Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 10:48 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,920,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
LOL. What are they supposed to write?
I wasn't saying what they should or shouldn't do. I was simply correcting a post about what they do do.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:55 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times
"The media" is just a bunch of different people doing a job. Like anything, some reporters are good; some bad.

Of course they sensationalize news, that is the only way to get the knuckleheads of this country to tune in and keep them in business.

Otherwise everyone would read The Economist.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:20 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
The Sun-Times has an interesting take on it. They claim that the dudes were shooting a rap video and were being taunted.

They didn't have an interesting take or claim anything. They quoted family members of the accused saying that...

Four charged with Wrigleyville beatings were shooting a rap video: relatives - Chicago Sun-Times

The men actually were filming an upbeat, “celebration” rap video along bustling North Clark Street early Sunday when violence erupted after passersby began taunting them and hurling racial slurs at the four black men, family members said.

“He was defending himself, that’s what all of them were doing,” said Lillian Nichols, whose son, 31-year-old Edward Robinson, was one of those arrested. “It was just like a brawl, but they were the only ones arrested.”

Cook County prosecutors painted a starkly different picture, saying Robinson and three other men abruptly attacked nightclub patrons and passersby as they walked down Clark Street.

“They were hitting people for no apparent reason,” Assistant State’s Attorney Lorraine Scaduto said as the four — who all have felony convictions — appeared in bond court.

Since there was a video taken, this should be easy enough to resolve, right? I'm not holding my breath for this video to appear in the Tribune or Sun-Times but you would assume prosecutors did see it at least. Hopefully justice is served.

Last edited by linicx; 07-11-2012 at 10:32 AM..

Old 07-10-2012, 11:41 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,135,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DipGrant View Post
Relatives say that the video tape will prove the innocent of the men who allegedly beat several people in that neighborhood. Remember they are innocent until proven guilty. I have no doubt in my mind that racial slurs were thrown out which instigated them to possibly brawl it out with the racists. Why would black men older than 30 who have rap sheets, a couple of them on parole, go out to a neighborhood that is predominantly white, with their main motive being to attack residents living in the area (supposed white people)? These are not teenagers, these are grown men who were trying to put their past behind them. It does not make sense...the profile of suspects usually committing this crime are teenagers.

No doubt in my mind racial slurs were thrown out, and as a former black male living and traveling in that neighborhood along with all the touristy areas in the North Side of Chicago, i know how racist the residents can become. I just dont get it, I rarely experience it in any other trendy neighborhoods in big cities, however in Chicago it seems like most of the residents who reside in these areas are racist. Two wrongs dont make a right but these charges should be thrown out if slurs are mentioned at any part in the video. It is unacceptable and whoever got beat should be charged with a hate crime.
How does one go about being a former black male?

Old 07-10-2012, 11:49 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,135,259 times
It sounds like they may well have been taunted, but not by the people they assaulted.
At least two of the victims were hit from behind. What kind of coward punches someone in the back of the neck?

Old 07-10-2012, 11:52 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
It sounds like they may well have been taunted, but not by the people they assaulted.
At least two of the victims were hit from behind. What kind of coward punches someone in the back of the neck?
Even if it's proven they were taunted verbally, no judge in their right mind is going to give them a break because of that. It's a stupid cop-out reason. Beating someone because they were calling you names, no matter how bad, is not a self defense excuse. Not even close.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:56 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Where they randomly hit from behind? Did they previously swing on them? You don't know?

Old 07-10-2012, 12:02 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Where they randomly hit from behind? Did they previously swing on them? You don't know?
Nobody knows 100%. This entire thread is complete hearsay. Stop worrying so much about this and wait until the trial and investigation into it. It's ridiculous.

I had friends in the area that night when it happened.They could say anything they want. It doesn'nt mean any of it happened or didn't happen.

It's absolutely ridiculous the amount of over reaction in this thread to this. Nobody knows 100% what happened. So how about we wait until a trial when the facts start coming out huh, or when their film is released. We could sit here for days going over ridiculous "but what if..." scenarios.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:02 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
How does one go about being a former black male?
Radical surgery.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:15 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
nobody knows 100%. This entire thread is complete hearsay. Stop worrying so much about this and wait until the trial and investigation into it. It's ridiculous.

I had friends in the area that night when it happened.they could say anything they want. It doesn'nt mean any of it happened or didn't happen.

It's absolutely ridiculous the amount of over reaction in this thread to this. Nobody knows 100% what happened. So how about we wait until a trial when the facts start coming out huh, or when their film is released. We could sit here for days going over ridiculous "but what if..." scenarios.
ok
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago