Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 12:18 AM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Arenn is right.
Basically in a nutshell.
Follow what Arenn is saying and Chicago will rebound and be that supported Capital of the midwest.
ignore and dont follow what Arenn is saying and Chicago will be the larger version of Detroit.
Either outcome and the midwest will be fine. There are replacements for Chicago however it would be in Chicago's best interest to take Arenns advice.
As the old saying goes Corruption has a Price.
Ehh... If Chicago were going to turn into Detroit because of corruption, it would've happened already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 09:52 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,167,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Ehh... If Chicago were going to turn into Detroit because of corruption, it would've happened already.
The truth is that corruption may well have been what kept it from becoming Detroit.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:34 AM

1,312 posts, read 1,869,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
The truth is that corruption may well have been what kept it from becoming Detroit.

Even though I live in America, and I believe in the people having an actual say in what happens... I can't help but see the positives associated with corruption (I see the negatives too, don't get me wrong).

Millenium Park anyone?

How much money did that cost the taxpayers of Chicago? How much was it over budget? How much was it pushed through by a "dictator" of a mayor?

And then look at this:

Slideshow: 25 Most Photographed Places | Travel Deals, Travel Tips, Travel Advice, Vacation Ideas | Budget Travel

Ahead of the Roman Coliseum? Which has been around for thousands of years while Millennium Park has been around for around 10?

Old 11-21-2012, 12:05 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,876,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
Ahead of the Roman Coliseum? Which has been around for thousands of years while Millennium Park has been around for around 10?
You realize the Coliseum functioned as a giant obsolete quarry for over a millennium though, right?

Regardless, there's not a hell of a lot more crappy subsidized condo units than there are Millennium Parks in Chicago.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:22 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
Did anyone read Renn's "last" Chicago post? Pretty silly.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:44 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,104,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Did anyone read Renn's "last" Chicago post? Pretty silly.
Only because this topic keeps being discussed here. He can deny it all he wants, but it still seems like all his negativity really stems from the hit he took on his condo, and the fact he lived here during the worst of the recession.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:50 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Only because this topic keeps being discussed here. He can deny it all he wants, but it still seems like all his negativity really stems from the hit he took on his condo, and the fact he lived here during the worst of the recession.
I agree.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:54 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,167,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
I'd be pissed if I took a huge hit on my condo and all I got out of it was a move to Providence.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:18 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,209,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I'd be pissed if I took a huge hit on my condo and all I got out of it was a move to Providence.
LOL - I think the big thing was he thought his middling success in Chicago would result in tremendous success elsewhere (i.e NYC). He really couldn't make it in Chicago, then tried going to NYC and failed. Then he moved on to Providence after an NYC fail. He'll probably be in Worcester in a couple years. or maybe Fitchburg. Fitchburg/Leominster has a receptive audience for the crap he's selling.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:20 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,910,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
LOL - I think the big thing was he thought his middling success in Chicago would result in tremendous success elsewhere (i.e NYC). He really couldn't make it in Chicago, then tried going to NYC and failed. Then he moved on to Providence after an NYC fail. He'll probably be in Worcester in a couple years. or maybe Fitchburg. Fitchburg/Leominster has a receptive audience for the crap he's selling.
Worcester, and then Fitchburg. That's REALLY livin'.....LOL

No doubt that all this will be construed as "simplifying one's life"..."getting out of the rat race"..etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago