Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 07:45 AM

34 posts, read 82,432 times

Advertisements

Hello guys---

My second post here---

I'm still looking to move into Chicago for the first time, and I have a few questions after some research here--

My background is that I'm 24, graduated over 2 years ago, just got a job in the city (by Olgilvy station).

I'll basically be starting a social life from square one, and am also into theater arts/ improv stuff etc if that's relevant. So I want to be at a place where there's stuff to do and people go outside ha, young single people, etc.

From my research here it basically seems the Lincoln Park and Lakeview areas (and maybe Old Town as well - which I sort of like because it's by Second City, Zanies, and some theatres) ----- is the path du jour for fresh grads from out-of-town, sort of Yuppie-ish, and potentially filled with frat douches or superficial socialites and that's not really my scene. However it is closer to the lake, and it seems like it might have a better nightlife (at least that's my impression from the forums) and more stuff going on. And it probably also costs more $$$.

Than there's the less traditional option --- Ukie Village, Wicker Park, and Bucktown --- which from my impression here, is a bit more Bohemian and artsy, more substance than style probably, and also has a lot going on and stuff to do. The prices are probably better (I think). However, I'm wondering if the nightlife is still pretty active, and whether a 24 year old will fit in with the crowd in these areas.

Then I've been looking at Roscoe Village, which seems like it could be interesting as well and is kind of between these two different parts of town.

I don't know. Does anyone have any impressions of these areas or any general thoughts? I'm a little overwhelmed by the options here.

My budget is probably $800 - $1000 for monthly rent; still not 100% sure if I want a one bedroom or to live with a roommate or two.

Also, I've seen someone on here say avoid garden apartments for some reason. Why is that? What's the difference between a garden apartment (the 3 flat?) vs a high rise vs a smaller rental building?

I'm a bit green when it comes to all this apartment searching stuff; any advice would be greatly welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 08:06 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,167,803 times
Ukrainian Village or Logan Square would fit your budget better than LV/LP/OT, and probably be more artsy. OT/LP is for more established artists or older artists who moved there when it was young and edgier and stayed. For someone starting out, I think Ukrainian Village or Logan Square or maybe even Bridgeport or East Pilsen would be more appropriate. Bridgeport is a little less connected to the existing scenes on the north side, but there is a strong clustering of artists there, although more physical art than performance art.

Roscoe Village would be fine, but a bit more expensive and fewer people fitting your desired profile.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:10 AM

483 posts, read 842,121 times
I would say that you are generally right in how you distinguish those two major areas, but that you over-state it a bit.

LP/LV/OT (let's call Northside) will be more likely to have frat-boy/yuppie types, but WP/B have their fair share as well.

Price are definitely lower in WP/Bucktown but not a huge difference. Although at $800-1000/month price range maybe the differences are more significant. Around the $2000/month price range, I would say WP/Bucktown saves you $100-200 total per month in comparable quality apartments.

"Better" nightlife is subjective. While I recently moved from Bucktown to Lake View, I feel that WP/Bucktown's nightlife is better in general.

The main difference is that the Northside has many square miles of fairly dense and safe nightlife/restaurants, whereas outside of a few clusters it is more spread out in WP/Bucktown. But nightlife and restaurant quality is just as good or better in the NW side. I would not worry about that for a second, including as a 24 year old. If you've never lived in a big city, the Damen/North/Milwaukee area will be like mecca to you.

(Side note: In my opinion, Old Town has some of the worst restaurants and possibly the worst nightlife in all of Chicago's popular neighborhoods.)

Two other things to note:
- Ukrainian Village is, in my opinion, a bit more like I think you think WP/Bucktown is like - meaning more bohemian and affordable. WP/Bucktown is pretty gentrified/commercial at this point, not that that's necessarily a bad thing.
- Roscoe Village is by far the most laid back, family-oriented area of the ones you're considering. It's very nice, but much quieter.

I tend to think that garden apartments are seen negatively due to: less sunlight, greater susceptibility to break-ins, greater likelihood of bugs, often lower ceilings, and a sometimes inaccurate perception that they tend to be dingier. Would you prefer to live in a renovated basement or a normal 2nd floor?

Old 07-31-2012, 09:23 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,919,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rca215 View Post
- Ukrainian Village is, in my opinion, a bit more like I think you think WP/Bucktown is like - meaning more bohemian and affordable.
This. It's also the only neighborhood of those listed here where you're likely to find a decent apartment in the OP's stated budget without roommates.

Last edited by Plzeň; 07-31-2012 at 10:07 AM..

Old 07-31-2012, 10:15 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,167,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rca215 View Post
I tend to think that garden apartments are seen negatively due to: less sunlight, greater susceptibility to break-ins, greater likelihood of bugs, often lower ceilings, and a sometimes inaccurate perception that they tend to be dingier. Would you prefer to live in a renovated basement or a normal 2nd floor?
That and the constant threat of flooding. I know there are garden apartments that have never flooded. I am also of the experienced opinion that they are in the minority. If they face the street, they are also typically noisier and the increased risk of breakins should not be minimized if you have anything worth stealing. I live on the fourth floor of a place and have never even had someone try to break in. I live in a safe area and while there haven't been any hard-core break-in attempts, the people on the first floor had so many casual attempts they put bars on their windows. And I'd say that less sunlight and higher humidity is the definition of dingy. Some garden apartments with bright lighting, decent heating and good enough sealing to keep the humidity at bay won't be dingy, but a great number of them lack in light and have an abundance of humidity.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:27 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,617,107 times
I vastly prefer smaller buildings; only that basement unit is the one to stay away from. Courtyard buildings are also typically nice and are more common on the northside.

We lived in Wicker Park right at the heart of 6 corners and it's a lovely neighborhood but if we were doing it all over again (and commute wasn't an issue) I don't think it would have been our first choice neighborhood as two 23 year olds. Honestly it's hard to go wrong with Lakeview -- if you want the lake, stay in a high rise on the east side of the neighborhood, if you want to party all the time go with Wrigleyville and if you want dense and walkable with a bit more of a neighborhood feel go with Southport Corridor.

I like Roscoe Village but it skews just a touch older than I think you're looking for.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:26 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,061,771 times
UV/WP etc is more your speed potentially. But if you really want to be close to the lake, Lakeview could work too. Yes there are a plenty of yuppies there, but there are also a lot of eclectic people. Walk down Broadway or Belmont sometime. Plenty of non-yuppy people. Tons of them even.

I also would disagree on the substance v style portion. WP/Bucktown/etc are still pretty trendy. Most of the cool and hip places to go are over there.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:43 PM

34 posts, read 82,432 times
Ha, while I definitely appreciate all the info in this thread so far, I'm still not certain about where I want to live between the two general areas (which I seemed to have stereotyped a bit, but just going by some of the more colorful threads here) --- other than probably scratching Roscoe Village off the list, and avoiding the basement rooms, ha.

Would walking around these areas provide any value? I might try doing that ---- any other general impressions of each area and pricing info would be useful.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:43 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,971,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterparker20 View Post

From my research here it basically seems the Lincoln Park and Lakeview areas (and maybe Old Town as well - which I sort of like because it's by Second City, Zanies, and some theatres) ----- is the path du jour for fresh grads from out-of-town, sort of Yuppie-ish, and potentially filled with frat douches or superficial socialites and that's not really my scene. However it is closer to the lake, and it seems like it might have a better nightlife (at least that's my impression from the forums) and more stuff going on. And it probably also costs more $$$.
All this tells me is you're young and green and like to put people in boxes, it doesn't say anything of what you're actually looking for in a place to live. Lake View and Lincoln Park have like 140,000 people, we're not talking about frat row at land-grant university X here. You'd do well to think less in terms of what "type" of person lives in a certain neighborhood, and more in terms of what you like to do with your time and what neighborhood best facilitates that.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:12 PM

483 posts, read 842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterparker20 View Post
Would walking around these areas provide any value? I might try doing that ---- any other general impressions of each area and pricing info would be useful.
Yes, walking around helps (especially in actually finding an apartment).

Another thing to keep in mind is how important it is for you to be able to easily get to other parts of the city. In my opinion, WP/Bucktown, and especially Ukrainian Village, make it tougher to get to other parts of Chicago via CTA, which can get annoying and/or expensive. Not all parts, mind you, just lots of ones that I wanted to go to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago