Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2012, 09:52 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,276,236 times

Advertisements

And back to original post. The guy showed poor taste and it is a very odd way to eat a Chicago Beef sandwich. If he's never had one "the Chicago way", he is missing out. And we can have fun with the dude and call him a noob, but after experiencing "battles" with my very picky niece and nephews I have learned to live and let live over something that is fairly trivial in the greater scheme of things. The parents allowed them to develop such a limited and indeed childish palate. But otherwise they are very fine kids. And as long as they are nourished it doesn't matter in the long run. But I do have to dig deep for patience when my Mom cooks a fantastic meal and my nephew will only eat a ham sandwich.I have explained that if he eats at his girlfriends house or has a business dinner, his limited palate may be detrimental and perhaps insulting to his hosts. Being this was at a beef stand instead of a formal dinner it serves as no more than an entertaining way to have fun on an internet forum. Maybe this guy would have preferred eating something else and was eating it in a way that made it tolerable to him?

Does remind me of this story (not sure if it is true).
Admiral is on board a Navy ship reviewing the operations and the captain. He notices at meals the captain automatically salts his food without tasting it first. The Admiral questions this and the captain states the food is always under seasoned. The Admiral relives him of duty questioning what other assumptions the captain is making that may be detrimental to the readiness and performance of this ship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 10:32 AM

1,312 posts, read 1,872,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
...Just like I don't see why I have to pick one team or another when it comes to baseball allegiances...
Just a quick side note: I can see how that is a reasonable stand point. It's an even easier place to be in if you know you will never have to pick a side to cheer for in the World Series.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:01 PM

588 posts, read 1,015,718 times
Who eats hot dogs anyway? Mainly kids. All this talk of high culinary refinement is all well and good, but when the subject is a hot dog... may as well discuss the finer points of the best way to prepare grilled cheese cut in dinosaur shapes?

For the record, I don't like mayo. But the typical high horse chicagoan explaining to everyone how they should eat is comical. Lots of chicagoans think they live in the center of the universe.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:21 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,452,690 times
Default Must a New Yorker...

Pal, anybody that thinks meat shrouded in sausage casing makes it a toy for babies ain't spent time in Chicago. We've had Vienna Beef as the undisputed king of hot dogs since the Columbian Exhibition of 1893, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienna_Beef, dozens of family empires that have risen and fallen on the waves of sausage economics from the global to the local, the most humble to the most ambitious. If you wanna fight we can take any little dino-shaped chunks of grilled cheese and suffocate you with 'em

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_Mayer

Andy's Deli E-store

Bobak Sausage Company

Polish Sausage King

Skillet Doux: Hot Doug's ... or ... Why All Meat Should Be Encased

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
Who eats hot dogs anyway? Mainly kids. All this talk of high culinary refinement is all well and good, but when the subject is a hot dog... may as well discuss the finer points of the best way to prepare grilled cheese cut in dinosaur shapes?

For the record, I don't like mayo. But the typical high horse chicagoan explaining to everyone how they should eat is comical. Lots of chicagoans think they live in the center of the universe.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:47 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,219,317 times
Quote:
Much of what passes as a hot dog nowadays is geared towards kids or people who want something with no flavor - i.e. Oscar Mayer.

Ultimately good "hot dogs" are good beef sausages with a natural casing and a distinctive garlic, mustard and paprika taste. I don't think any of the companies that produce good "hot dogs" package them as "hot dogs". Usually they're Beef Frankfurters, or some variation on that name. Vienna and Bobak's are both good and easily available. Paulina Market has great Frankfurters and Vienna-style sausages (AKA "wieners").

Old 06-19-2012, 05:00 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,516,225 times
Quote:
Lots of chicagoans think they live in the center of the universe.
We do when it comes to hot dogs. Betta recognize!

Old 06-19-2012, 05:36 PM

588 posts, read 1,015,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Pal, anybody that thinks meat shrouded in sausage casing makes it a toy for babies ain't spent time in Chicago. We've had Vienna Beef as the undisputed king of hot dogs since the Columbian Exhibition of 1893, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienna_Beef, dozens of family empires that have risen and fallen on the waves of sausage economics from the global to the local, the most humble to the most ambitious. If you wanna fight we can take any little dino-shaped chunks of grilled cheese and suffocate you with 'em

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_Mayer

Andy's Deli E-store

Bobak Sausage Company

Polish Sausage King

Skillet Doux: Hot Doug's ... or ... Why All Meat Should Be Encased
Actually I lived in the Chicago area for almost 2 decades. Thanks for the funny impression of a testy Chicagoan... that brings back memories!

Old 06-20-2012, 09:48 AM

1,312 posts, read 1,872,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Abe Froman? Is it really you?

Old 06-20-2012, 09:57 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,452,690 times
Listen, when I eat at Chez Quis I pay my tab buddy...

Old 06-20-2012, 11:07 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,558,552 times
Quote:
Actually I lived in the Chicago area for almost 2 decades. Thanks for the funny impression of a testy Chicagoan... that brings back memories!

Aah, yes, I forgot that the Pacific Northwest is the land of culture & refinement, and not the land of smelly, entitled hipsters swilling coffee while wearing rain jackets, and looking down their noses at everyone else. OOPS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago