Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2012, 08:32 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times

Advertisements

I personally think if Chicago had the integration of Charlotte Nc. We wouldn't be having these experiences. I can't believe people defend segregation.

Now that I thought about it maybe that lead to more covert racism. IMO, that's just as bad if not worse.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:07 PM

440 posts, read 1,502,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
when its black on white violence why is it a "scuffle"??? troubled youth or a terrible misunderstanding?? but white on black violence its a "KKK lynching"????
Much of the news media really, really wants to portray the poor African American as some kind of "noble savage" standing up to the opression of the evil white man. And when reality, like the obviously racially-motivated beatings we have seen in the news lately, interferes with their little scenario, they don't quite know how to react.

So they give it a white wash.

But for those of us who had the luxury of growing up around blacks, the scenario of roving gangs looking for random white people to beat is actually quite familiar.

The blacks in my high school used to do EXACTLY this, 40+ years ago. They'd gang up 10-15 and roam the halls looking for anyone white they could beat up. Guys, girls (they LOVED grabbing white girls by the hair and slamming them into the lockers), looking for trouble or minding your own business, it didn't matter.

You'd get beaten up because you are white, and just like now, no black person EVER seems to have a problem with that or EVER seems to have anything negative to say about it beyond the mandatory "tsk-tsk. Isn't that a shame (LOL)". I even remember hearing the exact same "a random white person said something to someone, so that gives someone the right to beat up any random white person" rationalization you are hearing from some of the so-called adults in this forum and in the media.

The truth is, the majority of my black friends in high school were actually quite happy and proud to see white kids being beaten by gangs of blacks. It made them feel good about themselves. And frankly, I would be astonished if the majority of AA's in this city DIDN'T feel happy and proud to see gangs of blacks beating up whites.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:08 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
I'd love to see the video before reaching any final conclusions.

Taking for the moment the basic claims at face value: for anyone who yelled "n*****" and got their ass beat for it, well, that's what you get for being a mouthy p**** and you're probably lucky it didn't happen to you sooner in your life. On the other side of the coin, if your first impulse is to pile out of the limo and basically prove them right, well, that lack of impulse control is probably why you have up to 8 felony convictions and congratulations that you likely just earned your 9th. It's also not a good career move when there's already a warrant out on you.

Mooks all around.

Last edited by linicx; 07-10-2012 at 04:21 PM..

Old 07-09-2012, 09:25 PM

578 posts, read 1,092,779 times
Oh God I am so sick of this violence. This has been a horrible summer. Perhaps Obama should come home and have a nice little fireside chat about being successful and not throwing away life due to committing or being a victim of violence. I honestly think these kids might listen. This has to stop.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:40 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deliz View Post
Oh God I am so sick of this violence. This has been a horrible summer. Perhaps Obama should come home and have a nice little fireside chat about being successful and not throwing away life due to committing or being a victim of violence. I honestly think these kids might listen. This has to stop.
Nothing can take the place of a solid home life as a child.

IMO, it's not about money it's about home.

This on the other hand is not about kids. These are grown men. Can't wait to see the video.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:50 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
That sort of stuff happens all the time, trust me. I have a friend who has worked in numerous bars and clubs on the north side and he always has stories of drunk white tossing around racial slurs. Many of these guys end up getting their asses beat. I've also experienced it first-hand. It's nothing new and to be expected.
Coming from a white person who hangs around with people of all different races, I think ethnic slurs are fairly even distributed. I get things said to me about as often as my asian, black, and mexican friends.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:02 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Why c do some people have to always start trouble.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:03 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,135,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Reminds me of my first night having moved to Chicago. I was in the Loop at maybe 9pm. My friend was staying at the Palmer House and I was walking back to my place. Just outside the Chicago Theatre a group of young black men (probably 6-8 of them) approached me. I was on the right hand side, and they tried to basically start a fight with me by bumping into me even though I was just walking and not doing anything, not even looking at them. They tried to bump into me and said something about "white boy" which is funny since I'm not actually uh..white...and I was older than all of them. But that's besides the point. I wasn't even doing anything and they purposely tried to bump into me and start something.

It was my first day in Chicago and kind of confused me why people would try that, but now I understand that some people are just up to no good.
I had a very similar experience recently (In my case it was a group of Latin Kings), and just bit my tongue and moved on, even though I was pretty sure I could have handled the instigator, there was still his rather sizeable posse to deal with. There was no upside to being Billy Badass in this case. I have been in this neighborhood for 7 (mostly) uneventful years now, and maybe I was getting a little to complacent about my surroundings. This incident certainly cured me of that, but it still doesn't put me in a racial panic, it was one negative experience which is greatly outweighed by many positive experiences with people of all races. The last statistics I saw put Humboldt Park at maybe 3-5% white demographically (I think this is outdated based on the demographic shift I've witnessed the last few years, but still...) This ain't the place to live if you're going to be fearful of non-whites.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:12 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,135,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
Coming from a white person who hangs around with people of all different races, I think ethnic slurs are fairly even distributed. I get things said to me about as often as my asian, black, and mexican friends.
I also hang with people of many races. I just don't go there, even jokingly. I've seen a good natured joking of that sort between friends get ugly really quickly, especially when alcohol is involved. Don't get me wrong, I love to bust my friends chops, but I keep race out of it. And mothers. I never joke about anyones mother (Unless she's really ugly).

Old 07-10-2012, 03:14 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
Default No

Physically assaulting another might be called 'animal behavior'. However, verbally taunting might be called a type of profiling or an act of civil disobedience. The groups are equally guilty and should feel the sting of Chicago's legal system equally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
I'll wait to see these videos before I believe what is being said by the families. It still doesn't excuse them from getting out of the limo, if true, and physically attacking someone. That is animal behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago