Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 03:46 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Best guess is it a casserole.
That's what I was thinking. Looks to me like a casserole with a bunch of odds and ends thrown together. As in leftovers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 03:54 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataEast Reborn View Post
Indianapolis native here studying in Cincinnati. Cincy is an ugly unplanned ghetto craphole and I would never live here after college (unless a lucrative job opportunity comes along). But I don't think you can compare a world class city (3rd largest in the US) like Chicago to very many cities. But if you'd prefer a close city that doesn't have that depressing rust belt image like every other city in the Midwest then I suggest Indy. It has some of the lowest costs of living in the nation and is the fastest growing or something like that (most net gain?). It'll never be as great as Chicago but its livable for a little while until you find something else. I mean, its better than Detroit, the Nasty Nati, Leaveland, St. Louis, and Louisville.
Thank you! well said dude
Took the words right out of my mouth.
Indianapolis offers many great amendities for a low cost of living.
The Dollar always goes farther in Indianapolis not to mention Super Bowl 46 turned Indy into the Party Capital of the World for 10 days.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:58 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer22 View Post
My list would be, other than Chicago --

1. Columbus, OH
2. SE Michigan (Detroit/suburbs/Ann Arbor)
3. Bloomington, IN
4. Champaign/Urbana, IL (where I am now)
5. Milwaukee, WI
6. St. Louis, MO
7. Toledo & Bowling Green, OH
8. Cincinnati, OH
9. Cleveland, OH

Quad Cities are the most boring place on earth; Indy is pretty close.

Cleveland doesn't rank higher for me because the downtown is so fragmented and dead. Having the Indians, though, and Lake Erie, is a plus.

Ohio in general though, and SE Michigan, you have more of an East Coast outlook... people in the cities tend to move a little faster and value education more.

Indiana, Illinois outside Chicago, and Iowa = the doldrums.

Toledo/Bowling Green would be VERY high on my list if there were jobs there. The people are great and the universities are very integrated with the community. Great place to go to school and to be involved.
Agreed about Bloomington. I think it's an oft-overlooked city, but I love that it's an island of progressiveness in a sea of, well...Southern Indiana. It's got a great music scene, natural beauty, varied topography, and just an overall relaxed vibe. Milder winters as well than a lot of other cities in the Midwest. I would absolutely move there if I had the right job opportunity.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer22 View Post
My list would be, other than Chicago --

1. Columbus, OH
2. SE Michigan (Detroit/suburbs/Ann Arbor)
3. Bloomington, IN
4. Champaign/Urbana, IL (where I am now)
5. Milwaukee, WI
6. St. Louis, MO
7. Toledo & Bowling Green, OH
8. Cincinnati, OH
9. Cleveland, OH

Quad Cities are the most boring place on earth; Indy is pretty close.

Cleveland doesn't rank higher for me because the downtown is so fragmented and dead. Having the Indians, though, and Lake Erie, is a plus.

Ohio in general though, and SE Michigan, you have more of an East Coast outlook... people in the cities tend to move a little faster and value education more.

Indiana, Illinois outside Chicago, and Iowa = the doldrums.

Toledo/Bowling Green would be VERY high on my list if there were jobs there. The people are great and the universities are very integrated with the community. Great place to go to school and to be involved.
You lose alot of crediability when you say Indianapolis is boring and yet you place Bloomington, Indiana #3 on your list....................
Indianapolis has IUPUI. Is 20X Bigger than Bloomington and has an awsome Downtown with hundreds of local shops/resturants/museums etc.
From Wikipedia: Forbes rank Indianapolis as one of the best downtowns in the United States citing "more than 200 retail shops, more than 35 hotels, nearly 300 restaurants and food options, movie theaters, sports venues, museums, art galleries and parks" as attractions

Oh and what they didnt mention all of that is within Walking Distance.
Plus Indianapolis has the lowest cost of living of any major US city and the nations most affordable housing market. Also our city won rave reviews from the Media and NFL for Super Bowl 46. Indy is going to bid again for Super Bowl 52 or 53............ It would be the first Northern city that host 2 super bowls in the same stadium. Detroit had to build 2 taxpayer funded stadiums to get their 2 Super Bowls.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:56 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
Meat, potato and veggie was the staple of the american farm diet for over 100 years. Families ate what they could grow, catch, trap, kill, raise, or trade. Many of the casserole type dishes look like leftovers when they cool sufficiently. Hot studio lights do casserole type foods no favors, and sometimes what is pictured isn't even real food. Those shiny green peas might be made out of wax, resin of ceramic. It depends upon what photographs best. As a whole Illinois cooks do a good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
That's what I was thinking. Looks to me like a casserole with a bunch of odds and ends thrown together. As in leftovers.

Old 09-23-2012, 02:29 PM

934 posts, read 1,441,390 times
Well I don't live in Chicago, but...

I like Midwestern cities. I'd consider Minneapolis/St. Paul, maybe Madison or Milwaukee-- I haven't been to either yet. Fort Wayne maybe some day, and Kansas City is nice especially the new Kauffman Center. Also I have family there to keep me busy.

I live in Indy now, and like it. People **** and moan about how boring it is (including the locals) yet the city seems to always be holding events. Today alone there are around 50 or so events, concerts, openings and shows going on.

Old 09-23-2012, 02:44 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
No and wouldn't consider it. I'm not from the Midwest nor do I have any family in the rest of the greater region, so not much of a point or appeal. The only other places I have ever considered and actually lived in are places like NYC/DC/Boston/SF/LA and possibly somewhere like Atlanta/South Florida to be closer to my family. Chicago was appealing b/c it's a major, pedestrian oriented city which could provide similar amenities and options of places I originally considered at a pretty low cost of living, otherwise I would have probably moved to NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Spoiled much? Ever been truly hungry without the means to have decent food? But, "oh, it's not (insert the latest, trendiest restaurant) so I'm going to turn my nose up at it"! Oy friggin vey!! Sorry, but I detest pickiness or over smugness when it comes to food choices The picture actually depicts a casserole that doesn't look half bad. Did you actually try a bite of that specific casserole?! Well then who are you to judge?
It looks like frozen tater tots and canned peas, in other words, terrible and something suitable to serve as mush to a 5 year old or somebody in a nursing home. I never grew up eating stuff like that, even if you are poor, why would you be buying low quality processed tater tots... Plenty of poor country mothers were able to whip up some niced mashed potatoes and fresh peas or other country food without it looking disgusting or being bought from the freezer section at kmart. I love casseroles, but not that processed stuff...

Last edited by grapico; 09-23-2012 at 03:01 PM..

Old 09-23-2012, 03:17 PM

389 posts, read 920,911 times
When I worked for Ibm, I relocated from Chicago suburbs to Dubuque, Iowa. I then just got out of college. I don't think I learned a lot there and after 1 year I was tired of the place and found another job in Chicago area and moved back. Everything there was too slow and nothing much to do. Im in IT. I might consider moving to SF or DC where most new IT jobs are growing, but perhaps only if I got higher salary for the same level of job/career where I am in now.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:48 PM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Everyones different, and everyone has different priorities but it is possible, as long as you are not one of those who is saving tons of money by not having a car in the city, to live in another midwestern metropolis between 1 and 4 million people within 5 or even 8 hours away (Mil, STL, Det, Cleve, Cincy, MPLS, Pitts (not really midwest)) and experience 1/4 or 1/2 of what you can experience in Chicago, with a much lower cost of living/housing, and just go to Chicago a few times a year to experience those "only in Chicago" things.

But it just depends on what one likes, is interested, in, etc. But I think one could still save some money, living in bargain, yet nice truly urban neighborhoods in other midwest cities like Central West End or Soulard in STL, Mt. Adams in Cincy, Midtown Detroit, University Circle, Ohio City, etc in Cleveland, several areas in Minneapolis which are all urban neighborhoods with amenities, cultural attractions.

Obviously none of those have anything like the Near North Side (which is basically Manhattan of the midwest) but you can visit Chicago for only Chicago things a few times a year.

Of course, if you don't have a car in Chicago and take public transit everywhere, then the cost effectiveness is not there so much. And this wouldn't apply.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
Well I don't live in Chicago, but...

I like Midwestern cities. I'd consider Minneapolis/St. Paul, maybe Madison or Milwaukee-- I haven't been to either yet. Fort Wayne maybe some day, and Kansas City is nice especially the new Kauffman Center. Also I have family there to keep me busy.

I live in Indy now, and like it. People **** and moan about how boring it is (including the locals) yet the city seems to always be holding events. Today alone there are around 50 or so events, concerts, openings and shows going on.
+1 and cookies for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago