cuisine in the country. Regression should be resisted. Better that guy went to McDonald's in Chicago than defiled one of our beefs.

Quote:
Okay, when the President or Queen invite me for hot dogs, I will eat them the way they are served. On the other hand if you criticize me for eating a hot dog in my house with ketchup then you will not be invited back.
You shouldn't put catsup on a hot dog in front of guests, any more than you should get randy with your wife in front of guests. That's not good manners. Acts like that are to be kept in secret.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post
It can't. You should have driven him immediately to the Indiana line, kicked him out, and made him fly home through South Bend.
They don't put mayo on Italian beef sandwiches in NW Indiana or South Bend, either. He may have to drive him all the way to Indy or possibly even Louisville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago